Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Question about annoying remote wires not working with after market head units.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:41 PM

Question about annoying remote wires not working with after market head units.

whats up audio section of the org. ive got a question since im not an electronics expert, thats been bothering me. in my car when i installed my doubledin, my remote wire to my system no longer gave power to my amp. so i had to install it directly to the battery with a switch.

also, i just installed a head unit and system into my boys chevy aveo, and his car had the same problem! the subs and headunit worked in his old car, a mitsu mirage. but now, no matter that the remote wire is hooked up correctly through the headunit, it does not provide power to the amp. but hooking it directly up to the battery solves the problem.

what the hell is the deal with this? why does the remote wire not work with certain head units and certain cars? requiring you to hook it directly up to the positive battery terminal with a toggle switch? pisses me off.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
whats up audio section of the org. ive got a question since im not an electronics expert, thats been bothering me. in my car when i installed my doubledin, my remote wire to my system no longer gave power to my amp. so i had to install it directly to the battery with a switch.

also, i just installed a head unit and system into my boys chevy aveo, and his car had the same problem! the subs and headunit worked in his old car, a mitsu mirage. but now, no matter that the remote wire is hooked up correctly through the headunit, it does not provide power to the amp. but hooking it directly up to the battery solves the problem.

what the hell is the deal with this? why does the remote wire not work with certain head units and certain cars? requiring you to hook it directly up to the positive battery terminal with a toggle switch? pisses me off.
Hello there, it sounds like your switched wire in your factory harness could be getting grounded out somewhere, or that you have a blown fuse somewhere. Check the voltage with a voltmeter, also check all your fuses while you are at it. I have a feeling something could also not be hooked up right.

As for your turn on wire needing a switch, you do not need to do that. If your head unit has a REM output use that. Or setup a simple relay that piggybacks off a switched power outlet in the car and run them that way. Much cleaner and safer.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:11 PM

im not saying they need a switch.

im saying sometimes a remote wire wont power an amp even though everything is hooked up correctly, unless i run it straight to the battery, in which case a switch is installed. remote wires that worked perfectly fine with an older head unit. but once its switched it no longer works that way and has to be run straight to the battery. doesnt make sense to me but ive come across other people whove had the same problem.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic
Hello there, it sounds like your switched wire in your factory harness could be getting grounded out somewhere, or that you have a blown fuse somewhere. Check the voltage with a voltmeter, also check all your fuses while you are at it. I have a feeling something could also not be hooked up right.

As for your turn on wire needing a switch, you do not need to do that. If your head unit has a REM output use that. Or setup a simple relay that piggybacks off a switched power outlet in the car and run them that way. Much cleaner and safer.
Matt, what in the world does his issue have to do with ignition power ?? Or a blown fuse ?? If he needs a meter Anywhere it would be at the deck on the correct remote Out. The car is not the issue here as it is either the deck or more likely install related.

Surely you're not here to peddle services too ..
Old 12-31-2012, 01:35 AM

im not saying they need a switch.

im saying sometimes a remote wire wont power an amp even though everything is hooked up correctly, unless i run it straight to the battery, in which case a switch is installed. remote wires that worked perfectly fine with an older head unit. but once its switched it no longer works that way and has to be run straight to the battery. doesnt make sense to me but ive come across other people whove had the same problem.
More details .. what deck ? What Exact wire are you trying to use ? I have Never come across such a problem with a defect in either the product or wiring.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
More details .. what deck ? What Exact wire are you trying to use ? I have Never come across such a problem with a defect in either the product or wiring.
it seems more to be a stock wiring issue. my old flip out screen worked with my system. i just used my integration kit and wired it up and it worked fine. but when i bout my kenwood doubedin, no matter how i wired it the amp wouldnt turn on with the car. had to wire it straight through.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:42 AM

The remote wire and amplifier are both aftermarket, no ? How would you conclude this to be OE wiring ?

Also .. need more details as requested above.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 PM

The remote wire and amplifier are both aftermarket, no ? How would you conclude this to be OE wiring ?

Also .. need more details as requested above.
i dont conclude anything, hence why im asking for answers. i guess it could actually a be headunit problem with mine. but i dont have any other problems with it? headunit, remote wire, amplifier all aftermarket. hooked remote wire up to the wire on the integrator that is supposed to power an aftermarket amp; system does not turn on with car, or at all. then, hook the wire up to any other of the wires that are not used in the integrator, just to try and figure this out, still nothing. hook the remote wire straight up to the battery, everything works perfectly. ive had my system running like this for a year now.

also, im using a tsunami 0G wiring kit and am running about 500 rms. my boy is using a cheap 8G wiring kit, for a small enclosure im not sure of the specs on.

just recently put my boys headunit, amp, and system into his new car, a chevy aveo. the only thing new was the amp, the rest was installed and working, by me, in his old mitsu mirage. no in the chevy aveo, he encounters the same problem as me. when all wired up, the system will not turn on with the car. try every wire combination possible, and nothing. hook it up to the battery, and everythings perfect. so its not the grounds, all the fuses are good and have been checked. just cant figure out what the deal is.

Last edited by GGENIUS; 12-31-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:11 PM

also ive installed dozens of systems before, and never had this problem happen. only recently with the two mentioned cars. but ive asked people and they said theyve had the same thing happen, and just did what i did and ran it straight through with a toggle switch.

its not that its a big deal to leave it this way. i just want to know WHY
Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 PM

But again .. What deck and Exactly what wire is being used ?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 PM

its a kenwood DDX419, and i used a scosche integration kit, in which i hooked my remote wire up to the blue constant 12v wire. i also tried it on the antennae power wire which is also blue. i dont remember the model of my friends headunit.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM

Not sure which Scosche unit you used, but it is not, at all, needed. Blue is not a constant 12V, it is the antenna power lead. Blue/White is your amp turn on. Blue/Yellow is for Steering controls.

Are Any of the Blue wires going into/through the Scosche piece ? If so, why ? Run the Blue/White directly to your amp. Check with a meter prior to confirm output.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Not sure which Scosche unit you used, but it is not, at all, needed. Blue is not a constant 12V, it is the antenna power lead. Blue/White is your amp turn on. Blue/Yellow is for Steering controls.

Are Any of the Blue wires going into/through the Scosche piece ? If so, why ? Run the Blue/White directly to your amp. Check with a meter prior to confirm output.

Yep, this stuff ^.

BTW, Happy Belated BDAY sir.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

As I mentioned, I would check your fuses if you haven't.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14
Yep, this stuff ^.

BTW, Happy Belated BDAY sir.
Thanks bud ! None of that sir ****, makes me feel old !

Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic
As I mentioned, I would check your fuses if you haven't.
Really ? Yea, you mentioned that, then got followed by questions to your motive for such a thing ..

Matt, what in the world does his issue have to do with ignition power ?? Or a blown fuse ?? If he needs a meter Anywhere it would be at the deck on the correct remote Out. The car is not the issue here as it is either the deck or more likely install related.
Care to enlighten ?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM

yes, it blue white. mine was wired a year ago. it was the wire that said 12 volt amp turn on", and it had the white stripe on it. sorry im not good at remembering specific wires from a year ago i just said blue because it is mostly blue. why not scosche integrator? im just going by what crutch field said and sent me, specific to my car and the headunit, which was using the integrator that came with it. i did the same with my boys, ran it to the blue/white stripe that said "amp turn on" on it. but neither work unless i just run the remote straight to the battery.

but like i said before, after the blue/white stripe wire did nothing, i tried hooking the remote up to the remaining solid blue wire, which of course did nothing and was just a test.

what fuses could have blown that i have to check? the fuses on the headunut/amp are all in perfect working order. why would it work directly to the battery but not with any combination to the headunit?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 AM

as ive said ive installed numerous headunits and systems using this way, and it always had worked. so i dont know whats causing this problem.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 AM

yes, it blue white. mine was wired a year ago. it was the wire that said 12 volt amp turn on", and it had the white stripe on it. sorry im not good at remembering specific wires from a year ago i just said blue because it is mostly blue. why not scosche integrator? im just going by what crutch field said and sent me, specific to my car and the headunit, which was using the integrator that came with it. i did the same with my boys, ran it to the blue/white stripe that said "amp turn on" on it. but neither work unless i just run the remote straight to the battery.

but like i said before, after the blue/white stripe wire did nothing, i tried hooking the remote up to the remaining solid blue wire, which of course did nothing and was just a test.

what fuses could have blown that i have to check? the fuses on the headunut/amp are all in perfect working order. why would it work directly to the battery but not with any combination to the headunit?

Naturally Crutchfield or any other retailer with a potential profit to make would say you need something.

So is your current Blue/White going into the Scosche piece first, then from it to the amp ?If so, pull it and go Blue/White directly to the amp.

I never suggesting fusing, nor would I. Works directly from the battery because the battery is supplying 12V. Apparently whatever way it is wired - via the Scosche piece or anything else, the Blue/White is not supplying 12V.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 AM

Naturally Crutchfield or any other retailer with a potential profit to make would say you need something.

So is your current Blue/White going into the Scosche piece first, then from it to the amp ?If so, pull it and go Blue/White directly to the amp.

I never suggesting fusing, nor would I. Works directly from the battery because the battery is supplying 12V. Apparently whatever way it is wired - via the Scosche piece or anything else, the Blue/White is not supplying 12V.
ok, but to your first comment, everything that came with it to install was free to me. so they didnt make an additional profit. and no, the remote wire is hooked directly up to the white/blue wire. the rest is hooked up through the scosche.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 AM

ok, but to your first comment, everything that came with it to install was free to me. so they didnt make an additional profit. and no, the remote wire is hooked directly up to the white/blue wire. the rest is hooked up through the scosche.
But it is a product that is available for purchase separate. If they said " it is only needed when it is not free' then it would be pretty silly, no ?

Then check the output of the Blue/White with a meter. If it is not working, then there is something wrong with it.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Really ? Yea, you mentioned that, then got followed by questions to your motive for such a thing ..

Care to enlighten ?

If he or the installer did not disconnect the harness from the factory harness before cutting the wires of the old head unit off, it could very easily of caused a short by cutting the ground and any of the power wires at the same time. Even could cause back feed into the other wires.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:11 PM

Sure, let's go with that theory ... then the fuse would be blown resulting in power to the deck. The flaw with your theory .. the deck HAS POWER, it is not turning on the amp. Do you even bother to read prior to replying ? You replied here 3 times, all with the same useless 'fuse' issue. Why ?