Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

My damned headunit wont start up!! (bring reading glasses)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:58 PM

My damned headunit wont start up!! (bring reading glasses)

4th gen automatic
BOSE system

Okay, the scenario I'm currently in has boggled my brain for months, confused me deeply, and has recently made me realize how I just wasted money on a new headunit. I'll describe below...

Once upon a time, I wanted my foglights to function like DRL's (my bro's MKV GTi inspired me). I searched how to rewire and bam!, a mod to rewire the fogs to the wiper relay. Okay, as I figured out I can do this by myself without any true knowledge of car electronics, I dove into the project. I disconnected the negative terminal as to not fry out any electronics in the car. I opened the relay box, found the wire to cut, and electric taped that baby up. I popped the terminal back, put the keys into accessory and...nothing. Okay, so again, I disconnect the terminal, and realize my mistake. I wire the correct way and put the terminal back on. ZAPZAPZAPZAP went the starter because I forgot the keys were in accessory! No big deal, I disconnected the terminal once more and took the keys out. Started it the proper way and now I have DRL style fogs . Eager to show the local streets my new modification, I took it around town, cruising around hoping people admire it . Then I was thinking I want to blast some music so I hit the volume button and...nothing. I quickly realized that the radio hadn't even turned on since the rewire. My 1st reaction was a blown fuse. Checked all BOSE related fuses and all are fine. So then I concluded I fried my HU and its time to buy a new one. I finally purchased one today and installed it. I thought my problems were finally over and then, nothing. WTFWTF GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MOTHER ******.

This doesn't add up! There isn't anything in the relay box that has to do with radio, so I couldn't have cut a wire. And also, the fuses are fine! I need serious help because I really can't stand wearing my headphones while I'm trying to enjoy my catback and my freaking car stereo system. The headunits aren't broken(atleast I don't think) because the lights turn on inside!

Anybody undergo similar problems or have any suggestions/solutions? because I plan on selling maxi real soon and I want to avoid losing money over a non working radio. THANKS IN ADVANCE YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST
Old 01-07-2011, 01:28 PM

Try manually running the ground to the dash support. On my 5.5 Gen I found that the harness ground wires really aren't hooked to anything.

Also verify the radio power circuit is powering when you turn on Accessory. You can do that with a $7 circuit tester available at any auto parts store.

In the meantime I'm going to take a quick look at your FSM to see if I can figure out what got interrupted.

Quick question: Does the clock turn on?

Last edited by Froggmann; 01-07-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:56 PM

well I just checked all the fuses. nothings blown. My clock does turn on, as well as the leds inside of the headunit. How would I ground? whWHen i removed and installed a headunit yesterday, there were no grounds to be seen
Old 01-07-2011, 04:14 PM

I don't know about your dash but on mine there were several steel support columns of which I was able to ground onto.

Given your headunit lights up that tells me your Bose amp may not be turning on. Hook up the HU's amp trigger wire to both the blue and blue w/ white stripe wires.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:17 PM

You may need a new Wire harness
Old 01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Suspension Yoda

Quite a predicament.

Even though you're certain nothing in the relay box affects the radio, have you considered bringing everything back to stock and taking it from there?

Where are you located?