Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Power Antenna Wire Connection

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:09 PM

Power Antenna Wire Connection

I have an '03 and its come time to completely change out the bose system. I went with the Pioneer AVIC-F90BT, and had a question about the Power Antenna Connection in the car. The new HU has an "antenna control" wire that is used for power antennas to go up or down. I'm pretty sure the '03 has a powered antenna booster that needs to be powered. The manual for the HU says not to use the "antenna control" wire as a power supply lead for an auto-antenna or an antenna booster....... so my question is 1. is there a powered antenna booster in the car and 2. is it wired to a relay that just needs a control signal or does it actually need a power wire connected to it. And if it does need an actualy power wire, any suggestions other than trying to wire up a small relay behind the HU connected to the "antenna control." Thanks for the input.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:09 PM

So after going through all the threads I could find on this topic, its still not completely clear, but I do know that the 5th gen. uses the diversity antenna built into the rear window and also a power antenna booster in the right rear C-pillar. So I know I have to get power to that antenna booster, but I'm still unclear as to whether the factory harness wire for the antenna needs just a "power-on" signal or actual power for the booster. The HU output for the "antenna control" I found out is only 300mA, so I assume if the antenna booster is not supplied off a stock relay that one will have to be added in-line. I just don't want to add one if that's how the system is already setup. No one has seemed to address this issue/possibility in any of the threads.
The other issue that came up is the antenna adapter cable and its ability to convert the 5th gen diversity antenna signal. Many ppl seem to think that the adapter is the problem causing the bad reception problems, but I am thinking that maybe those ppl just weren't giving power to the antenna booster. Has anyone had good reception with the antenna adapter while powering the antenna booster?
Old 09-08-2008, 05:42 AM
Banned

i have horrible reception. so bad i don't even bother using it. but then again i have Sirius...
Old 09-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is no intermediate relay. The power for the antenna amp is supplied directly from the factory head unit (G/W wire)

Install a current meter inline with this wire to see what the draw is. If it less than 300mA, you do not need a relay.

There are two coax cables running from the antenna amp to a two-pole antenna connector at the head unit. You will not be able to retain the diversity function with an aftermarket head unit as the circuitry is built into the tuner board in the factory stereo.

The so-called diversity adapters merely take the two pole factory connection and send one pole to a male motorola connector and the other to a female one. Sometimes flipping the 2-pole connection 180 degrees improves the reception.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:43 AM

I'll check to see what the power draw on it is. Can you do that by just putting power to that line, or does the factory H/U need to be on, because my is broke, which is why i need to go this route. And if its more than 300mA, is it worth going through the trouble of wiring a relay inline? How bad is the reception without being able to retain the diversity? Any other options that have worked for people?? And I remember reading about switching the poles on the adapter. All you need to do is swap the connection on the 2-pole side?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Eng3ine
I'll check to see what the power draw on it is. Can you do that by just putting power to that line, or does the factory H/U need to be on, because my is broke, which is why i need to go this route.
Just supply it with battery power.

And if its more than 300mA, is it worth going through the trouble of wiring a relay inline?
If it is more than 300mA (which I doubt), just hook it up to any switched power source (eg. head unit power)

How bad is the reception without being able to retain the diversity? Any other options that have worked for people?? And I remember reading about switching the poles on the adapter. All you need to do is swap the connection on the 2-pole side?
Diversity only really shines in urban areas where the antenna will see a lot of multipath signals.

Last edited by eng92; 09-09-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:35 PM

Just tested it- the antenna booster draws 70mA. way under the 300mA limit on the H/U.