Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

5th Gen car audio ? (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 08:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

5th Gen car audio ? (kinda long)

Hey folks, does anyone have a 5th Gen with Boston Pro 6.5 separates installed up front? Specifically the tweeters, were they able to fit in the stock location in the A pillar without any mods? I had some installed yesterday and I picked it up and they were installed about an inch forward of the A pillar on the side view mirror casing and the guy told me they couldn't fit them inside the stock location without "modifying" it. Someone tell me if this should just be a drop in replacement please. I want to minimize as much as possible the pathlength differences and use stock, hidden locations for the speakers but these are just sitting out there for the world to see!
Also I seem to have much less bass output up front than the stock, cheap Clarion's gave me. I haven't checked my amp yet because it was late last night but I'm hoping it is just crossed over a bit too high. Any thoughts? I don't have a sub yet (money of course) but I never thought I'd lose this much bass with this good (supposedly) a speaker set. Somebody help me....
Old 01-03-2002, 08:53 AM

Re: 5th Gen car audio ? (kinda long)

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever
Hey folks, does anyone have a 5th Gen with Boston Pro 6.5 separates installed up front? Specifically the tweeters, were they able to fit in the stock location in the A pillar without any mods? I had some installed yesterday and I picked it up and they were installed about an inch forward of the A pillar on the side view mirror casing and the guy told me they couldn't fit them inside the stock location without "modifying" it. Someone tell me if this should just be a drop in replacement please. I want to minimize as much as possible the pathlength differences and use stock, hidden locations for the speakers but these are just sitting out there for the world to see!
Also I seem to have much less bass output up front than the stock, cheap Clarion's gave me. I haven't checked my amp yet because it was late last night but I'm hoping it is just crossed over a bit too high. Any thoughts? I don't have a sub yet (money of course) but I never thought I'd lose this much bass with this good (supposedly) a speaker set. Somebody help me....
As far as the tweet droping right into the stock a piller I don't know for sure that it will or woun't. Mine are moded simply to make it work right and look better. But I woun't be surprised if it woun't fit without extra work. i woun't be surprised if they din't do it cuz of cash. I don't understand why the tweets are any more visible now than when they are sitting in the window though? Your prob right they prob turned the x over up on the mids to keep you from abusing them. It's a common practice.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:30 AM

Re: Re: 5th Gen car audio ? (kinda long)

Originally posted by max'n out

As far as the tweet droping right into the stock a piller I don't know for sure that it will or woun't. Mine are moded simply to make it work right and look better. But I woun't be surprised if it woun't fit without extra work. i woun't be surprised if they din't do it cuz of cash. I don't understand why the tweets are any more visible now than when they are sitting in the window though? Your prob right they prob turned the x over up on the mids to keep you from abusing them. It's a common practice.
Thanks Jayson. I'm a bit peeved that they didn't even call to inquire if I wanted to do it. I spent over 2Gs on a previous vehicle with them and am well on my way to that with the Max so I'd think they know by now I'll pay a premium for what I want! They are visible because they are surface mounted now instead of flush mounted and hidden in the stock location. I'll dig into the amp and crossover deal when I get out of the office tonight. Thanks again for your thoughts!
Old 01-03-2002, 01:06 PM

Re: 5th Gen car audio ? (kinda long)

Most stock speakers sound like they have more bass than most aftermarket ones. That's because they're designed to be heard at low to moderate volume levels and their bass is exaggerated at certain freqs to impress the majority of casual listeners that will be happy with the stock system. Once you add aftermarket speakers they will not sound as "bass heavy", but this is normal because they are more natural and flat sounding. If you choose your sub wisely this will help bridge the gap and you will not miss the stock "bass" again. And yes, the xover freq may be too high. Once again, once you add your sub, this may not matter as much if everything is set up corretly. Another BIG thing you can do to add bass up front is to use some sound deadening material.

Try turning down the xover freq....the downside to this is that you won't be able to trun the volume up as much due to the added low freq to the woofer. Once you get the sub, you can fool around with the xover again to blend it.

Tony
Old 01-03-2002, 01:32 PM

Re: Re: 5th Gen car audio ? (kinda long)

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

Most stock speakers sound like they have more bass than most aftermarket ones. That's because they're designed to be heard at low to moderate volume levels and their bass is exaggerated at certain freqs to impress the majority of casual listeners that will be happy with the stock system. Once you add aftermarket speakers they will not sound as "bass heavy", but this is normal because they are more natural and flat sounding. If you choose your sub wisely this will help bridge the gap and you will not miss the stock "bass" again. And yes, the xover freq may be too high. Once again, once you add your sub, this may not matter as much if everything is set up corretly. Another BIG thing you can do to add bass up front is to use some sound deadening material.

Try turning down the xover freq....the downside to this is that you won't be able to trun the volume up as much due to the added low freq to the woofer. Once you get the sub, you can fool around with the xover again to blend it.

Thanks my friend, I believe you're right about the sonic qualities versus a stock speaker setup. Now I just need to figure out if I can get a solid 10" sub enclosed in the stock Bose subwoofer location. I haven't seen a stock Bose sub installed there but I'll check it out first and see if I can avoid a speaker cabinet on the trunk floor....Keep your fingers crossed!

Tony
Old 01-03-2002, 03:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: 5th Gen car audio ? (kinda long)

If you are successful at a 10" sub setup, let me know!! I am most likely going to try to mount a 10" sub in the spot where the 8" Bose sub is mounted. I don't want to lose any trunk space either, and I don't have the resources or stereo shop competent enough to custom make a fiberglass enclosure. I believe I can fit an MDF template over the stock hole once the Bose sub is removed that will be large enough to accomodate a 10" sub. I'll just mount the template to the underside of the rear deck, seal it off, and then dynamat the crap out of the deck. I have no idea how it will sound, but anything will be better than the Bose setup.

Tony