Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Happy birfday Chris !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
Happy Birthday Chris! Enjoy a Yuengling for me
Indeed I will and thank you. We are doing steak and potatoes on the grill tomorrow and I will definitely have some. Oh boy, I spelled it wrong. I am an idiot. I will drink it anyway.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by filtor1
Yeah, I will. I just need to get motivated. It is going to get bigger.

Here are the goods;

20"L x 40"W x 16"H External measurements.

Internal volume after port and sub displacement will be 4.97. Here is my math.

Internal volume of 5.97cf - .688cf (port displacement 17.28"L x 4.75"W x 14.5"H) = 5.28cf then - .32cf (sub displacement of .16cf each) = 4.97cf of 2.48cf per driver.

The box will again be tuned at 32Hz.

I am doing this for several reasons.

1) The box I have is too small to take advantege of the Q's output potential. The box they are in now is 16" x 40" x 16" and nets me 3.05cf or 1.52cf per driver. Driver requirements are 1.8-2.5cf tuned to 28-33 via Scott. So I am trying to increase output and low end extension by increasing efficiency and I don't care about box size. Hoffman's Iron Law in full effect. A side benefit from this is not needing the amplifier gains so high further increasing efficiency and decreasing strain on the cars electrical system.

2) My trunk is getting destroyed. The channel under the window is split and the torsion bar supports have been ripped out of the rear deck and caused splits in the rear deck.

3) I hate the trunk rattle. Even after extensive deadening, it bucks like a bronco bull. The spoiler rattles dispite many attempts to quiet the noise. That has to stop.

4) By taking the trunk out of the equation by facing the box forward and sealing it off from the trunk I can utilize more of the driver's energy for music and potential output. I am in the mid 140's now and woldn't mind the ability to get louder and create more headroom to compensate for poor recordings.

This box will accomodate the Q's or the Havocs. I have wanted to try the Havocs on for size and want to get some good listen time in with the Q's in the new enclosure in order to do a good comparison. I wish I has a program that did a cut sheet for me.

Feel free to pick apart the design. I have been working on it for a few weeks in my free time and have changed the design several times to compensate for potential downfalls. I posted this on diy too and got a few replies but the responses ended up confusing me. So I just went by what Scott suggested for the box based on his testing.
that is one massive box! that bish will be heavy as hell when it's all said and done. how much port area do you have? i couldn't fit the damn 3.5 net/5.43 gross box into my trunk. i had a brainfart and forgot about the depth clearance. my box's dimensions are: 36L x 18H x 18D. it's a beast of a box with dual 2" slot ports tuned to 32Hz.

so make sure the box can fit the trunk opening unless you're planning to build it inside the trunk. i'm still trying to sell my box
Old 10-16-2008, 07:45 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
that is one massive box! that bish will be heavy as hell when it's all said and done. how much port area do you have? i couldn't fit the damn 3.5 net/5.43 gross box into my trunk. i had a brainfart and forgot about the depth clearance. my box's dimensions are: 36L x 18H x 18D. it's a beast of a box with dual 2" slot ports tuned to 32Hz.

so make sure the box can fit the trunk opening unless you're planning to build it inside the trunk. i'm still trying to sell my box
Where are thoes pics of your box? it's for a 15 right? I should measure the rex and see if it'll fit.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:20 PM

The box I have now is only 4" less in depth. All other measurements are the same. I am not sure if I will have to build this in the car or not. It really doesn't matter to me either way. It will end up taking up less space in the trunk though. there is 12"s that was between the back of the box and where the front of the new box is. In effect I will be gaining 8" of trunk space. Some of that will be taken up by the new amp rack, but that will be neglagable considering the box.

The current box is 40" x 16" x 16" and slides right in when there are no other obstacles in the way. ie the second battery.

The port area is 58sq inches. I tried to vary the port width but the box would be bigger than my trunk. It is a single slot port and the same proportionally on the baffle as the design I currently have.

GL selling the old box.

I am actually going to build an enclosure for a golf cart. Possibly 2. It is a six person car. The thing is huge. I will definitely get pics. I may try and use 4 of the AA Assassin's in two seperate areas, one in the "baggage" area and another under the middle row of seats. It all depends what the customer wants. It is supposed to be here in the next week or so, so I will have pics then.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14
Where are thoes pics of your box? it's for a 15 right? I should measure the rex and see if it'll fit.

66 sq in of port area
Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by filtor1
The box I have now is only 4" less in depth. All other measurements are the same. I am not sure if I will have to build this in the car or not. It really doesn't matter to me either way. It will end up taking up less space in the trunk though. there is 12"s that was between the back of the box and where the front of the new box is. In effect I will be gaining 8" of trunk space. Some of that will be taken up by the new amp rack, but that will be neglagable considering the box.

The current box is 40" x 16" x 16" and slides right in when there are no other obstacles in the way. ie the second battery.

The port area is 58sq inches. I tried to vary the port width but the box would be bigger than my trunk. It is a single slot port and the same proportionally on the baffle as the design I currently have.

GL selling the old box.

I am actually going to build an enclosure for a golf cart. Possibly 2. It is a six person car. The thing is huge. I will definitely get pics. I may try and use 4 of the AA Assassin's in two seperate areas, one in the "baggage" area and another under the middle row of seats. It all depends what the customer wants. It is supposed to be here in the next week or so, so I will have pics then.
oh, sounds like you'll be fine then. i guess 5th gen trunks are a bit bigger than the 6th gens, or at least your trunk opening is. i THINK i can squeeze the box into my trunk if i take out the spare, but eh, i'm too lazy to do all that. plus i would practically have no trunk space left minus the small areas on the sides.

looking forward for those golf car pics.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:30 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

How much were you looking for? Willing to ship it to me? NOT WITH STAMPS
Old 10-16-2008, 09:41 PM

oh, sounds like you'll be fine then. i guess 5th gen trunks are a bit bigger than the 6th gens, or at least your trunk opening is. i THINK i can squeeze the box into my trunk if i take out the spare, but eh, i'm too lazy to do all that. plus i would practically have no trunk space left minus the small areas on the sides.

looking forward for those golf car pics.

Yeah, I haven't done a 6th gen so I have no idea' It look like the hight killed you on that one. mine would be barely taller than your sub was.

I don't care about trunk space at all. I have a uge back seat and it is rarely more than me and wifey. So everything else and the dog can go in the back seat.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14
How much were you looking for? Willing to ship it to me? NOT WITH STAMPS
you have a 15?

sure i'll ship it. i wanted 150 locally but i'm willing to let it go for 150 shipped. i have no idea how much shipping would be. i'll have to get back with you on that.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:53 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

p00p
Old 10-16-2008, 09:55 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

I had 15's, sold them. Can always grab another CRX + SPL FTW.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
p00p
Do you feel lighter?
Old 10-17-2008, 05:58 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Indeed.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:36 PM

So I finally got the chance to celebrate a little bit. A 6 pack of Yuengling and a stiff Appleton's and Coke and I was good. I ordered a smallish Porterhouse and a night to the wife and I. The food was awesome. The chicken wifey got was mad salty though, so I didn't eat it. The steak, mashed red potatoes and grilled corn was awesome. I fired up the grill when she got home, man I love fall.

So I was pretty much passed the hell out by 10. I am wide awake now. I don't know if it is the full moon or the fact that I got sober midway through the night, but I am up. I wish I could sleep now. I guess I will find something on tv.

Happy late birthday to me.