Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

2014 Base stereo questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2014 Base stereo questions

Hi all,

I've been searching these forums for any and all audio information on the 7th gen maxima. I recently bought a 2014 S model with the base stereo. I am pretty unhappy with the sound and want to improve it.

I was thinking of going to a Pioneer 4100NEX, molding up a new center dash, moving the HU up in place of the useless monochrome display, breaking out the temp controls (and temp display strip) and moving that down. I can do this sort of work pretty easily, however, I realized this thing has 8 speakers, two of which are 2ohm running from a second amp. Basically this would be a never-ending project, I'd end up getting a bunch of speakers and amps, etc. I don't want to go down that path.

I'm now thinking of a cheap and easy way to fix my biggest gripes: lack of low-end and the bright cheap overdriven high-end.

1) Bass is easy: add a Basslink...
2) dash tweeters - without looking I believe they are 4ohm 3.5" speakers. Is that correct? Has anyone replaced the dash tweeters on a base 7th gen Maxima? All the info I find is for people modding the Bose systems. If anyone can point me to a speaker that will easily fit I would appreciate that very much. Don't want to open them prior to replacing. Also, are they standard speaker connectors (two-wire) or should I use an adapter?

Question three: The rear 6x9s are 2ohm, anybody wire up the Tang Band 6x9 subs instead? They are 8ohm so I can wire in parallel and run using the existing amp in mono right? At least in theory... I doubt this would sound as good as the basslink however, but would be a cleaner install.

Thanks very much for any info you guys share.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

meow

Just figured I'd post an update in hopes of getting some feedback, maybe someone knows amps? I'm not sharp on electrical. Just thinking things out loud.

These speakers are highly rated and cheap so I purchased: http://www.parts-express.com/tang-ba...oofer--264-837

Also about the only ones available that match the need. Speakers are 8ohm, stock speakers say 2ohm 25W.

The rear amp appears to be a true stereo. I haven't measured anything yet, but I assume bridgeable, just gotta align the phases.

So I figure bridge the amp, run the run the speakers in parallel for mono @ 4ohm... Speakers can definitely handle whatever this amp gives... Anybody find any fault with this? The stockers don't resonate well @ low freq but seem to get loud (cheap **** tbh, overall not impressed with car interior assembly quality, rattles galore, new car too, old kia optima sx was way more solid ). This may be a sweet mod for any base 7th gen audio system! Will post results, hopefully they fit easy...
Old 07-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was actually looking into those. Might still give them a shot, as I may get rid of my sub box in the trunk to gain more trunk space. I believe they would be a suitable replacement. I had planned on just using my current amp & being very conservative with the gain. I still have a Boston Acoustics G510RS...enclosure with a G5 10" sub with a passive radiator in a 0.5 cubic foot box. If that little box still gets in the way, I will definately give these a shot. If they don't provide enough bass, then I'll just go the infinite baffle route with bigger subs. I think you might get better results with adding an inexpensive aftermarket amp bridged for a 4ohm load with these drivers.