Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need help on choosing an amp.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:42 AM
L36

Need help on choosing an amp.

Hello.
So my rockford punch 600a4 died, it refuses to turn on, the LED stays lit but it does not turn on, checked all the cabling and voltages...
When it does turn on, only front speakers work, rear do not, yes i checked all connections and cables.

Anyway, most likely repairing this amp for me will run quite expensive so i need some help picking a good amp for my speakers. Must be 4 channel, i have 4 ohm 2 way 100 watt speakers totaling 2 pairs of them. I'm an audio noob, since i bout the car recently with all the audio addons. Or possibly it worth trying to repair the amp i have?
Thanks.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 AM

Well I have been running an Alpine 75x5 Rms 4 channel with infinity speakers in 3 different cars for about 5 years. Alpine has never let me down. Other 4 ch I used to love when I worked at best buy and the ol CC was Infinity and Polk and kicker. They kicker/rockford 4 channels were expensive but not bad sounding. Though for the money I liked alpine/infinty better. Now theres boston acoustics many people swear by them Ive never used them. You really just need to do your research... in car audio you get what you pay for but the name brands always mark up there product so you goota look for deals...I know a conundrum!

Good place you can find deals http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/

Crutchfild is your best place for research there web site ratings of amps are usually spot on. Best buys web site is usually wrong but you can always go in look at test and feel out the product.

As far as fixing it from what it sounds your better off getting a new one, unless you got lucky and just popped a soldier joint on the rca ins but not likely cause either your front or rears would have gone out not both... but again check your ground make sure its tight and no rust and just for s&g's cause its winter.. make sure your car is producing 14.4v while running
Old 02-15-2011, 03:30 PM
L36

Originally Posted by Tommiekatt916
Well I have been running an Alpine 75x5 Rms 4 channel with infinity speakers in 3 different cars for about 5 years. Alpine has never let me down. Other 4 ch I used to love when I worked at best buy and the ol CC was Infinity and Polk and kicker. They kicker/rockford 4 channels were expensive but not bad sounding. Though for the money I liked alpine/infinty better. Now theres boston acoustics many people swear by them Ive never used them. You really just need to do your research... in car audio you get what you pay for but the name brands always mark up there product so you goota look for deals...I know a conundrum!

Good place you can find deals http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/

Crutchfild is your best place for research there web site ratings of amps are usually spot on. Best buys web site is usually wrong but you can always go in look at test and feel out the product.

As far as fixing it from what it sounds your better off getting a new one, unless you got lucky and just popped a soldier joint on the rca ins but not likely cause either your front or rears would have gone out not both... but again check your ground make sure its tight and no rust and just for s&g's cause its winter.. make sure your car is producing 14.4v while running
Just double checked all of my speaker connections, the power cables and checked for any possible voltage irregularities ect. Nothing. Ground is good, absolutely no voltage recorded on it, not even .01. Car produces 14.4-14.6 when running. Now, its safe to assume that the amp died.
Thanks for the link.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an Alpine 4 channel and I would recommend it. But I would NOT recommend onlinecarstereo.com! Crooks!! I got a single din Clarion flip out dvd from them that arrived broken and I obviosly had to install to know it didnt work but when I called they said I needed to submit for repair which would take them 4-6 weeks and I couldnt simply return because it had been installed. Okay I'm done... I have also used Kenwood 4 channel and have been very happy with that.