Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Custom Subwoofer Enclosures.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 03:26 PM
FJC

Custom Subwoofer Enclosures.......

What do you have and are the enclosures up to the Sub Specs as far as Cubic Feet, etc....

If ported, are the ports fed up through the rear deck?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to get some ideas to design an enclosure for my Rockford 12" Power DVC's. I did one for my 79 malibu w/ 2 Punch DVC's and it has a nice low bass rollover.

Does someone have the exact inside measurements from the rear deck to the trunk floor & side to side? I need to calculate internal volume (cubic feet) needed for the DVC's.

I don't have the Max yet, but I do have Rims & Tires....

Thanks....
Old 02-14-2002, 05:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a JL 10" in a .666 Cubic Foot Sealed Enclosure, and a 12" in a 1.22 Cubic Foot Sealed Enclosure.

It thumps really well.

But Sealed vs Ported should be a matter of music.

If you listen to Rock or Trance, get a sealed enclosure...more kick, more range and definition.

If you listen to Rap or Bass Tracks (DJ Magic Mike, for ex), get a ported box...more "boom", but less defined, which is good for the "rolling" bass Rap/Bass Tracks tend to put out.

As you can tell, I listen to alot of Trance, thus the sealed enclosure.

IanS
Old 02-14-2002, 07:53 PM

I was wanting to do the same thing. Put my 12 in a totally enclosed box and the only port hole would go up through my rear deck. Maybe that would eliminate any trunk rattling and all the bass would end up in the cabin. My friend had that before and got a black speaker cover and put it over the hole in the rear deck and it looked like an extra speaker. looked good.
Old 02-14-2002, 08:35 PM
jmax

It's roughly 17 inches from the bottom of the deck frame to the floor. The frame is between two and three inches thick. I need to remeasure this this weekend to build a test frame. To test the SQ in the house and tweek the actual box volume before inserting in the trunk. Between the shock towers it is roughly 32 or 34 inches in the 4th gen. But the rest of the trunk is different. The underside of the deck lid is 38 inches across under the window and 40.5 inches across behind the seat. From the back of hte seat to the back of the window is roughly 20 inches or just less, on the left and right side. In the center the distance is 22.25 inches.

Old 02-14-2002, 08:46 PM

I think it'd be cool to

build a custom enclosure that will fit in your spare tire. Flip the spare tire around and cut down the screw mount that holds the spare down. I'm think the space in the spare to the surface of the trunk mat should be 1 cubic foot. Then, if you want to get really tricky, you can fiberglass the top and install little neon or non-nean lights around the woofer or fiberglass. If you want to, wire the lights to the sub amp and the lights will dim on and off when the sub hits. I'm going to try this one day when I'm bored...and if they requires me to buy a full sized spare, so be it.