Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit it, but I'm flummoxed. Aux in Question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:51 PM

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit it, but I'm flummoxed. Aux in Question.

Okay, So I have a 4th gen and my radio has been slowly dying a slow death. (98' SE NON-bose). I decided to replace the rear speakers and head unit. I bought a used blaupunkt san jose (Mp41) and when I quickly read over things I thought it had said AUX IN, which meant I thought it had it in the front, well never buy something when you are studying for finals. It does have an AUX in but they are RCA input in the back.

I was able to get the stereo in and do all the wiring (thank you installdr) but I ran into an issue when attempting to do the AUX in.

So basically it has Two RCA inputs, one set for rear speakers and one set for the front speakers. All I want to do is do a line in and connect it to my iPod's/Iphone's jack. I don't really want an iPod connector, I just want the simple aux in that plugs into it like headphones. Is this even possible? I got a Y cable http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Splitte...pd_sim_sbs_e_1 from radioshack and then realized (embarrassingly) that it means I only get sound to either the front or the back, not all simultaneously. And the sound seems really low. There is this thing from crutch field: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BqwHRvW...Blaupunkt.html but it disconnects the CD changer... This is all so confusing. Is there any sort of adapter that allows me to plug in all 4 RCA inputs with a line out like a headphone jack? Is this hopeless? I didn't want to spend a bunch of money since I'm going to be getting a newer vehicle in the next 6 months. But I drive across the country a lot and my iPod is a lifesaver with audiobooks, movies and music.

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question. Just trying to get this taken care of before I have to drive 2000 miles tomorrow

Please help. I'm a novice at these things, but I can definitely take direction.

This is basically the back of the unit.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:57 PM
tastey wheat

The red and white rca's on the back of the deck are outputs, not inputs (which is what you're looking for)

what are those two black rca females on the right (in the heat sink)? if those are outputs, then yes, you need to purchase that adapter. The cd changer would normally plug in there if you had one.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:01 AM

I looked up the info on that HU and it said "optional auxiliary input (adapter required)"

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_023IPOD...tor-Cable.html
Old 01-07-2012, 01:33 PM

Thank you, I saw that too but I guess I'm slightly confused on where that thing plugs into... or is this a case of more wiring?