Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Passenger side HID headlight

Old 02-25-2014, 08:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Passenger side HID headlight

Here it goes...

My passenger side headlight is out. I replaced them with brand new bulbs (OEM) but the passenger side is still not working. I know it's not the bulbs because i've tested them on the driver side and they work just fine. There's a whole bunch of answers online and I know the obvious answer could be your ballast but I wan't to know if it could be anything else causing this problem. a fuse, a wire, or anything that I can check before having to buy a brand new headlight...
Old 03-08-2014, 09:38 PM

Don't know if you are still around but I just dealt with an issue like this only my driver side was out.

1) Check all fuses. There are several headlight fuses in the car in several locations. The fuse panel on the passenger side engine compartment, the fuse panel on the driver side engine compartment, and I believe the fuse panel under your dash as well.

2) Test the non-working bulb in the working headlight to verify it is in fact good.

3) Test the non-working headlamp assembly in the known working headlamps place, i.e., if your passenger is not working, hook it up on the driver side. If it works, you know the problem is in the plug, wiring, fuses, headlight switch, etc and that the headlamp assembly is fine. If it doesn't work, the problem is obviously with the headlamp assembly

4) Test the known working headlamp assembly in the non-working side. If it works, your ballast is probably bad. If not, well, your back to the plug, wiring, fuses, or switch.

5) Inspect your plug really good. Ensure it is plugging in all the way and look for any obvious signs damage. Make sure it is clean and dry. I shook mine out real good and blew it out, this is what fixed mine I believe. You could also spray it really good with some contact cleaner.

6) If by now you still haven't found the problem, it could be your headlight switch, but I don't know a whole lot about that cause I didn't have to fool with mine.

There may be other ways and techniques to trouble shoot HID headlamp problems, but this worked for me and when I was done my headlight worked and in the end that's what matters.

Hope this helps you or someone else.