Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Passport 8500, problems....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 07:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Passport 8500, problems....

Ok, I just got the 8500 thinking it would be the greatest radar out there. But I don't understand; it still goes off at supermarkets, even picking up the K band. Also what is AUTO mode? how is it different between Highway and CIty? thanks.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:01 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Supermarket door opener sensors and older police radar guns share the same "K" band frequency...You can switch the K band off but check around your area to see if the police use the old K band radar or the newer KA or Laser gun type radar. Highway and City modes are basically sensitivity settings. I leave mine on Highway all the time since I forget to switch it when I get off the freeway .

Maximadave
Old 11-15-2001, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by maximadave
Supermarket door opener sensors and older police radar guns share the same "K" band frequency...You can switch the K band off but check around your area to see if the police use the old K band radar or the newer KA or Laser gun type radar. Highway and City modes are basically sensitivity settings. I leave mine on Highway all the time since I forget to switch it when I get off the freeway .

Maximadave
Aight thanks. Dave, you ever use the 8500? If so was it as good as they say?
Old 11-15-2001, 07:43 PM

I have the 8500 and it still goes off on K band and X band supermarket doors. I have tried it on all three settings (auto, hwy, and city). All still pick up the same. My suggestion to you is to change the display. You can change it to expert mode where it will display how many different signals is it getting. For example. I have to drive by wal-mart and office depot everyday. Both use K band auto doors. Now when my detector is not on expert mode, the alarm just sounds. OK, that's what is supposed to do right. But what if there is a cop there in the middle of the road using K band radar. I am used to hearing it go off there so I would most likely ignor the alert and get picked off the cop. Now with the expert mode it will show alert bands from different signals. For instance ... walmart and office depot use different frequencies for their doors. The detector knows this and displays two different signals. Now in that scenerio if a third band is there ... hey slow down stupid there's a cop up there.

You can find the instructions on setting that up in the instruction manual. To be honest ... it was that feature that made me purchase the 8500. It is great.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by ispeed
I have the 8500 and it still goes off on K band and X band supermarket doors. I have tried it on all three settings (auto, hwy, and city). All still pick up the same. My suggestion to you is to change the display. You can change it to expert mode where it will display how many different signals is it getting. For example. I have to drive by wal-mart and office depot everyday. Both use K band auto doors. Now when my detector is not on expert mode, the alarm just sounds. OK, that's what is supposed to do right. But what if there is a cop there in the middle of the road using K band radar. I am used to hearing it go off there so I would most likely ignor the alert and get picked off the cop. Now with the expert mode it will show alert bands from different signals. For instance ... walmart and office depot use different frequencies for their doors. The detector knows this and displays two different signals. Now in that scenerio if a third band is there ... hey slow down stupid there's a cop up there.

You can find the instructions on setting that up in the instruction manual. To be honest ... it was that feature that made me purchase the 8500. It is great.
thanks a lot
Old 11-16-2001, 11:09 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Exactly