Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Which Terminal is the Positive???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 02:28 AM

Which Terminal is the Positive???

heres a stock panasonic non-bose 6 3/4 speaker. which terminal is the positive? top or bottom terminal?

I looked at the wires and they are all multi-colored like pink, green and all that so that didnt help either. I dont have a multi meter so I cant check for myself. I just need to know which one is the positive terminal and which wires are the positive if they are coded by color. If not, then how do I check for the + wire? thanks
Old 01-21-2002, 04:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Go ahead and wire it up. Then play some music while watching the speaker. If the cone moves outward when the bass hits, then it's wired correctly. If the cone moves inward when the bass hits, then it's out of phase, and you need to reverse the wiring.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:10 AM

um

it's the one that hurts more when you put your tongue on it

Old 01-21-2002, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
Go ahead and wire it up. Then play some music while watching the speaker. If the cone moves outward when the bass hits, then it's wired correctly. If the cone moves inward when the bass hits, then it's out of phase, and you need to reverse the wiring.
And we have a WINNER! Very good tip Micah.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:33 AM

...If the cone moves outward when the bass hits, then it's wired correctly. If the cone moves inward when the bass hits, then it's out of phase...
Is it? I think as long as all speakers are wired the same so that they all move in the same direction at the same moment, there should be no phase cancellation. It doesn't matter weather the first move is outwards or inward, sound is a continuous wave that make speaker cone vibrate. Some audio expert check if I'm wrong, please.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by jiaxima96

Is it? I think as long as all speakers are wired the same so that they all move in the same direction at the same moment, there should be no phase cancellation. It doesn't matter weather the first move is outwards or inward, sound is a continuous wave that make speaker cone vibrate. Some audio expert check if I'm wrong, please.

If you wired all of the speakers backwards, then they would be playing into the doors and trunk, not into the interior where they should be compressing the air.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:53 PM

If you wired all of the speakers backwards, then they would be playing into the doors and trunk, not into the interior where they should be compressing the air.
It is true only the sound is a one pulse type. Normally that's not the case, but a contunuous wave. Don't be confused by something that sounds like "Bong" and that's it. Yes it sounds just one time event, but what's the frequency of that "Bong"? Maybe at least some 30 or 40 Hz? Then the speaker cone should vibrate many times, compressing and de-compressing...
If speakers are wired some forwards other backwoards then there IS phase cancellation: One pushes air out and the other just take that amount air in to fill its vacuum...
Old 01-22-2002, 09:13 PM
jmax

If you wired all the speakers out of phase, they would not be firing into the doors any more than if they are connected in phase.

Get a AA battery. Connect positive to one terminal, negative to the other. Cone should move in or out and hold that position. If it moves up, then you have connected positive to positive, negative to negative. Otherwise it's the other way around.