Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

volume to low with after market headunit

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

volume to low with after market headunit

I just installed my subs, amp and panasonic avh2300dvd HU into my 04. I have the bose system so i used the special harness with the 4 rca's but my HU only had a r/l input so i used rca splitters to put both the rights in the right input and both the lefts in the left input. All the speakers work but im not happy with the how high the volume gets now. When its turned all the way up its not that loud and, not to nitpick, but i like my music loud. Is there anyway to fix this?? Im pretty sure the bose harness bypasses the factory amp so could that be the problem? In my last car i bareley ever put the volume past 16 but for the maxima i can put all the way up at 40 and its too quiet. i had all the same stuff installed but i dont think that one had a factory amp. Any help on this would be great!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:28 AM

i NEVER use that bose rca harness...in ANY 4th gen with bose. just a regular 70-7550 from metra.....
Old 12-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bose amps need at least a 4 volt pre input from your new head unit. Sense I am not familiar with panasonic I would not know if it was at least that.

Goomz, he will need the rca harness for use with the bose system otherwise you can easily damage either the head unit or bose amp.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:38 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic
Bose amps need at least a 4 volt pre input from your new head unit.
False.

Goomz, he will need the rca harness for use with the bose system otherwise you can easily damage either the head unit or bose amp.
Again, outright, False.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
False.

Again, outright, False.
Not false at all, I have seen it time and time again where if you go lover than 4 volt pre to a bose amp you will get a lot of interference as well as lower volumes.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...amp-right.html
Old 12-31-2012, 09:40 AM

Still completely False. Use the 7550 and all is fine. You DO know the difference between 'high level' and RCA out, don't you ?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Still completely False. Use the 7550 and all is fine. You DO know the difference between 'high level' and RCA out, don't you ?
No it is not false, I have seen it multiple times with the bose system and a new head unit.

Yes I know the difference and you NEED at least 4 volt pre outs LOW LEVEL going to your bose factory amp in order to match what the factory head unit provided and lower the chances of interference.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:06 PM

No it is not false, I have seen it multiple times with the bose system and a new head unit.

Yes I know the difference and you NEED at least 4 volt pre outs LOW LEVEL going to your bose factory amp in order to match what the factory head unit provided and lower the chances of interference.
Clearly you have no clue what the difference is. Here is a hint .. they are both the same, only variable is voltage.

Oddly I have (as well as many others than know what they're doing) successfully used the 'high level' output and with Zero ill effects. You must know something that none of us in the professional world don't ..
Old 01-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Clearly you have no clue what the difference is. Here is a hint .. they are both the same, only variable is voltage.

Oddly I have (as well as many others than know what they're doing) successfully used the 'high level' output and with Zero ill effects. You must know something that none of us in the professional world don't ..
If you want to send a high level output to a low level input of a bose amp be my guest, will it work? Yes, however your sending a amp way move than even 8 volts and could very well damage or clip the signal, where as the RIGHT way would be to use low level 4-8 volt outputs to the amp. But hey if you want to rig it than clearly I must want to do things the right way.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:51 PM

I am going to side with Pearl on this one. Not much in the way of ill affects can come from using the high level as I believe the amps it sees are still the same. Yes, supposed to be used in another way but then again we mod cars here lol.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:58 PM

If you want to send a high level output to a low level input of a bose amp be my guest, will it work? Yes, however your sending a amp way move than even 8 volts and could very well damage or clip the signal, where as the RIGHT way would be to use low level 4-8 volt outputs to the amp. But hey if you want to rig it than clearly I must want to do things the right way.
Rig it ? Seriously Matt, you REALLY need to learn how things work before you touch another mans car. ESPECIALLY when you are taking their money to do so !

Wanna show me, objectively, data to prove your claims here ? Please, I am all open to it. First learn the difference, or lack thereof, of the two 'methods' you are describing here THEN you can come back and try to debate. Currently and sadly, you are unarmed for this discussion as your theory lacks substance tremendously.

I know your grammar and spelling also lack, so if you need this explained to you, please let me know. I would be more than happy to do so.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rig it ? Seriously Matt, you REALLY need to learn how things work before you touch another mans car. ESPECIALLY when you are taking their money to do so !

Wanna show me, objectively, data to prove your claims here ? Please, I am all open to it. First learn the difference, or lack thereof, of the two 'methods' you are describing here THEN you can come back and try to debate. Currently and sadly, you are unarmed for this discussion as your theory lacks substance tremendously.

I know your grammar and spelling also lack, so if you need this explained to you, please let me know. I would be more than happy to do so.
I'd rather just let you do the wrong thing and let you do mine. If you could use high inputs into the factory bose system it would be an option when you look up harnesses for your system. High level inputs have already been amplified, than your going to send them to another amp to be amplified again? That is like using an AUX input. We all know your not getting the best quality audio signal doing that.

If this was the better way to get an audio signal to our amps wouldn't all audiophiles and high end installs use high level speaker outputs from the head unit and send it directly to the amps they were using? It simply doesn't make sense. High end iaudio systems look for higher Low level voltage for better signal to noise rations.

Last edited by bigaudiofanatic; 01-03-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 PM

I'd rather just let you do the wrong thing and let you do mine. If you could use high inputs into the factory bose system it would be an option when you look up harnesses for your system. High level inputs have already been amplified, than your going to send them to another amp to be amplified again? That is like using an AUX input. We all know your not getting the best quality audio signal doing that.

If this was the better way to get an audio signal to our amps wouldn't all audiophiles and high end installs use high level speaker outputs from the head unit and send it directly to the amps they were using? It simply doesn't make sense. High end iaudio systems look for higher Low level voltage for better signal to noise rations.

So decline to answer my questions ? Decline to provide some substance to your claims ? Yet you will still insist who is 'right' ? Funny .. no data, just YOUR word and what you THINK is correct. Oddly I get calls and emails to also Fix Your work .. ironic isn't it ?

So riddle me this .. aside from the words 'high' and 'low' level, Please explain the difference.

Or if you would rather throw some money in the pot and bring a deck of your choice I will gladly Show you and Prove your logic is severely flawed. See, much unlike yourself, real installers and shops have these silly little tools like meters, scopes and RTAs.

Some people actually listen and learn others fill the internet with utter crap. Unfortunately thus far you are the latter of the two.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So decline to answer my questions ? Decline to provide some substance to your claims ? Yet you will still insist who is 'right' ? Funny .. no data, just YOUR word and what you THINK is correct. Oddly I get calls and emails to also Fix Your work .. ironic isn't it ?

So riddle me this .. aside from the words 'high' and 'low' level, Please explain the difference.

Or if you would rather throw some money in the pot and bring a deck of your choice I will gladly Show you and Prove your logic is severely flawed. See, much unlike yourself, real installers and shops have these silly little tools like meters, scopes and RTAs.

Some people actually listen and learn others fill the internet with utter crap. Unfortunately thus far you are the latter of the two.
You obviously do not want to read to much into my reply to see that there is a answer to your question. Allow me to send a link to you. If you need more let me know.

http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com...el-inputs.html

Low-Level (Line Level) Inputs:
Line level inputs, also known as RCA inputs or low-level inputs, use RCA interconnect cables to link the amplifier with the source unit. Most aftermarket radios have multiple pairs of RCA outputs that can connect to multiple amplifiers. Factory radios, even those with stock amplifiers, often do not have low-level inputs so these are used mostly with aftermarket setups.

Is there a difference in sound quality between the two input methods? Factory stereo systems connected with high-level inputs will not sound as good as low-level inputs. If your using an aftermarket stereo, there won’t be much of a difference between high-level or low-level inputs on basic systems. If you're going higher end use low-level inputs. Often times high-level inputs are connected incorrectly and as a result there is signal degradation. Because high-level inputs require that you splice into your vehicle wiring, some users forgo that option and prefer to run the RCA cables instead. These input methods give great flexibility when installing into vehicles regardless of their system type.

Your comparing a balanced signal to a unbalanced signal if you want another clear answer. A high level (higher voltage) input is going to give you an unbalance input where as RCA's (low level) input will give you a balanced un-clipped signal that a amp is expecting.

Last edited by bigaudiofanatic; 01-06-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 AM

Really ??? 3 days it took you and this is the best .. Bullsh!t you can provide ? No wonder why I keep getting inquires to fix your work.

No Real data to back your claims .. so stop posting. You won't find any because there isn't any. Period. Learn before you spread false claims.

Ohh RCAs are balanced and un-clipped ? Holy fack, please, just stop now.

And for the love of God will you Please stop using crap, untreated plywood for speaking rings.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Really ??? 3 days it took you and this is the best .. Bullsh!t you can provide ? No wonder why I keep getting inquires to fix your work.

No Real data to back your claims .. so stop posting. You won't find any because there isn't any. Period. Learn before you spread false claims.

Ohh RCAs are balanced and un-clipped ? Holy fack, please, just stop now.

And for the love of God will you Please stop using crap, untreated plywood for speaking rings.
I highly doubt you have gotten any calls to (fix) any of my work. No false claims here just facts that I know are correct. The facts I provided should be clear enough for even you to understand. RCA's can become clipped however it takes a lot more to clip them as apposed to a amplified signal coming from a crappy internal amp of a head unit. If you want to use well over 8 volts of current going into a input of an amp that was made to handle up to 8 volts go right ahead. I like to fallow guide lines. You might not even be able to counter high high the input is when you tune your gain using 22 watts as an input. Besides why would you want a head unit to amplify the signal when it would send a clean flat signal through the pre outs. You simply do not make sense.

Last edited by bigaudiofanatic; 01-07-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is exactly what my problem was: http://my6thgen.org/f270/metra-after...harness-14915/ I ended up trying to use the 7550 and it fixed the sound issue but theres a hum coming from the speakers, even when muted. Doesnt matter which source, it wont go away. Its the same HU (i meant pioneer in my description, not panasonic) and I grounded everything as instructed. Also im not sure how to correctly connect the amp turn on. Theres one from the headunit, the metra harness and of course the one from the amp. Are all 3 supposed to be connected and does the power antenna come in to play or is it just not used? Kinda the same thing here: http://my6thgen.org/f270/sony-stereo...question-8928/
Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 AM

I have a 5.5 gen so I can only assume the 6th gen is similar. I agree with bigaudiofanatic on this one. The 7551 Amplifier Integration Harness uses the factory Bose amplifier. As with most amps, the Bose amp is designed for low level input. Pushing line levels to it is begging for problems (like the noise you are getting). You have two options...

1. Return the HU you bought (it only has 2V Pre Outs) and buy a HU with 4V (or higher) Pre Outs.

2. Bypass the amp altogether. This will require you using the amp in your HU (the speaker outputs from the 7550) and running new wire to the speakers.

*I have the Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH (4V Pre Outs) wired with the Metra 7551 harness and I have no problems with low volume or distortion.

Last edited by rebelhell; 01-15-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 AM

If you plan on bypassing the Bose amp it might be easier to run all your speaker wire to the rear deck, cut the outputs off the Bose amp and tie into them there rather than fish all of your doors. Here's the wiring diagram...

Old 01-15-2013, 12:41 AM

Forgot one thing... This will make it difficult to wire your subwoofer. It has it's own amp and receives low level output from the main amp. Good Luck.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 AM

Option 3? I don't know how well they work as I've never tried them but you could get a line output converter.
http://www.metraonline.com/part/AX-ADCT4
It will convert the speaker level outputs to low level (RCA) outputs. Don't know if it will have enough @ss to push the BOSE amp though. Might be worth a try.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:24 AM

I highly doubt you have gotten any calls to (fix) any of my work. No false claims here just facts that I know are correct. The facts I provided should be clear enough for even you to understand. RCA's can become clipped however it takes a lot more to clip them as apposed to a amplified signal coming from a crappy internal amp of a head unit. If you want to use well over 8 volts of current going into a input of an amp that was made to handle up to 8 volts go right ahead. I like to fallow guide lines. You might not even be able to counter high high the input is when you tune your gain using 22 watts as an input. Besides why would you want a head unit to amplify the signal when it would send a clean flat signal through the pre outs. You simply do not make sense.
You can doubt away, but all means, please feel free to do so. But, if you'd like I publicly provide pic and testimonial to the contrary. How else would I have known about your beaver cut plywood rings ?

You provided facts ? Aside from your own mind, where ??

You Really wanna go down this road comparing who knows what ? Quite distasteful, but I am all for a 'challenge'.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by rebelhell
I have a 5.5 gen so I can only assume the 6th gen is similar. I agree with bigaudiofanatic on this one. The 7551 Amplifier Integration Harness uses the factory Bose amplifier. As with most amps, the Bose amp is designed for low level input. Pushing line levels to it is begging for problems (like the noise you are getting). You have two options...

1. Return the HU you bought (it only has 2V Pre Outs) and buy a HU with 4V (or higher) Pre Outs.

2. Bypass the amp altogether. This will require you using the amp in your HU (the speaker outputs from the 7550) and running new wire to the speakers.

*I have the Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH (4V Pre Outs) wired with the Metra 7551 harness and I have no problems with low volume or distortion.
Are you sure its not just a ground loop?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by icemanmac2
Are you sure its not just a ground loop?
Nope, could be that. Is the buzz only in your FM reception? If so a ground loop isolator might fix your problem. Give it a try.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nope, could be that. Is the buzz only in your FM reception? If so a ground loop isolator might fix your problem. Give it a try.
No its coming from all sources, ipod, aux, av, even when muted and nothings plugged in. Also i hooked my subs up again and theyre not working. The amp turns on but nothing happens.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2. Bypass the amp altogether. This will require you using the amp in your HU (the speaker outputs from the 7550) and running new wire to the speakers
Sorry if i seem kinda slow but im relatively new at this. Is it possible to just disconnect the bose amp and short the audio inputs to the speaker outputs with wire taps? I would just have to match them up with a diagram which ive already found. Or maybe im just a newb talking outta my ***

If thats a no-no are you saying i could connect a line output converter to the HU's harness and connect the rca's to the 7551 harness? if so, that sounds good to me but id like to try my first method before i spend any more money. Unless you see something wrong with that....again, im a newbie
Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by icemanmac2
Sorry if i seem kinda slow but im relatively new at this. Is it possible to just disconnect the bose amp and short the audio inputs to the speaker outputs with wire taps? I would just have to match them up with a diagram which ive already found. Or maybe im just a newb talking outta my ***

If thats a no-no are you saying i could connect a line output converter to the HU's harness and connect the rca's to the 7551 harness? if so, that sounds good to me but id like to try my first method before i spend any more money. Unless you see something wrong with that....again, im a newbie
Let me look over some wiring diagrams and get back to you.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dont bother i figured it out! I was checkin out line output converters (thanks to you, rebel) and i stumbled upon this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CE9OY2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CE9OY2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
I did some more research and couldnt find anything but praise for it. Turns out its pretty much made for my exact situation (aftermarket HU with inadequate pre outs, and factory amp). It connects directly to the HU harness, converts the signal and, as if it wasnt already convenient enough, the other end plugs right in to the factory harness. When it comes, next week, ill try to remember to post the results for future reference. Thanks guys, couldnt have done it without you!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 PM

Awesome, I didn't even know that existed. Let me know how it works out.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dont worry i will im excited to find out if ive finaly fixed this
Old 01-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So i got the PAC in the mail today and its all installed. Didnt take long at all, like i said, its very straight forward. Just hook the wires up to the HU and plug it in to the factory harness. I gotta say, it sounds great. Definitely better than its ever sounded before!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 PM

I just received this harness yesterday as well.

Did you wire the high and low pass + to the + together? That's the only thing that's confusing me with the harness.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaxDoogie
I just received this harness yesterday as well.

Did you wire the high and low pass + to the + together? That's the only thing that's confusing me with the harness.
No those are for line level outputs like what comes out of
The rca's. Dont connect the 4 wires with the black stripes just tape them up.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 PM

Hey Matt, any update on that 'proof' ?
Old 02-08-2013, 05:46 AM

[/QUOTE]Goomz, he will need the rca harness for use with the bose system otherwise you can easily damage either the head unit or bose amp.[/QUOTE]

what in the hell are you talking about? how would that damage the head unit?