Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

change out a sub to 6.5

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:41 PM

change out a sub to 6.5

i like my regular 8" sub but it is taking up space in the trunk. looking into changing out my sub for a set of 2-way 6.5 with nice bass. any suggestion? will i be disappointed with the bass?
Old 10-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What did you decide? Did the 6.5 sound good? I just got my Max and don't want a box.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by kel456
i like my regular 8" sub but it is taking up space in the trunk. looking into changing out my sub for a set of 2-way 6.5 with nice bass. any suggestion? will i be disappointed with the bass?
2 way 6.5 won't really provided any base. have the shop fab a rear deck to place your 8" sub there. We don't have a location for a 6x9 either but that would be the best if you wanted some sort of base response. Last suggestions is probably 6.5" component set. Look into Rockford Fosgate, JL Audio, Pioneer, Boston acoustic, MB Quart. they all have great sound and they will vary in price range. good luck.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:06 PM

i would invest in a good component set, and power them properly with a dedicated amp. but probably the most beneficial thing you can do to improve your bass/midbass response is to fully sound deaden your doors and cover up any large openings.

I have anywhere from 2-3 layers of sound deadening material on my doors, and my midbass response is quite good (granted i have 8's in my doors ) but the principle still applies to any good front stage setup. i ran some 6.5" components in the past, and it provides sufficient bass to the point I can disable my sub.

contact pearl96max for some speaker choices, just provide him with a budget and he'll work with you.

Last edited by AscendantMax; 10-16-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:12 PM

thank everyone.

do you mean by cutting out an 8" hole between the two 6.5 speakers?

Originally Posted by maxurlife
2 way 6.5 won't really provided any base. have the shop fab a rear deck to place your 8" sub there. We don't have a location for a 6x9 either but that would be the best if you wanted some sort of base response. Last suggestions is probably 6.5" component set. Look into Rockford Fosgate, JL Audio, Pioneer, Boston acoustic, MB Quart. they all have great sound and they will vary in price range. good luck.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 PM

What I would do is get a nice set of component speakers and hook them up to some decent amp. You will get good bass off of them and also pretty crisp sound altogether.
Have you heard or seen the Hertz speakers? They are an Italian brand and have had the highest ratings over the past 10 years.
http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm

can see some prices here:
http://www.woofersetc.com/c-10-compon-speakers.aspx?manufacturerid=138
Old 11-18-2011, 01:50 PM

I'm in the same boat as you OP. I've had two 12" subs in my trunk for the past 3 years and loved listening to them, but recently I was thinking about getting rid of them and moving on. Then last week I hit a pothole and had to replace the tire with a spare. It was a *itch trying to take my sub box out from the trunk to get to the spare tire. Imagine 1:00am and 35 degrees outside. I was able to eventually unscrew the wires from the amp and take the box out but after spending nearly an hour to get the whole job done I decided to get rid of them. The next morning I put them in my house and now I am bass-deprived.

I've been looking around for a nice set of components and I came across these Pioneers.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ries/TS-A1604C

The frequency response is 29-29kHz but read some reviews which say that it does not really put out the deep bass that you would expect. Still trying to do some more research though and hopefully get a nice set of components before Decemeber. Possibly Black Friday?

But referring to your original question, I would advise you to stay away from 2 or 3-ways and go with components, just as everyone else has said.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:20 PM

have been doing some searching. couldn't find out the optimal low frequency that a components woofers would play in. for example with the above Pioneers, i am not sure if it can't play notes around 30Hz. curious of what a set components do compare to regular pairs of tweeters and woofers?

with the components setup, i guess people need to replace the tweeters in the front and the replace the speakers in the rear deck. curious of what people use with the front speakers? mid-bass or 2-way speakers?