Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Kicker vs Rockford Fosgate

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:55 PM

Kicker vs Rockford Fosgate

Just returned my kicker cvr 12 to best buy for $160 refund and am buying this http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKFORD-FOS...item5aded4d0dc. Am I making the right choice? just figured I'd ask for your opinions. The kicker surprisingly did not sound good with my 820watt pioneer amp.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:01 PM

I've heard Rockford Fosgate subs have too much base(meaning even base is present when the artist is speaking), They could have fixed this by now though(2 years back) I personally like Alpine Type-S and Alpine Type-X(expensive) just so clear to me. The main thing is your enclosure though. Have you played with the Rockford Fosgate in a store perhaps to test it out? Maybe that could help your decision.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou55
I've heard Rockford Fosgate subs have too much base(meaning even base is present when the artist is speaking), They could have fixed this by now though(2 years back) I personally like Alpine Type-S and Alpine Type-X(expensive) just so clear to me. The main thing is your enclosure though. Have you played with the Rockford Fosgate in a store perhaps to test it out? Maybe that could help your decision.
^ how can a subwoofer have too much bass?? just turn it down

i liked the older RF stuff, the newer lineup...not so much. remember, the box that the sub is in very important, it can really make or break a sub's performance.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:41 PM

^^^^^
Too much base meaning you shouldn't hear unnecessary base from the "voice portion" of a music track or whatever you listen to(similar to someone speaking too close in a microphone) that's what tweeters are for...think before you assume the obvious please
Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 AM

^^^^^
Too much base meaning you shouldn't hear unnecessary base from the "voice portion" of a music track or whatever you listen to(similar to someone speaking too close in a microphone) that's what tweeters are for...think before you assume the obvious please
then it's a matter of tuning/improper crossover points. you shouldn't be able to hear vocals from your subs, regardless of what brand you get.

and it's basS.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:46 PM

Even with proper connections and tuning Rockford Fosgate subs still had this issue in the past, its funny you knew how to tell me its was bass and not base but you couldn't comprehend the point of my post...anywayz OP good luck with your Sub decision and install
Old 10-11-2011, 06:08 PM

Even with proper connections and tuning Rockford Fosgate subs still had this issue in the past, its funny you knew how to tell me its was bass and not base but you couldn't comprehend the point of my post...anywayz OP good luck with your Sub decision and install
If you have the crossover set to a proper frequency, the sub will never receive the signal to play the vocals. Maybe the subs you heard just werent set up properly.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Car Addict
If you have the crossover set to a proper frequency, the sub will never receive the signal to play the vocals. Maybe the subs you heard just werent set up properly.
you could be correct...it was my buddies car and he had them professionally installed(even though pros do make mistakes too) he took it back and when they tried 3 different subs of same make and model and still had same effect(lots of variability here though) but when he tried a couple different models(non Rockford Fosgate) it didnt happen(yes weird I know)...I was just trying to tell the OP what I have witnessed but it could be several things that caused this...not a big deal though he got the sound he wanted with a different set of subs and everyone lived happily ever after lol
Old 10-11-2011, 06:50 PM

Cmon guys I didn't ask for a pointless argument, simply an opinion. Which do you prefer? I went ahead and ordere the RF's anyway because I want them so bad. My friend has them in his Jetta and they are literally the best things I've ever heard. I wasn't sureif he has a better model though so I asked you guys.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Kicker anyday over rockford aka kicker livin' loud? Ive.had em all kicker out beats ouast any day of the year
Old 10-11-2011, 08:32 PM

I did comprehend the point of your post, just because you heard a sub with vocals coming through doesn't mean the entire product lineup is bad. But I digress...

OP what's your budget? Regardless what you get, proper installation and tuning are a must for optimum performance. I had a pair of Sound Splinter RLi 8's in a nice ported box that surprised a lot of people.

But IMO if you want output, that setup in the ebay link you provided will be fine.

Last edited by AscendantMax; 10-11-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:09 AM

Maybe I could post my amp on here and you guys could tell me what to tune the settings to. To be honest I really don't know what to do with the settings at all. I blew my pioneer sub that way...
Old 10-12-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dougy Trah
Maybe I could post my amp on here and you guys could tell me what to tune the settings to. To be honest I really don't know what to do with the settings at all. I blew my pioneer sub that way...
Every setup is different. just gotta use your ears.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:58 AM

You want an honest opinion?? They are both not that great and you can do better for the money.

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
I did comprehend the point of your post, just because you heard a sub with vocals coming through doesn't mean the entire product lineup is bad. But I digress...

OP what's your budget? Regardless what you get, proper installation and tuning are a must for optimum performance. I had a pair of Sound Splinter RLi 8's in a nice ported box that surprised a lot of people.

But IMO if you want output, that setup in the ebay link you provided will be fine.
Love the RLi's ^^^^^
Old 10-13-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ricksi30
Love the RLi's ^^^^^
ditto, they are little beasts. lots of output, and very muscial as well.

i love seeing people's faces when i showed them what was making all that rukus in my trunk.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:29 AM

find a pair of the older RF punch HX2s; they pop up for reasonable prices on ebay now and then. These subs will take a beating and dish one out as well.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dougy Trah
The setting you have to be most careful for, is the gain setting. That's what will destroy a speaker if set too high
Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

YGPM