Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 03:26 AM
shgtm

Please help!

I have stock audio in my maxima which smucks, so I would like
to get some better system for my car.Can somebody tell me what
brands to look for when I am buying amp,speakers,tweeters and
subwoofer(I got head unit so I don't need one)?
What else do I need to make my system sound nice?
I would go up to $800-900 so if somebody could help me make right choice I would be grateful!

P.S
Is there any web page with info how to make custom sub box to fit
in my Maxima trunk(I've seen some pics with sub box that goes right
behind rear seat, and it doesn't take too much space)?

Thank you for your time and help!!!

Old 01-10-2002, 02:30 PM

System for you max ,very long sorry!

$800-$900 is a good sized budegt and you should be able to get a nice sounding system for that price. First a few questions for you, what type of head unit do you have and how many sets of pre outs does it have? If it has only one set you are more than likely going to need to purchase an out board crossover unit. This isn't a bad thing and should run around $100, MTX makes a fairly good one that you can pick up at any Circuit City. As far as speakers go, getting a set of componenets for the front will give you better sound but they are going to need a little more power than a regular pair of coaxes. I think you said you were going to get an amp so then your ok. Myself I'm kind of an Infinity/JBL fan but that's becuase I work for them, that and I have our stuff in my car and know how good it sounds. But go to a few stores and try out different speakers and buy the ones you like, since its your car and what everyone else is opinion is won't matter if your not happy with the sound. If you live near a Ciruit City or a Best Buy that's a good place to start, local dealers may have other brands but they can get expensive quickly. For a set of speakers in the front check out the Infinity 605cs components or if you want coaxes try the Infinity 652i, a cool thing about those is the tweeter pivots to give you better imaging even from the factory door location. Those are the reference level, sound good, great price point. I think the 605cs are $199 and the 652i are $99 for the pair(great speaker for the rear deck). You can also check out the JBL GTO625 which have a swivle and pivot tweeter for around $99 or the components GTO605c for around $200 I think. I would do components in the front and just coaxes in the rear for fill. Now as far as suboofers go same deal as the speakers, listen to different ones. Do you want a clean tight bass or a boomy bass. Cleaner tighter bass is typicaly achived with a sealed box, however that will require more power. A ported or bandpass box will need less power and boomier. As far as the box goes, you can make it any shape so long as the internal air space is to the spec of the woofer. Most high Q subs require about 1 cubic foot per woofer in a sealed box. You also need to figure out how much space you want to give up, your talking about a box, and amps that you need to mount. You can do one or two woofers, but I guessing from what you said before about the box one would be your choice? You could go with an all in one woofer with a built in amp like the Infinity Bass Link or the Bazooka tubes. My friend put a bass link in his truck and it sounds great, its not a kick in the $ss bass but it hits fairly well. A good sub can run from $100 to $1000 each so like I said before listen to them. Infinity makes a reference subwoofer the 1220w (12") about $129 at a CC. Takes 300 watts RMS and 1200 watts peak, or the JBL GT1241 with similar power handling. Both woofers come with instructions on what type of box and what type of out put you'll get from that box. A good amp for either one of those subs or for any sub is the JBL BP600.1. This a mono block amp, so its designed to drive just subs. It puts out 600 watts and its 1 ohm stable, new price should be around $300. Then for your front and rear speakers you can do an 80.4 (4 channel) sells for about $199 or do 2 2 channels depending upon the power requirements of your speakers, the 180.2 for $199 or the 80.2 for $99. Are you going to install this yourself? Don't forget the wire, a 4 gauge kit should be good, sells for about $75-100 and RCA cables. Sorry its so long, I tried to help you out the best I could, if you need anything else let me know. Check out sites for more information on product or find an authorized dealer. GOOD LUCK
www.infinitysytems.com
www.jbl.com
Old 01-11-2002, 03:46 AM
shgtm

Re: System for you max ,very long sorry!

I have JVC KD-SH99 which has 3x Pairs Line Out Terminals, Front, Rear, Adjustable Subwoofer.
I was thinking to take it somewhere to get it professionaly installed
but I was wondering how much it would approximately cost?
Thank you sooooo much for help and links!!!

P.S.
It wasn't long at all, if it was shorter it wouldn't really help me.
At least now I know where to start and what to look for.

P.S.S
I'm sorry if there are any mistakes, but English is my second language, so I'm doing my best.
Thank you again for everything!!!

Old 01-11-2002, 08:34 AM

Re: Re: System for you max ,very long sorry!

No problem, since your head unit has 3 sets of out put you don't need that crossover. As far as installation pricing goes that is based on the place, most places near me charge a flat $40 for a head unit, $40-80 for a pair/2 pairs of speakers and sub enclosure are considered custom so that will vary from car to car. Where do you live? I might be able to recomend a few shops. Good luck and let me know how you make out.
Old 01-12-2002, 02:50 AM
shgtm

Re: Re: Re: System for you max ,very long sorry!

I'm in Las Vegas, NV

Old 01-12-2002, 06:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: System for you max ,very long sorry!

Originally posted by shgtm
I'm in Las Vegas, NV
Let me do a little searching and I'll get back to you. Is there a Car Toys store our there? They are a great shop, they carry the stuff I told you about and are very friendly.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:30 AM
pjalst

Re: Re: System for you max ,very long sorry!

Originally posted by shgtm
I have JVC KD-SH99 which has 3x Pairs Line Out Terminals, Front, Rear, Adjustable Subwoofer.
I was thinking to take it somewhere to get it professionaly installed
but I was wondering how much it would approximately cost?
Thank you sooooo much for help and links!!!

I installed my head unit myself for the first time. It was fairly easy. What made it real easy was the wiring harness I ordered from www.crutchfield.com. I think the harness is a must for any first time installer, plus the harness makes it easy to reinstall your stock radio if you decide to sell you car. I used a guide from the install Doctor web site that shows you how to take out the old radio. You have a computer and you know how to read, then you can do it yourself.

Old 01-12-2002, 03:17 PM
shgtm

Re: Re: Re: System for you max ,very long sorry!

I have seen Car Toys somewhere around and I went to check it out, but on that place where I saw Car Toys sign is some other store called Carzmetic(I guess they have similar stuff).I didn't really have time to go in that one, but I will go there to see what they got.
There is also Audio Excellence,Audio Express,Western Sound and whole bunch of some other stores.
Thank you very very much for your help and time!!!

Old 01-12-2002, 04:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you want to get some good stuff cheap, look on ebay. Maxstilln said that the JBL 600.1 costs about 300 new. I got mine for 90 used but it was a store demo. Works perfect. For 800 bucks, on ebay, you could get some really good stuff. Good choice on the HU, my friend has one of those too.
Old 01-13-2002, 05:06 AM
pjalst

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
If you want to get some good stuff cheap, look on ebay. Maxstilln said that the JBL 600.1 costs about 300 new. I got mine for 90 used but it was a store demo. Works perfect. For 800 bucks, on ebay, you could get some really good stuff. Good choice on the HU, my friend has one of those too.

I agree, you can get some good deals on Ebay. I got a Fosgate amp, new still in the original box for about $125. Retail it goes for $299. Just be carful and review the feeback on some of the sellers, I've known some people who have gotten burnt by sellers. They could of avoided it if they read the reviews of te sellers in advance.

Old 01-13-2002, 10:08 AM

Ebay can be a great place to get stuff. One thing you need to check on is if the product has a USA warranty on it or not. Alot of times vendors will cross ship Euro products and sell them on Ebay and while your getting a great deal, if something should go wrong with the unit you might not have an type of warranty in the USA. I've had to tell a few people that before in ugly situations. While I'm all for saving a buck or 2 its more than worth it to buy the product from an authorized dealer, as some people on the BBS found out and thought they were screwed. Luckly I was I able to help him out. Just my thoughts....