Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

CD Deck problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:38 AM

CD Deck problems

I have a 04 Max with a Bose system. Everything works fine except that my CD deck seems to be dirty. When I play a CD it will skip as if the CD is scratched. It does this with every CD so I know the problem is the deck.

I was thinking of using a regular CD deck cleaner to clean it, but I think I read somewhere that a regular deck cleaner should not be used to clean the Bose system. What do you guys recommend?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Suspension Yoda

Where did you read that? An optical CD laser is the same for any drive, regardless of manufacturer.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Where did you read that? An optical CD laser is the same for any drive, regardless of manufacturer.
I am not saying it's true but it might be because of the way the cd changer transports the disks, am I way off base?

A cleaning cd has a very small brush attached to it with the bristle length being the same as the distance between the cd and laser, is it possible for the bristles to get caught in certain transport mechanisms?

Also I am not sure if the cleaning cd would ever work because in order for it to clean it needs to play a certain track, not sure if you can get to that track if the lens is dirty.

Last edited by Calcvictim; 07-23-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Calcvictim
I am not saying it's true but it might be because of the way the cd changer transports the disks, am I way off base?

A cleaning cd has a very small brush attached to it with the bristle length being the same as the distance between the cd and laser, is it possible for the bristles to get caught in certain transport mechanisms?

Also I am not sure if the cleaning cd would ever work because in order for it to clean it needs to play a certain track, not sure if you can get to that track if the lens is dirty.
I have a similar problem with my CD changer. CD sound is garbled and inconsistent. I've also noticed the sound changes if I brake hard or take a corner fast.I bought a cleaning CD with the small brushes. It took me 10 tries to get it to run. After running once, it shut down and I haven't been able to get it to play again. Wouldn't recommend it.Any one out there no any other options for cleaning the Bose CD player.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Suspension Yoda

Cleaning the Bose CD player?

Very easy - replace it.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Cleaning the Bose CD player?

Very easy - replace it.

Would like to - I'm saving my coin to put in a double din CD/nav system, but that's probably six months away. Any other suggestions for cleaning the CD player in the meantime. It's starting to really get on my nerves!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:56 PM
Suspension Yoda

Just get a standard deck and a windshield mount navi. Cost effective, navi is more versatile. Plus you can fix your audio sooner.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Calcvictim

Calc, you reasoning is on point. The small brush is the reason why using a regular CD cleaner will not work for cleaning the deck.

I found a product that is made specifically for car audio decks. It is made by Maxell - it is called - Maxell Auto CD- Cleaner.

I am yet to try the product. I will post the results once I get it and try it.