Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

new kenwood head but cant get bose amp/speakers to work

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 04:00 PM

new kenwood head but cant get bose amp/speakers to work

ok so its my girls car 1995 max with bose, and for christmas i got her a new stereo, kenwood kdc-mp438u.

reason for new head was her bose just stopped working all together, would not turn on and she took it to mechanic and he said just get another one cause that one was not worth time or money to open and fix.

ok so i bought scosche integration kit from cruthfield. which uses kewood speaker outs and allows you to adjust each speaker out through a box in the line to turn down wattage so that aftermarket stereo is converted to basically bose low output system. so you can use the bose speakers with amps and have no problem with the diff olhm set up etc.

so ok i hooked everything up perfectly with all the harnesses but get no sound? its like all four amps and speakers are dead?

a)i took wires coming directly out of kenwood head and hooked to speaker i had laying around house and head is working, music could be heard.

b)next i took wires coming out of head unit to scoche box then took those wires coming out of adjustable box and it too was working and could be adjusted by box. so box is fine and putting out the proper output.

c)then i checked fuse just to be sure even though i figured her mechanic would have done that and the fuse labled bose WAS BLOWN!! i then replaced expecting to hear music but still no sound.

d)i then poped bose head unit back in figuring that it was probably just the fuse all along and stereo was fine but still could not get to turn on so i guess it was a blown bose. checked fuse again and it was fine.

f)i then started to wonder why if fuse under dash blew in the first place and began to search and found that she must have jammed something in the trunk and the cup and amp had fallen off the rear speaker and wires to speaker from amp were off and dangling right next to each other so obviously at some point they touched and blew fuse and shut the system off.

g)what i dont get is coincidence that speaker and head unit just happened to blow at the same time? i put rear speaker back together and connected wires back properly and fuse up front i replaced earlier is still good so why are speakers/amps not working?

headunit is working, scoche adjustable output is working but either all four amps or speakers are blown at exact same time and i just cant accept that. how could they all go at the same time? no way.

so what am i missing? is there a special way to reset the amps? i disconnected the battery thinking that might reset or something but i still get no sound? is there another fuse somewhere in the car other than undder driver side? what am i missing?

some one please help and thanks in advance to any that may help
Old 12-25-2008, 04:25 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Did you connect the amplifier turn on wire? Usually the Blue one.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Did you connect the amplifier turn on wire? Usually the Blue one.
co-sign same happen to me
Old 12-25-2008, 11:44 PM

wow as soon as i read the post i knew you guys were right, this community still amazes me, thank you!!!!!!

ok so i attached the blue to blue (cant believe i missed that) and with ignition on i began to learn the stereo and adjust with the schouche box and got it perfectly tuned but further tuning required higher volume and its really late here so i started the car and was going to go to gas station.

about 30 sec after i started the car the original problem occured and blew the fuse.

i replaced three times after that with no luck with ignition or car running. as soon as i hit the key you could hear the fuse pop.

oh sh@@ any way to isolate this? i know its def bose units cause thats what fuse blows and head unit on diff fuse stays on.

confusion for me is that i was able to listen to it for about a half hour before it blew now it immediately blows?

i checked all conections and all are fine. i used all proper connectors and proper tools to crimp them. i thought when i started car maybe i moved something but all connections are really solid.

does bose use some weird grounding or something where if i touched chasis of radio on frame of car it would blow or something? i dont know, bose sucks!

i have a 2k with bose and her 95 def sounds better. i have a rattle box for a sub in the rear. damn you bose, damn you lol

well thanks for the help and if any one knows what this could be please let me know. thanks again
Old 12-26-2008, 12:03 AM

Disconnect the amp wire again and see what happens if/when the fuse blows. If it doesnt then disconnect all of the speakers and reconnect one by one till it blows again. Once you find the culprit and have it isolated you can proceed with the proper fix then.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:19 AM

great idea but could the amp itself blow the fuse?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:20 AM

im going to go try that right now, ill let you know my findings. thanks again
Old 12-26-2008, 12:38 AM

ok so i just disconnected the rears since they are so easy to get to.

all i had was a 20 fuse but bose calls for a 15. hope that is ok.

it is coming from the original rear one that was hanging with cap off and amp exposed. the other sounded great but when i conected speaker wires to this one it sounded horrible like it was badly blown. i held it on for a few seconds and it became pretty hot so i pulled off. did not leave on long enough to blow fuse or should i? to make sure its def that one.

so its probably that speaker right? i dont think it could be the amp sending that distorted sound or could it? i guess i could try that speaker on the other side, if it blows fuse there, its the speaker but if it plays then its the opp side amp. fair to think that?

where does one even get a replacement speker with the correct olhms to match bose like that? thanks again

Last edited by 2k0to2k3; 12-26-2008 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2k0to2k3
great idea but could the amp itself blow the fuse?
Yes, hence the reason for leaving all disconnected with the exception of the amp itself.

Originally Posted by 2k0to2k3
ok so i just disconnected the rears since they are so easy to get to.

all i had was a 20 fuse but bose calls for a 15. hope that is ok.

it is coming from the original rear one that was hanging with cap off and amp exposed. the other sounded great but when i conected speaker wires to this one it sounded horrible like it was badly blown. i held it on for a few seconds and it became pretty hot so i pulled off.

so its probably the speaker right? could it be the amp sending that distorted sound? i guess i could try that speaker on the other side, if it blows it there, its the speaker but if it plays then its the amp.

where does one even get a replacement speker with the correct olhms like that? thanks again
You do Not need to go to all the speakers and disconnect them, just do it at the HU itself and reconnect one by one.

If it calls for a 15, then USE a 15. Using a larger will only make matters worse. Without the ability to blow it will go further up the chain causing even more damage.

So far ...sounds like the single speaker is your problem, but no harm in further investigation. If needed a junkyard is your friend for a replacement.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:46 AM

thank you for the help, it was that speaker or amp cause after disconnecting it, i have no more blown fuses.

the kenwood kdc-mp438u is so adjustable at $150 for the unit, i cant believe it!!!! last time i bought or had an after market was about 7 years ago and at that time to have one like this one now id be looking at a $1000 unit or better.

i am only running 3 speakers right now and the sound is so clear and bass so deep. the stock bose head unit must really suck cause this kenwood really just made the amps and speakers come to life!

with only 3 working, i was jumping from my car (2k max with bose and sub) to hers with same radio station on and her only 3, blew my 5 with sub totally away! her highs were so much more crisp and the bass sounded so much tighter!

i even thought before that hers sounded better as her 4th gen two rear speakers in the deck seem to give much better bass and sound than my 5th gen sub being there. instead i have the speakers in my door. BOOOO nissan. you suck and bad move! 5th sub just maxes out so easily and starts to rattle and flex out so easy.

even her highs before kenwood head sounded so much better. any one else feel this way, or is my 5th gen system messed up in some way?

at the same time the ken really opened up the potential of her speakers and would im sure make mine sound much better as well. maybe not as good as hers but better than what i have now. question is scoche only have for front and rear, where would the sub be hooked up to? kenwood has a rear sub cross over out internally but only through the rca's. how would i do that?

thanks again for the help guys, greatly appreciated. she flies home today from fam, out of state and what a surprise and gift. it sounds so good i think im not even going to tell her about the blown one and ruin it. lol she'll never know till i find a replacement
Old 12-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I replaced my hu with a pioneer deh-2000mp and have 2 problems. First, my direct power line (yellow wire) only had .4 volts instead of 12. Anyone know of a possible cause for this? Second, i have temporarily hijacked a constant 12v line to get the system to work which works fine. System sounds good except when i swap inputs or change radio stations i get a loud pop. i am using the metra 7551 harness with the rca outs.

thanks.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You guys are talking about fuses. The rear speakers on my 1996 maxima with the Bose sound system don't work. They both just died at the same time and make no sound now. I was looking for the fuse to see if that was blown, but I can't find any of the audio fuses. Can you guys give me any help?
Old 12-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lost all of my bass!!!!!

OK, I recently bought a Kenwood Deck to replace my stock bose deck. I bought it of crutchfield and I also bought a Line out put converter to convert the new Headunit power so the Bose speakers so it would work. But for some reason it sounded really sketchy and basically all of my bass is gone. I don't now if you can adjust the Converter our if theres anything else I have to do can some one please help me.