Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How horrible is a sub w/o Amplifier direct to HU??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:31 PM

How horrible is a sub w/o Amplifier direct to HU??

I dont want to get into all the Amplifying madness.I just wanna add some bass to my sound.

Does anyone know how horrible does a single 10" (shallow) sub sound with with HU Preamp alone (no amplifier)?
I Dont want to overcrowd the trunk with amp and subs. Also I dont need it to be ridiculous loud. It just needs to sounds really good. So Im considering the shallow single 10" sub and enclosure.

Is it worth it?? Or will it be ****ty without the Amp.

Im using the Pioneer DEH-P700BT HU.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=19632
RMS Power Output: 4x22 Watts
Subwoofer Preamp Outputs: Yes
Maximum Power: 4x50 Watts

Im also using 4 x Alpine SPR-17C 6-1/2.

http://www.etronics.com/p-1080-alpin...aker-pair.aspx

The shallow subwoofer Im lookin at mounting right behind the seats in the trunk.

Pioneer Premier TS-SW1041D

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...S-SW1041D.html
Encloure Pioneer UD-SW10B

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+UD-SW10B.html
Old 10-13-2008, 05:34 AM

You will blow the sub quick, not to mention that it will sound like *** because it doesn't have enough power. Under powering a sub will distort it and blow it.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:34 AM
tastey wheat

sound sh**ty? the sound will be non-existent. You MUST amplify subwoofer drivers, period. You'll be sending 20w to a speaker that wants to see at least 250.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:26 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

It won't blow. You can, with the right headunit run 35 rms to a sub, some older pioneer could do it, yours cannot. It would no be loud enough for any of us, but maybe it could accomplish what you want it to.

Why not put in some better, high efficiency front and rear speakers ran off the headunit? You may end up with very good output.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by nismos14
It won't blow. You can, with the right headunit run 35 rms to a sub, some older pioneer could do it, yours cannot. It would no be loud enough for any of us, but maybe it could accomplish what you want it to.

Why not put in some better, high efficiency front and rear speakers ran off the headunit? You may end up with very good output.
Shhit I thought those alpine joints was effecient. maybe ya'll can steer me in the right directoin with just the 4 speaker setup, and just avoid the sub altogether, cuz Im had no intentions to add an amp.

thanks.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by mendon99
sound sh**ty? the sound will be non-existent. You MUST amplify subwoofer drivers, period. You'll be sending 20w to a speaker that wants to see at least 250.
Yeah I had a feeling this would be the case. 20w is some hot garbage. thanks for the info, just will go with 4 better speakers. I guess the sole purpose of the preamp to the subs is for the amp (lol). that sucks cuz I thought I couldve went without it.

thanks.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:37 AM

a preamp out is just that, an output with no amplification. You will get no sound out of the sub not even a little. Just get JL audio interior speakers and be done with it. I havevall JLs on my interior and it sounds great good cleansound with a nice ballance between bass and treble.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by j2b4osan
a preamp out is just that, an output with no amplification. You will get no sound out of the sub not even a little. Just get JL audio interior speakers and be done with it. I havevall JLs on my interior and it sounds great good cleansound with a nice ballance between bass and treble.
Alright kool yall

aiight kool. My HU has the constant output of 22 W p/channel. SO as long as I stick with speakers with an RMS Power Range : 2-75 Im in good grounds without an amp. Correct me if Im wrong, I should avoid any speakers that are 40+ RMS.

I think Ill be getting a Amp for the shallow sub now.

Which 1 do I get, the Mono or 2 channel amp?
Wont take up too much space at all. should all fit in that spot right behind the seats in the trunk.
Thanks ya'll

Last edited by da God; 10-13-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:44 AM

Actually I guess it only makes sense get a multi-channel amp to power the rear speakers an the sub together.

All that matters I that I get the shallow sub cuz I need my space.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by da God
Actually I guess it only makes sense get a multi-channel amp to power the rear speakers an the sub together.

All that matters I that I get the shallow sub cuz I need my space.
if you run the speakers and the sub off the same amp it wont sound right. most amps Ive used and seen only have one set of levels for the amp output so if you have it set for bass the interiors will sound horrible and if you have it set for the interiors the sub will sound crappy. unless you found an amp that has crossovers for interiors and subs simultaneously. like I said before get high quality JL interiors and just get a mono 250w for the sub and youll be fine.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:26 PM

if you run the speakers and the sub off the same amp it wont sound right. most amps Ive used and seen only have one set of levels for the amp output so if you have it set for bass the interiors will sound horrible and if you have it set for the interiors the sub will sound crappy. unless you found an amp that has crossovers for interiors and subs simultaneously. like I said before get high quality JL interiors and just get a mono 250w for the sub and youll be fine.
Thanks a lot. U R the man
Old 10-13-2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14

yea...this idea should be the way to go.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 PM

he can run a sub and interior speakers off a same amp.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
he can run a sub and interior speakers off a same amp.
Yeha I looked it up. I believe the piece is acalled a crossover that I would use to adjust the frequency levels or watt levels or some **** like that.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:36 PM

well i had mine like that for a while couldnt really hear bass but it was good enough
Old 10-14-2008, 04:06 AM

my only question is why? if you are gonna do it, do it right. I wasnt goin for a super loud sound, but got the best amp and sub I could afford, and at a great deal. I still get the crisp clear sound with the powerful bass that I wanted, and if I decide to crank that system up to 40, I know you can hear it down the street lol