Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Best touchscreen navi for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:16 AM

Best touchscreen navi for the buck?

Im in the market for a touscreen navi unit, and my eyes were set on this pioneer ever since I saw it:

http://www.jr.com/pioneer/pe/PIO_AVICZ3/

The Pioneer AVIC- Z3 , the price seems to stay around 1100-1300 everywhere. Is there a better unit for the buck that has come out since that one dropped? I am looking for it to fit in a 06 SE btw...
Old 09-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jetsfan2008
Im in the market for a touscreen navi unit, and my eyes were set on this pioneer ever since I saw it:

http://www.jr.com/pioneer/pe/PIO_AVICZ3/

The Pioneer AVIC- Z3 , the price seems to stay around 1100-1300 everywhere. Is there a better unit for the buck that has come out since that one dropped? I am looking for it to fit in a 06 SE btw...
Eclipse AVN6620..though the bluetooth function is kinda lacking. It is cheaper than the Z3 though and the interface is very easy to use/maps are VERY clear/precise.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:38 AM

+1. Eclipse AVN6620 FTMFW!!!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Kenwood 8120 is really nice IMO.

Garmin nav and bluetooth included. I have not seen the 8120 in person, but I have seen the eclipse 6620 and the screen resolution is unimpressive. Eclipse should be embarrassed to offer that product compared to what the competition is putting out (talking about screen res). Alpine's W505 is nice, but is really expensive when you consider bluetooth and nav aren't included.

Seriously, give the 8120 a look.

p.s. it has 5v outputs as well

Last edited by coyote_5; 09-26-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:53 AM

how much does the eclipse run?
Old 09-26-2008, 07:28 PM
tastey wheat

6620 / thread. 1200 on average iirc..

Cant get a better quality unit for the price, period. Alpine would be another 700 for nav, the latest pioneer is crap. Especially the F90/F700 series... ugh, stay far away from those.

Of all of the double din nav units Ive installed (more than i can count or remember), Eclipse has given me the least amount of problems or comebacks. In fact, I cant remember the last time an Eclipse unit failed.. they are that reliable.

Last edited by mendon99; 09-26-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:17 AM

^ Werd.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:34 AM

Thanks everyone for the info
Old 09-27-2008, 11:01 AM

I found the eclipse for 699.00 on sale

website is a vendor Ive never heard of though

http://www.cartronixplus.com/templat...20ALL%20%3E%20
Old 09-27-2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by coyote_5
Kenwood 8120 is really nice IMO.

Garmin nav and bluetooth included. I have not seen the 8120 in person, but I have seen the eclipse 6620 and the screen resolution is unimpressive. Eclipse should be embarrassed to offer that product compared to what the competition is putting out (talking about screen res). Alpine's W505 is nice, but is really expensive when you consider bluetooth and nav aren't included.

Seriously, give the 8120 a look.

p.s. it has 5v outputs as well

love mine, awesome unit. Lists for like 1200 something, i got mine for 800.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:34 PM

where u get yours from majestic
Old 09-27-2008, 01:09 PM

Im going to be putting a Pioneer D3 in my Max.For 1100 or less you can get the HU,ipod cable,satellite radio,and bletooth.The D3 is still pretty popular and there are lot of good deals to be had,just look around.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:40 PM

I found the eclipse for 699.00 on sale

website is a vendor Ive never heard of though

http://www.cartronixplus.com/templat...20ALL%20%3E%20
Don't buy from here. Never heard of them, but their reseller ratings are good. Buy it from a reputable, authorized dealer like Don here on the .org. He'll offer the best warranty out there for the buck and you won't have any problems.

Last edited by Andrew; 09-27-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:09 PM

where u get yours from majestic
shop here in ct called Sound craft audio
Old 09-28-2008, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew
Don't buy from here. Never heard of them, but their reseller ratings are good. Buy it from a reputable, authorized dealer like Don here on the .org. He'll offer the best warranty out there for the buck and you won't have any problems.
Thanks alot
Old 09-28-2008, 10:41 AM

Use www.pricegrabber.com It saved me 250 bucks for my alpine head unit. Sorry I know nothing about nav but I thought I could try to help save you some cash $.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:46 PM

Thanks man. Did you buy yours from there?
Old 09-28-2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ridiculous
Use www.pricegrabber.com It saved me 250 bucks for my alpine head unit. Sorry I know nothing about nav but I thought I could try to help save you some cash $.
Don't do it man...

Originally Posted by Andrew
Listen to Andrew if you want the warranty. If you don't care about the warranty then go ahead and order online. I don't think Eclipse honors the warranty if you buy online. Like he said, PM Don, he'll help you out. Don, can you help this guy out?

Last edited by ICEMAN76; 09-28-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:12 PM

crutchfield has the 6620 for 999.00 on sale

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/...rand%7cEclipse
Old 10-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mendon99
6620 / thread. 1200 on average iirc..

Cant get a better quality unit for the price, period. Alpine would be another 700 for nav, the latest pioneer is crap. Especially the F90/F700 series... ugh, stay far away from those.

Of all of the double din nav units Ive installed (more than i can count or remember), Eclipse has given me the least amount of problems or comebacks. In fact, I cant remember the last time an Eclipse unit failed.. they are that reliable.
Could you please elaborate? I have a Pioneer AVIC N1 in my camaro, and absolutely love it. Thus, I was thinking of going Pioneer again in my new 98 Max based on my previous history with Pioneer.

In my 99 Max, I have Kenwood's Double Din DVD player and Nav, and it's just ok. Gets me close to my destination, but never exactly there...always 1/2 block short or past the address. The Pioneer on the other hand is damn near perfect everytime getting me to the exact address.

On both of my units, I have them grounded so I have full functionality.. ie passengers can watch DVD's while I drive etc.

Can the Eclipse 6620 unit be 'tricked' like this as well?
How about the new Pioneer stuff? Bypassable??

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:22 PM
tastey wheat

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Could you please elaborate? I have a Pioneer AVIC N1 in my camaro, and absolutely love it. Thus, I was thinking of going Pioneer again in my new 98 Max based on my previous history with Pioneer.

In my 99 Max, I have Kenwood's Double Din DVD player and Nav, and it's just ok. Gets me close to my destination, but never exactly there...always 1/2 block short or past the address. The Pioneer on the other hand is damn near perfect everytime getting me to the exact address.

On both of my units, I have them grounded so I have full functionality.. ie passengers can watch DVD's while I drive etc.

Can the Eclipse 6620 unit be 'tricked' like this as well?
How about the new Pioneer stuff? Bypassable??

Thanks in advance for the info.
Hey Wizard... Sure Ill elaborate. For proof for you, do a quick google search on reviews on either the Avic-F700Bt or the F90 series pioneer decks and you'll pretty much find nothing but complaints. Im not going by word of mouth, ive personally installed a few dozen of these units and I hate them.. Heres a list off the top of my head of issues that would disgust anybody into car audio:

-Unit takes nearly 2 minutes to load to useable functionality upon car startup (this includes if you have a rear camera isntalled. You literally need to wait forever before you put your car in reverse to see out of it.. pointless!!)
-delay between touch screen presses is unbareable (prob like 2 full seconds from when you press something to when it gets there)
-Ipod connectivity issues (specifically VR updates lock up very frequently)
-Video will not playback from IPhone on screen at all (confirmed by Pioneer)
-complaints from customers as far as navigation accuracy

...There's more, but these problems alone stray me from ever getting this unit (and we can't forget pioneer's infamous preout issues). The ONLY saving grace on this unit is that the screen has a fairly high resolution. The unit can be bypassed, you could use a switch, but it must see ground after Ignition. You also much move a pin's location, or the video will shut off when you start to drive. Pioneer really should have just stuck with the D3. These units are turds.

The Avic N1 and Z1 series are decent units. These F series are nothing like them. Btw, as far as nav accuracy, was the kenwood's speed sense wire connected? this makes a difference.

The Eclipse is a great unit, you won't be disappointed...the Nav is spot on and bypassing the video is just grounding the ebrake wire. It doesn't get easier. Plus, 5v preouts and great price.

get the Eclipse!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:11 PM
I R The Law

Eclipse all the way!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Hey Wizard... Sure Ill elaborate. For proof for you, do a quick google search on reviews on either the Avic-F700Bt or the F90 series pioneer decks and you'll pretty much find nothing but complaints. Im not going by word of mouth, ive personally installed a few dozen of these units and I hate them.. Heres a list off the top of my head of issues that would disgust anybody into car audio:

-Unit takes nearly 2 minutes to load to useable functionality upon car startup (this includes if you have a rear camera isntalled. You literally need to wait forever before you put your car in reverse to see out of it.. pointless!!)
-delay between touch screen presses is unbareable (prob like 2 full seconds from when you press something to when it gets there)
-Ipod connectivity issues (specifically VR updates lock up very frequently)
-Video will not playback from IPhone on screen at all (confirmed by Pioneer)
-complaints from customers as far as navigation accuracy

...There's more, but these problems alone stray me from ever getting this unit (and we can't forget pioneer's infamous preout issues). The ONLY saving grace on this unit is that the screen has a fairly high resolution. The unit can be bypassed, you could use a switch, but it must see ground after Ignition. You also much move a pin's location, or the video will shut off when you start to drive. Pioneer really should have just stuck with the D3. These units are turds.

The Avic N1 and Z1 series are decent units. These F series are nothing like them. Btw, as far as nav accuracy, was the kenwood's speed sense wire connected? this makes a difference.

The Eclipse is a great unit, you won't be disappointed...the Nav is spot on and bypassing the video is just grounding the ebrake wire. It doesn't get easier. Plus, 5v preouts and great price.

get the Eclipse!
Nice!! Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and priceless info, much appreciated!!

Looks like Eclipse is the way to go nowadays. I'm a little bummed though that the Eclipse 6620 unit doesn't have a hard drive like it's predecessors.

For both the 6620 and the 7000, is there still a seperate navigation 'box' I have to hide somewhere like my N1 and my Kenwood DDX-8017 has???

For the AVN7000, does it allow me to store my music on the hard drive, or is the hard drive strictly to hold the Navigation stuff?? They make no mention of it like the 5495 Unit. Why did Eclipse not offer hard drive storage on the 7000 and 6620 units? And why does the 7000 unit have features the 6620 doesn't??

Before I got into navigation and put Pioneer's N1 in my camaro, I had 3 Eclipse units in there, and liked them all. In fact, I still have them. They're the old school ones with the awesome lighting before they changed for the worse.

As for the speed sensor wire, yes I did hook it up. I did the complete install myself because too many installers were telling me that hooking up the speed sensor wire was not needed. Only 1 out of 7 guys felt it was necessary to hook up.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:56 PM

Nice!! Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and priceless info, much appreciated!!

Looks like Eclipse is the way to go nowadays. I'm a little bummed though that the Eclipse 6620 unit doesn't have a hard drive like it's predecessors.

For both the 6620 and the 7000, is there still a seperate navigation 'box' I have to hide somewhere like my N1 and my Kenwood DDX-8017 has???

For the AVN7000, does it allow me to store my music on the hard drive, or is the hard drive strictly to hold the Navigation stuff?? They make no mention of it like the 5495 Unit. Why did Eclipse not offer hard drive storage on the 7000 and 6620 units? And why does the 7000 unit have features the 6620 doesn't??

Before I got into navigation and put Pioneer's N1 in my camaro, I had 3 Eclipse units in there, and liked them all. In fact, I still have them. They're the old school ones with the awesome lighting before they changed for the worse.

As for the speed sensor wire, yes I did hook it up. I did the complete install myself because too many installers were telling me that hooking up the speed sensor wire was not needed. Only 1 out of 7 guys felt it was necessary to hook up.
The Eclipse AVN6620 is all one big unit with no additional boxes. You will not be disappointed with the navigation at ALL.

Why are you so hung up on Hard drives built in? Just curious. If I were you I would get an Ipod and hook that up with the Ipod Adapter. You will get GREAT results...it really handles the ipod very well.

I've had every AVN since the AVN5435 (6600, 6610, now 6620) and my only complaints are lack of build in bluetooth (you can add it on) and no way to search by POI category (you can search by POI name).

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2008, 04:17 PM
tastey wheat

As for the 7000 and hideaway brains, Im not certain as I haven't installed one of these units yet. Don might chime in on that one.. But its all built in in the 6620, no external anything.

If the 7000 has a hard drive, I'm guessing yes, you could probably store music on there, it should be on the website (or is it?) The 7000 is the higher end unit. They have to justify the cost of it somewhere..

The speed sense wire isn't completely nessecary, Nav units will work without it. They're just more accurate with location of your car on the map if you hook them up.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:04 PM

Im ordering mine this weekend? For those that have the eclipse and had a shop install it, how much were u charged?
Old 10-04-2008, 07:52 AM

glad I didnt order mine prior, the 6620 just dropped on crutchfield to 799.00(thanks Andrew for sendin me the info)
Old 10-04-2008, 01:14 PM

i was going to make a thread about this but since i'm new i guess i can't yet. just bought a new (to me) 03 SE Maxima with nav and the Bose stereo. I am looking at buying a new nav system/headunit, but I had a question.

What do you do about the A/C controls that are attached to the current nav system/screen? Are there any models that include or have the capabilities for that? or what is the best way to take care of it. Thanks (I'd also like to keep my steering wheel radio controls if possible)

Cool forum.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by odecom5
i was going to make a thread about this but since i'm new i guess i can't yet. just bought a new (to me) 03 SE Maxima with nav and the Bose stereo. I am looking at buying a new nav system/headunit, but I had a question.

What do you do about the A/C controls that are attached to the current nav system/screen? Are there any models that include or have the capabilities for that? or what is the best way to take care of it. Thanks (I'd also like to keep my steering wheel radio controls if possible)

Cool forum.
you have to convert to the climate control setup w/o the nav.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:13 PM

can someone up some pics that already has this unit installed in their 6th gen to see others how it looks?
Old 10-07-2008, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by burnurass
you have to convert to the climate control setup w/o the nav.
ah, ok. does anybody sell these (and how much more would this set me back)? I tried checking ebay but couldn't come up with anything.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:44 AM

Can anyone confirm for certain this unit will work in a 6th gen? most posters that have it here have a 4th or 5th gen
Old 10-07-2008, 06:40 PM

here's my setup

Old 10-07-2008, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by majesticmaxima
here's my setup

thanks majestic. looks good
Old 10-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by burnurass
The Eclipse AVN6620 is all one big unit with no additional boxes. You will not be disappointed with the navigation at ALL.

Why are you so hung up on Hard drives built in? Just curious. If I were you I would get an Ipod and hook that up with the Ipod Adapter. You will get GREAT results...it really handles the ipod very well.

I've had every AVN since the AVN5435 (6600, 6610, now 6620) and my only complaints are lack of build in bluetooth (you can add it on) and no way to search by POI category (you can search by POI name).

Good luck!
Well, I kind of hate Ipods for various reasons and don't feel like dishing out additional money for one, plus the additional money to integrate the Ipod with the unit. It adds up fast! I might just take the plunge though. I've been holding out forever. I thought built in hard drives were the future, and see it more and more in OEM cars. I'm just bummed to see that feature dropped in the Eclipse units.

No POI category!!! How the hell do you find the nearest gas station when you realize you're on E???!!! Don't tell me I have to start guessing names of gas stations etc. Please elaborate on how you get by w/o POI category. So far, this is a major deal breaker for me.

As for the 7000 and hideaway brains, Im not certain as I haven't installed one of these units yet. Don might chime in on that one.. But its all built in in the 6620, no external anything.

If the 7000 has a hard drive, I'm guessing yes, you could probably store music on there, it should be on the website (or is it?) The 7000 is the higher end unit. They have to justify the cost of it somewhere..

The speed sense wire isn't completely nessecary, Nav units will work without it. They're just more accurate with location of your car on the map if you hook them up.
Earth to Don, come in Don.

IIRC, website is unclear. I'll check again/call them. 7000 has POI category (as they all should)

True, true. I want the best accuracy possible.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator

/\ Bump for some answers..
Old 10-20-2008, 02:27 PM

I just installed my Avic D3, don't have sound at the moment but the navigation works great. I bypassed it, so you can change the navi and watch movies while driving. I connected it to the VSS and sofar it is really accurate. Ipod integration cost 20 bucks and I installed it in a way you can't even tell. (useless change holder under ash tray) I also bought the bluetooth telephone upgrade for it, which is pretty sweet and i don't have any ugly microphone cables hanging around. I will upload pics to the forum later.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Could use some with post #35 please......
Old 10-24-2008, 03:33 AM

my ipod integrated in my AVIC N5 works great
Old 10-24-2008, 06:33 AM
Kevlo for President

Kinda OT, but do the new eclipses have a higher resolution screen? My buddy has an IS and the map looks much nicer on that screen(pretty sure toyo uses eclipse navi's).

Quick Reply: Best touchscreen navi for the buck?