General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

V1 vs Passport 8500 review and questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 12:02 AM

V1 vs Passport 8500 review and questions

I hope this doesn't overlap with Shumax's review too much. Shumax, or anyone, I would appreciate any feedback.

First, I have used the V1 (older version) for 2 years. I switched to the passport 8500 after my friend got a ticket, radar was Ka band instant-on. Now, I bought the V1 (newest version) to try it out. I have used both for about a month now. I need to decide which one to keep but it's tough. I hope that I can help others in my predicament. I had both radars mounted on the opposite end of the windshield.

V1 definitely falses more, in any mode. There is a mall that sets off my V1 on K band about 1/4 strength. The thing is my passport will pick it up sometimes. Now, is that good or bad? Do you think that the Passport is smart and knows that it is a false alarm?

As for K-band, the V1 is definitely more sensitive. While driving down the freeway, V1 goes off for 1 sec, passport nothing. 10 secs later I get instant-on K band on both, it was a cop hiding by the off-ramp. That might be reason enough for me to keep the V1. I can deal with the over-sensitive K band on the V1. The majority of cops still use K-band, right?

X-band, V1 also picked it up much sooner than the Passport, but who cares.

In my opinion, Ka-band is the most important band in detection. It seems that troopers on I-90 in Wisconsin use Ka now. Unfortunately, I did not get any good tests with this. The one thing that bothers me is that the Passport would give me short warnings of Ka, while the V1 did nothing. I looked for cops, but never saw anything. My experience is that Ka doesn't false often, so I am making the assumption that the Passport is better in Ka, but it's hard to support that.

-Rear detection of V1 is superior.

-I love the direction arrows, real nice. You can use it to guess if a short warning was a cop. If the arrow goes front->back, it might have been another radar, or cop, but then you know it's behind you.

-V1-No encounter with Laser. But the passport did pick up laser with a car in front of me.

-Andy
Old 11-08-2001, 05:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: V1 vs Passport 8500 review and questions

I'd probably return the 8500 and think about upgrading the V1. No sense in owning comparable (roughly) detectors and the newer V1 may make it a no contest. In the end, you are paying for the arrows. Even if it falses more, if the arrows can help you interpret them, then all the better. I will say that the 8500 has an expert mode which will tell you how many sources and in what band that it is picking up. I think that also helps.
Old 11-08-2001, 05:54 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: V1 vs Passport 8500 review and questions

I also had both radars and recently sold my passport 8500. I now own the 1.8 V1. The V1 blows the doors off the Passport in warning distance.

Let me explain this to you from your post. You said you were coming up to the mall and the V1 went off on K but the Passport may or may not. The V1 is more sensitive and will pick up the bands BETTER than the Passport. K and KA are most used in cop radars (at leaast here in texas). X is usually alarms and doors, but I am starting to see alot using K now.

Keep the V1, its well worth the money over the Passport.

I will also mention the Passport had a problem with picking up Laser when there isn't laser. Flashing strobes, or some type of light causes this. It happens to me alot around the airport.

V1 hasn't gone off yet.

Originally posted by ahkim
I hope this doesn't overlap with Shumax's review too much. Shumax, or anyone, I would appreciate any feedback.

First, I have used the V1 (older version) for 2 years. I switched to the passport 8500 after my friend got a ticket, radar was Ka band instant-on. Now, I bought the V1 (newest version) to try it out. I have used both for about a month now. I need to decide which one to keep but it's tough. I hope that I can help others in my predicament. I had both radars mounted on the opposite end of the windshield.

V1 definitely falses more, in any mode. There is a mall that sets off my V1 on K band about 1/4 strength. The thing is my passport will pick it up sometimes. Now, is that good or bad? Do you think that the Passport is smart and knows that it is a false alarm?

As for K-band, the V1 is definitely more sensitive. While driving down the freeway, V1 goes off for 1 sec, passport nothing. 10 secs later I get instant-on K band on both, it was a cop hiding by the off-ramp. That might be reason enough for me to keep the V1. I can deal with the over-sensitive K band on the V1. The majority of cops still use K-band, right?

X-band, V1 also picked it up much sooner than the Passport, but who cares.

In my opinion, Ka-band is the most important band in detection. It seems that troopers on I-90 in Wisconsin use Ka now. Unfortunately, I did not get any good tests with this. The one thing that bothers me is that the Passport would give me short warnings of Ka, while the V1 did nothing. I looked for cops, but never saw anything. My experience is that Ka doesn't false often, so I am making the assumption that the Passport is better in Ka, but it's hard to support that.

-Rear detection of V1 is superior.

-I love the direction arrows, real nice. You can use it to guess if a short warning was a cop. If the arrow goes front->back, it might have been another radar, or cop, but then you know it's behind you.

-V1-No encounter with Laser. But the passport did pick up laser with a car in front of me.

-Andy

Old 11-08-2001, 06:22 AM

nire review...thanks! i think i know what i'm gonna get now...
Old 11-08-2001, 06:34 AM

What's the cost on these unit?
Old 11-08-2001, 06:44 AM

yeh

thanks for the info, i've also had my v1 for a long time and want to upgrade it.

I agree, who cares about X, i have it disabled on my V1.

Thanks again
Old 11-08-2001, 07:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the passport 8500 and now I'm not as happy.

Near my apartment there is a electronic warning sign that emitts a K band signal. On the way to work I pick it up about a mile before I reach the sign. But on the way back from work, when I'm on the other side of the highway, I only pick it up about 1/4 mile before I reach it.
Also, once I pass it, the radar detector stops pretty quick which leads me to believe that there isn't much (or any) rear detection.

Today on my way to work, there was a big truck with a trailer in the right lane and I was in the left, I was driving next to him then all of a sudden my radar goes full blast... it was the sign. It seems that the truck blocked my radar detector from giving me any warning.
I wasn't happy.

I'm considering upgrading to a 1.8 V1
Old 11-08-2001, 08:09 AM

Re: Re: V1 vs Passport 8500 review and questions

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
I also had both radars and recently sold my passport 8500. I now own the 1.8 V1. The V1 blows the doors off the Passport in warning distance.

Let me explain this to you from your post. You said you were coming up to the mall and the V1 went off on K but the Passport may or may not. The V1 is more sensitive and will pick up the bands BETTER than the Passport. K and KA are most used in cop radars (at leaast here in texas). X is usually alarms and doors, but I am starting to see alot using K now.

Keep the V1, its well worth the money over the Passport.

I will also mention the Passport had a problem with picking up Laser when there isn't laser. Flashing strobes, or some type of light causes this. It happens to me alot around the airport.

V1 hasn't gone off yet.

Yeah what is that thing that set's off the laser by the airport? Second question, has anyone made a detector that picks up HH radar?
Old 11-08-2001, 01:16 PM

Well I was ready to pack up the V1 and send it in, as it's due back by Friday. But I decided to stick with it for now. Your replies have compelled me to keep trying both. No one really commented on the Ka band detection range yet, so I'll keep trying it out. I'll post an update as soon as I decide which one is superior.

For those who have used both, any input on the Ka-band detection?

-Andy
Old 11-08-2001, 01:45 PM

V-1 vs 8500 vs 980

Not sure of the date on this test (other than it is 2001). Seems to provide some insight into the best KA Radar though. http://www.radartest.com/DS4HEM.html
Old 11-08-2001, 01:46 PM

how much do v1's cost?
Old 11-08-2001, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by breaux124
I have the passport 8500 and now I'm not as happy.

Near my apartment there is a electronic warning sign that emitts a K band signal. On the way to work I pick it up about a mile before I reach the sign. But on the way back from work, when I'm on the other side of the highway, I only pick it up about 1/4 mile before I reach it.
Also, once I pass it, the radar detector stops pretty quick which leads me to believe that there isn't much (or any) rear detection.
I don't see why people care about rear detection. I would guess over 99% of traffic citations are written after you being tagged from the front.

just my opinion
Old 11-08-2001, 04:31 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: V-1 vs 8500 vs 980

Originally posted by tkriggs
Not sure of the date on this test (other than it is 2001). Seems to provide some insight into the best KA Radar though. http://www.radartest.com/DS4HEM.html
That was with the 1.7v V1, the 1.8 just got released. They fixed all the complaints and now its much better.

Old 11-08-2001, 04:39 PM

V1 vs Bel 980

Thanks for the update concerning the version of the V1 in the test. However, having seen Bel 980's sell for $220..and knowing a V1 goes for what $399? I don't believe a V1 is twice the detector that a 980 is. Just my opinion though.

-Keith
Old 11-08-2001, 06:15 PM

Hmmm

Well it sounds much like my review a month ago---good to hear you had the same experiences.

Rear radar DOES matter. Think about it for second. If you are cruising along and get a chirp from the 8500 and keep going you are looking ahead for the source---don't see it so you speed up. All the while he is coming up from the rear while you are looking ahead. Before you know it, he is hitting you with instan-on in the rear!

Or--you get a rear signal on the V1 and can look in the mirror to see if he is gaining on you. If not, don't worry and keep on going. At least you know you don't have one coming right at you that demands immediate attention to the brake pedal. The 8500 just chirps and leaves you to guess!

SHUMAx
Old 11-08-2001, 06:30 PM
RussMaxManiac

Let me add something to this as well...

Buy the Bel, but in about 3 years that bel will be worthless. Buy the V1, pay $400, be good for 2-3 years or more, in 2-10 years pay 150 and upgrade to the new model with all the standards and get a BRAN NEW RADAR from V1 or pay another 220 for a Bel and sell your old one for 50?

Old 11-08-2001, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by MaineI30

I don't see why people care about rear detection. I would guess over 99% of traffic citations are written after you being tagged from the front.

just my opinion
well, lets say you see a radar, you slow down, and then you see a cop and when you pass him (you go fast after that, obviously) the radar goes off again. what do you do? do you slow down or do you assume that it was the cop behind you so you'refine?

well, w/ having V1, the radar will tell you that that you've passed a radar but there might be something ahead also, so it'll show both arrows warning you about the danger
Old 11-08-2001, 07:16 PM

Re: yeh

Originally posted by MaineI30
thanks for the info, i've also had my v1 for a long time and want to upgrade it.

I agree, who cares about X, i have it disabled on my V1.

Thanks again
How'd you disable X on your V1?

FWIW, I really like my V1. The arrows and upgrade policy all make it worth the extra money. When I drive my wife's car with my old detector and it goes off, I'm lost since I've gotten used to checking the arrows on the V1 and then using that info to determine my next move. It's nice knowing where to look.

Jim
Old 11-08-2001, 07:26 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: yeh

Originally posted by JJW95SC

FWIW, I really like my V1. The arrows and upgrade policy all make it worth the extra money. When I drive my wife's car with my old detector and it goes off, I'm lost since I've gotten used to checking the arrows on the V1 and then using that info to determine my next move. It's nice knowing where to look.

Jim

www.valentine1.com/lab/mikeslabrpt3.asp

Here is how to do it.

Old 11-08-2001, 09:47 PM

In Howard County MD, the cops still use X-band. I was surprised to say the least.

my 2 cents.....Arrows kick butt.
Old 11-09-2001, 06:52 AM

Re: Re: yeh

Originally posted by JJW95SC

Jim
I was going to disable X band on my passport until I was driving to Atlantic City one weekend, and my radar went off with X band. It was a cop hiding on the AC expressway behind one of the overpasses.

And again on the same trip on the way back my radar went off with K band. So I guess in Jersey they have both types of detectors.
I think it would be better to get false alarms every now and then vs getting busted because you disabled X band.
Old 11-09-2001, 07:35 AM

Another Set of Tests

Another good sight for detector tests. Also contains new information concerning a new radar gun by MPH.
http://www.speedzones.com/

-Keith
Old 11-09-2001, 09:45 PM

Have you tested the Passport in city, highway, and auto modes? I usually just leave it in auto. Yesterday I picked up (Passport 8500) intant-on with a lot of warning. It then got stronger 1/4 mile down the road. I'm still a huge Passport believer. I'm waiting for expert reviews before considering a switch.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:47 PM

The Bel 980 is flash upgradeable. So is the Passport. Russ, when you believe in something, you go 110%. LOL.

Let me add something to this as well...

Buy the Bel, but in about 3 years that bel will be worthless. Buy the V1, pay $400, be good for 2-3 years or more, in 2-10 years pay 150 and upgrade to the new model with all the standards and get a BRAN NEW RADAR from V1 or pay another 220 for a Bel and sell your old one for 50?
Old 11-09-2001, 09:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: yeh

www.valentine1.com/lab/mikeslabrpt3.asp

Here is how to do it.

Exactly!
Old 11-09-2001, 10:50 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Paul6speed
The Bel 980 is flash upgradeable. So is the Passport. Russ, when you believe in something, you go 110%. LOL.

Well, I can tell you that its picking up radars much further than my passport, thats all I can say. I have the radar, and I defintey believe in it. Since I had the passport and it was rated better than the v1.7, this v1.8 is great. Rarely falses.

Old 11-11-2001, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by Paul6speed
Have you tested the Passport in city, highway, and auto modes? I usually just leave it in auto. Yesterday I picked up (Passport 8500) intant-on with a lot of warning. It then got stronger 1/4 mile down the road. I'm still a huge Passport believer. I'm waiting for expert reviews before considering a switch.
I'm with you on this one, I want to see some reviews before I dump my 8500. It's taken good care of me so far and unless the V1 1.8 shows a major performance increase in atleast a couple areas, I don't think I'll upgrade.
Old 11-12-2001, 06:34 AM

Don't get the V1! Once you use those arrows, you never want to go back!

DW

Originally posted by guido_sst

I'm with you on this one, I want to see some reviews before I dump my 8500. It's taken good care of me so far and unless the V1 1.8 shows a major performance increase in atleast a couple areas, I don't think I'll upgrade.