Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

So the dealer installed an alarm on top of my factory alarm? WTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:51 PM

So the dealer installed an alarm on top of my factory alarm? WTF

Ok, so i bought a 2004 Maxima SL...

My buying conditions were that i would receive the keyless remotes along with the sale of the car. They told me a 3rd party company would be coming to program them for me. This was not a Nissan dealership so they made me an appointment to come in and get them programmed to my Maxima. They told me at no point that this 3rd party company would be installing an aftermarket alarm system in my car, as when i picked it up, it came with cheap key fobs, made by Audiovox, AVX01BT3CL4 (transmitter) and Pursuit Series - Pro 9845B is the receiver it seems, as per the paperwork they left in my backseat. (found the box under the dash too, and an on/off toggle switch for something?)

The only thing i can reason is that this 3rd party makes more money installing an entire alarm system than to just program two remotes, but it pisses me off because I did not want another alarm system installed over the top of the factory anti-theft.

Is this even a good system? My neighbors are annoyed by the horn going off every time i access my car and it annoys me as well, i just read that i can change that but id rather just go back to the factory system, i don't have theft issues where i live. And to top it off, i cant program the 1 & 2 custom users to these key fobs.

I'm thinking about getting them to remove this damn setup.
I even went to roll the windows down before i got in today and the unlock button sets off the alarm in panic mode for 30 seconds, and i wasn't sure what to think at first. The biggest issue i have is the long *** delay from the time you press unlock, to the time the door unlocks.. its at least 4 or 5 seconds, even tho the horn chirps right away. What the hell?

Just looking for feedback on this alarm setup and what you guys think i should do. Had i known they would install an alarm system i woulda just bought my own dang nissan key fobs. Lastly, if they wont remove it for me for free, how much would i expect to pay simply to have it removed?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:20 AM
tastey wheat

I would take it back to the dealer and have them remove it. Hopefully they won't claim "its been too long now" or some bs like that. Audiovox and everything they own is just a disease, they're just a terrible company. The long delay for unlock is partly because of the double pulse unlock system in our max's, but it shouldn't take that long...

Have the dealer remove it and demand some factory Nissan key fobs. Tell them to do what they gotta do.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mendon99
I would take it back to the dealer and have them remove it. Hopefully they won't claim "its been too long now" or some bs like that. Audiovox and everything they own is just a disease, they're just a terrible company. The long delay for unlock is partly because of the double pulse unlock system in our max's, but it shouldn't take that long...

Have the dealer remove it and demand some factory Nissan key fobs. Tell them to do what they gotta do.
+1
Old 07-11-2008, 01:04 PM

the toggle switch is probably for valet mode on/off.

removing the alarm is going to be tricky...if it has a starter kill function then you know that your starter wire is interrupted somewhere by a switch..the removal is just plain FTL...Im thinking that the dealer will most likely do a hack-job on the system and either screw up some electronic part of the car..they may even screw up the factory system since these two systems are actually wired together now since they must work in tandem...just some things to think abt
Old 07-11-2008, 08:31 PM
tastey wheat

lol, alarm removal is ridiculous easy in most cars. putting one in on the other hand...

yeah, the starter wire will be inturrupted if there is a starter kill, its just split open with 2other wires, cut them, and reconnect the original line and you'll be fine.

two systems wired together? its one wire, the disarm wire. They probably didn't hook up the rearm.. unplug or cut and tape it and its back to normal.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:17 PM

Yeah, thanks for your feedback guys. I called them last week and scheduled an appointment to get it removed. There was no where on my paperwork that said they would do this, im still pissed, it was legally my car, What they told me was that:
"in order to provide key fobs, they had to install a keyless entry system, because it's cheaper than factory fobs & programming."

So they authorized the service department to have this 3rd company install this system.

They told me that removing it and giving me the parts is the best they can do, but my wife and & I both feel they owe us new Maxima oem key fobs. I don't care where they buy them. Keyless entry will be removed for sure, tho fobs are still up in the air. I don't like to be a **** but seriously, to look under my dash and see its all spliced.... dang man, i want to do that on my own with a remote start system later. Not this Audiovox junk!

I'll let you all know what happens.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:11 PM

Well here is an update.

After talking to the dealership, they said the only thing they will do is pay for the removal, ok whatever, I'm tired of dealing with them, but since they added this aftermarket system after about a week or two only the driver door wants to lock and unlock consistently. the others act like they don't get enough power to them, did they ruin a relay in installing this system or what? If i test the unlock/lock button a few times, the first try it will lock all but the passenger side, 2nd is the same but 3rd - 4th trys and so on and not even the driver door will lock until it 'replenishes' its juice or something.

Before having it removed i noticed in most areas they only used the quick-splice connectors similar to the ones for home cat5/6 wiring. I know if its not solid wire, sometimes these can cut the braided wires, maybe lowering the power its getting?

I took it to an alarm shop i trust to remove it, told them the situation, they also noticed the door lock situation and said they had two wires going up into the driver door, and wanted to know why since they said they never had to run wires to the door in a Maxima for a keyless or alarm setup.

So now that i have the aftermarket system removed i still have the door lock issue.
Anyone have an idea what that might be? I'll be talking to the dealership tomorrow, and im so tired of dealing with them my wife is ready to chew them out now.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:06 PM
tastey wheat

Originally Posted by overseaz
I took it to an alarm shop i trust to remove it, told them the situation, they also noticed the door lock situation and said they had two wires going up into the driver door, and wanted to know why since they said they never had to run wires to the door in a Maxima for a keyless or alarm setup.
thats interesting, because every maxima Ive ever installed keyless/alarm/rs (shy of the 00/01) I've had to go into the door for lock/unlock. Unless I used an xk02, but thats beside the point.

Originally Posted by overseaz
So now that i have the aftermarket system removed i still have the door lock issue.
Anyone have an idea what that might be? I'll be talking to the dealership tomorrow, and im so tired of dealing with them my wife is ready to chew them out now.

Tappeing the wires should'nt be an issue as far as current, but obviously i can't garuntee it isn't the problem either. You do realize that our maxima's require double pulse unlock (even stock) and they take an extra second to engage, right?

as far as the rest of it, Id take it to someone who is good with car electronics.. its just impossible to diagnose over the internet.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:54 PM

Yeah i realize it may take an extra second or two but 6/7 seconds?
Hell what if your in an emergency and trying to get away from someone!

The whole lock issue right now sucks, my friend tested the power leads and all the power leads on the passenger doors are getting a consistent 5 volts when according to the FSM they are either supposed to get 12v or None at all.

My wife will be calling the dealer tomorrow to see what they want to do with this situation they caused!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Thats very odd that a shop would not know why wires are going into the doors. It is for the keyless. Like mentioned above ... required in all 'cept for 00/01. With a few rarities where it was successful at the SECU under the dash, but not as reliable.