Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Anyone tried Satellite Radio yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 08:24 PM

Anyone tried Satellite Radio yet?

Just curious if anyone's tried it yet? How's the sound quality? Any rain fade like DSS? What are the competing standards? I know about XM, and I think there's a couple more already out.
Old 12-10-2001, 09:01 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Re: Anyone tried Satellite Radio yet?

Originally posted by 2002 SE TX
Just curious if anyone's tried it yet? How's the sound quality? Any rain fade like DSS? What are the competing standards? I know about XM, and I think there's a couple more already out.
It's great, no rain fade, cd digital audio sound, over 100 channels, most are commercial free!!! Currently there are only 2 companies doing satellite radio for the car, XM and Sirrus. Sirrus is very similar but they will not be launched until Jan or Feb of 2002. If you want XM now check out there web site:

www.xmradio.com

Maximadave
Old 12-10-2001, 09:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Anyone tried Satellite Radio yet?

Originally posted by maximadave
It's great, no rain fade, cd digital audio sound, over 100 channels, most are commercial free!!! Currently there are only 2 companies doing satellite radio for the car, XM and Sirrus. Sirrus is very similar but they will not be launched until Jan or Feb of 2002. If you want XM now check out there web site:

www.xmradio.com

Maximadave
Must agree with Dave on this one. It's awesome. It's definitely worth the $9.99 per month subscription. 71 channels now with more than 29 to be added before Sirius is even launched. You can even listen to comedy channels and ESPN or CNNSI radio. It's worth getting it. Check it out.
Old 12-11-2001, 03:41 AM

are they gonna have something similar for in car TV's? on my alpine TV tuner it says it's cable ready... what does that mean??? i hope they're going to launch some digital video thing like XM in the near future, then i can watch music videos with good reception. in car TV tuner reception just are not too great.
Old 12-11-2001, 12:33 PM

quality is 100% digital, sounds just like a cd playing. Ive installed about 5 of the new Pioneer units and like 2 of the cheap Sony universal ones. Pioneer by far is the better unit, its just a lil more involved to install. Sony is pretty much plug n play type but uses a tape deck as the source input to your system rather than hookin directly to your headunit.

Anthony
Old 12-11-2001, 01:38 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally posted by mingo
are they gonna have something similar for in car TV's? on my alpine TV tuner it says it's cable ready... what does that mean??? i hope they're going to launch some digital video thing like XM in the near future, then i can watch music videos with good reception. in car TV tuner reception just are not too great.
DSS Satellite broadcast for TV is available now but generally for motorhomes because of the huge 18" dish that sits on top of the motorhome. They are suppose to have a much smaller one next year for SUV's and cars. I'll probably see them at the CES show in Las Vegas next month. I'll check them out and let everyone know...

Maximadave
Old 12-11-2001, 04:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bought the Kenwood Z828 MP3 Head Unit. It uses Sirrius.

I hope the hype is worth it, but it sucks having to wait until February.

IanS
Old 12-11-2001, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by maximadave
DSS Satellite broadcast for TV is available now but generally for motorhomes because of the huge 18" dish that sits on top of the motorhome. They are suppose to have a much smaller one next year for SUV's and cars. I'll probably see them at the CES show in Las Vegas next month. I'll check them out and let everyone know...

Maximadave
gosh why don't they every throw CES during winter vacation?? it always has to be the first week of winter quarter... i hate it.. and i get in for free too... gosh... i haven't been to one but i really wish i could go... please let us know abut the satelite broadcast for TV's... thanx... i've seen the huge dish, kinda thot of making a custom bracket out of the thule bike rack my sister left behind and slapping that dish on, but hten it's too ugly..
Old 12-11-2001, 08:10 PM

Any idea which standard (XM, Sirrus, are there others?) has the most industry backing? I don't want to get stuck with a Betamax
Old 12-11-2001, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by 2002 SE TX
Any idea which standard (XM, Sirrus, are there others?) has the most industry backing? I don't want to get stuck with a Betamax
Sirrus is behind The comp circuit and partly becuase of that I think they will be there in the end. The down fall for now is you can't get it with all head units, plus you gotta pay I just wish I had some radio at this point.