Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

BOSE hemaphrodite system that doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 08:59 PM

BOSE hemaphrodite system that doesn't work

This is really annoying.

I bought a 4th gen 97 SE max a few years ago. It was stock with bose, but the owner decided to replace the speakers along with tweeters and crossovers in the doors with Polk products. When he sold it to me, the stock BOSE head unit worked like crap, all the base sounded really horrible and the volume was not really loud.

So I just spliced a connector in and put in a generic Dura-something brand head unit from WalMart (it played MP3 cds, and that was good enough at the time). It worked like a normal stereo.

Now I decided to make this stereo sys sound better because left speaker was not working along with poor sound quality. So I took door panels off, and sure enough the old crossovers are in there but the wires were cut and polk crossovers are hooked up. The speaker + wire came loose. The setup is a line in from the stereo, and then crossover splits the signal to the tweeter and to the speaker (which on this cross-feeder is called SUBWOOFER). I guess that explains the bad quality sound when stock BOSE unit is in.

Then I accidentally had the red (ACC+) wire touch the shell of that WalMart unit and it sparked and the unit stopped turning on. The BOSE still turns on and plays CDs, but even JVC KD-s15 unit I just got doesn't power on. i've tried 2 of them. I checked all the breakers under driver dash panel and they are good.

Is there another breaker on that Red ACC+ line? or is there another place something could have burnt and is preventing an aftermarket stereo from powering up.

I have another maxima with a non-bose system and I noticed that in the narrower connector the amp gound (black/silver) and another wire right above it are missing. The stock clarion from that max doesn't power on in this one. I think these wires might have something to do with it, although the other max is a non-bose but still has tweeters.

if anyone has any experience or knowledge, i would appreciate it. I have trouble finding specific info on this issue in the stickies.

Last edited by MaximA VlaD; 08-01-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:24 PM

wonderful,

aftermarket JVC KD-S15 works just fine in my 98 SE non-bose. But in this 97 formerly Bose -- not even a power button light when ignition is on. I looked at wiring diagram, and the wires are all in the same location. It is grounded and antenna is in. Not sure what is causing this.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:16 PM

i rewired some connections and found one breaker i overlooked that burnt. solved but thanks anyway