Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

capacitors

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 12:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

capacitors

i need to get a capacitor. I have a sony 6001 amp, 1000 watts max, with 3 xplod es subs. I know i am going to need a i farad cap, but what brands would you reccomend.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2001, 05:58 PM

Lightning Audio

PJ
Old 11-11-2001, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by speednsound007
Lightning Audio

PJ
your better off getting a 2nd battery. 2 or 3 caps will never do what 1 battery will do. thats next on my list next.
Old 11-11-2001, 09:02 PM
jmax

The 2nd battery only helps when the engine is off, and not at all for dimming lights, etc when the bass hits. Second to that, a second battery will drain the alternator twice as much as a single battery. What you need, if anything, is a 1 farad cap.

Old 11-11-2001, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by jmax
The 2nd battery only helps when the engine is off, and not at all for dimming lights, etc when the bass hits. Second to that, a second battery will drain the alternator twice as much as a single battery. What you need, if anything, is a 1 farad cap.
try using an isolator. you will never use your car battery for your system in the on or off position. it will not drain your alternator because it will charge 1 battery at a time. at the same time it comes out cheaper ( $125 for optima battery and $60 for isolator. each cap will cost you about $85 or more, you'll need a few just to compair with a battery). i had this set up in a few of my cars and will do it again in my max.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:32 PM
jmax

Excuse me, but it takes a significant amount of time for the energy stored in your battery to get to your amp. It takes significantly less time for a cap to supply the same energy. The cap can probably be purchased for $50-$100 on sale. You spent $185, and the optima battery weighs significanly more than a cap, meaning that your car is now slower. For a stereo system that operates with the engine running, or off, a cap is the tool of choice because it supplies the instantaneous power an amp needs for a millisecond long musical peak. Even with the isolater the alternator is needed to charge two batteries instead of one. So that is still twice the work. It's just spread out over a longer period of time. He only needs at most one single farad of capacitance for that amp. Most Maxima's in the past five years have at least a 110 amp alternator.

Old 11-12-2001, 09:03 PM

Excuse me, but it takes a significant amount of time for the energy stored in your battery to get to your amp. It takes significantly less time for a cap to supply the same energy. The cap can probably be purchased for $50-$100 on sale. You spent $185, and the optima battery weighs significanly more than a cap, meaning that your car is now slower. For a stereo system that operates with the engine running, or off, a cap is the tool of choice because it supplies the instantaneous power an amp needs for a millisecond long musical peak. Even with the isolater the alternator is needed to charge two batteries instead of one. So that is still twice the work. It's just spread out over a longer period of time. He only needs at most one single farad of capacitance for that amp. Most Maxima's in the past five years have at least a 110 amp alternator.
when the bass hits where does the power come from? THE BATTERY. how does the cap gets charged? BY THE BATTERY. what has more power at all times? THE BATTERY. the cap won't work with out the BATTERY. fill a cap up and see how long it will last with out the battery (maybe 1 or 2 real hard bass notes). try it with a battery and get a timer.

as for it being to heavy, you shouldn't have a system in the first place if you want to be very fast. but my car is slow, it's a 4-door family car. maybe i should throw my kids out just to be lighter.

you can't compair a battery to a cap. the cap is there to store power not to produce it. i have 1 amp in my car now, with 1 cap and 1 optima battery and my lights still blink. good luck
Old 11-12-2001, 09:29 PM
jmax

Then you have serious wiring errors. The cap does supply the voltage for peaks, yes it gets it's energy from the battery. But it doesn't get this resupply until after the need for the enrgy has passed. The reason a cap is used is because it can discharge almost instantly. If you want to supply your amp with a steady voltage you need a cap. The battery can not discharge quickly enough. I repeat the battery can not discharge quickly enough to provide the voltage needed at a musical peak. That is when the light dim, in systems with out properly installed and charged capacitors, regardless of how many batteries they have. You could hook up twelve batteries and it would not spead up the time it takes for the battery to discharge and resupply the amps own internal capacitors. Go to the FAQ's page and review how a vehicle power system works and why a battery is not useful for short voltage drains.

Old 11-13-2001, 12:36 AM

or get a cheap cap like mine.. the phoenix gold powercore.. by the term cheap i mean, u get 15 farads for the price of 5 normal one farad caps..
Old 11-13-2001, 05:55 AM

Originally posted by mingo
or get a cheap cap like mine.. the phoenix gold powercore.. by the term cheap i mean, u get 15 farads for the price of 5 normal one farad caps..
all i have to say is that when you hook up a 2nd battery with an isolator your main battery will not supply any power to your
stereo. which means that your main battery will always be full and your lights will never blink. the only thing i would hook up to the main battery is the radio, eq and cd changer, let the rest be powered up by the 2nd battery. it's always good to run a cap or 2 but it's not to say that your lights will not blink any more. may be my 1/0 ga. power wire is wired wrong but maybe not.

i just got everything in my house for a small stereo but a 4ch amp and an isolator. when i finish my stereo you can come see my non-blinking lights.

all i will have is:

4 tweeters
4 6 1/2" mids
2 8" mid bass
2 10" L7
kenwood radio
kenwood eq
kenwood 6-disc changer
rockford 400.4
rockford 800.2
2nd battery
isolator
Old 11-14-2001, 10:57 AM
creativeusernam

j max is exactly right, unless you are sitting for extended periods of time with the engine off and the stereeeo playing there is no reason for the second battery. get a cap it what you need. try a monster cap that is what i am using and it works great.

Old 11-15-2001, 02:08 PM

Could you explain then

How your friggin' battery that you are using for just the stereo never dies? It has to recharge somehow. WTF?

Originally posted by 97GLES
all i have to say is that when you hook up a 2nd battery with an isolator your main battery will not supply any power to your
stereo. which means that your main battery will always be full and your lights will never blink. the only thing i would hook up to the main battery is the radio, eq and cd changer, let the rest be powered up by the 2nd battery. it's always good to run a cap or 2 but it's not to say that your lights will not blink any more. may be my 1/0 ga. power wire is wired wrong but maybe not.

i just got everything in my house for a small stereo but a 4ch amp and an isolator. when i finish my stereo you can come see my non-blinking lights.

all i will have is:

4 tweeters
4 6 1/2" mids
2 8" mid bass
2 10" L7
kenwood radio
kenwood eq
kenwood 6-disc changer
rockford 400.4
rockford 800.2
2nd battery
isolator
Old 11-15-2001, 02:14 PM

Man, you hit the nail

right on the head. What you said is exactly true. He needs one cap and that is all. Wire it properly and it will solve the problems with the lights, keep the tunes cranked up and sounding nice, and will be one hell of a lot cheaper than the battery. Unless you are going to be spending lots of time listening to the radio with the engine off, there is absolutely no use for a second battery.