Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 10:57 PM

Help needed!!!

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum. I am going to pick up a maxima SE next week. I was planning on installing a single DIN cd receiver on to the maxima, but it seems to me that the maxima has double DIN system. Has anyone done these types of conversions? How do they come out? If possible, can some one please provide a picture of their convered system? Please help me out here!!! And thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:20 AM
Schmoo

Well, assuming that the radio mounts the same way as in older Maximas, then you can probably get from the dealer a parcel tray or cup holder to fit in the other half of the double-DIN space.

Old 02-18-2002, 12:41 AM

Thanks for the advice. But as I recall, I will need a "installation kit" to convert the double din space into the single din spacing. I believe that it is not as simple as taking the double din unit out and inserting the single din unit. My friend told me that they usually don't work out very well. Just wondering where can I get a quality installation kit?
Old 02-18-2002, 06:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You can get installation kits at any car audio retailer. The kit comes with a trim ring that fills in the empty space. I have a signal processor underneath my HU. That's one of the things that attracted me to the Maxima- it has 3 DIN spaces, which is great for A/V systems.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:07 PM

Thanks agains for the suggestion. So the Maxima actaully has a 3 din unit? Wow..didn't realize that. Anyways, I've seen some installations kits online. But I am not sure if I should get it from online stores or not. (less than 10 dollars?! kind of scary) Is it possible that you can please show me a picture of your mod? Thanks millions!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 12:49 PM
STFU n00b!

close, but not right..

Micah said they have 3 DIN spaces, but they're not all one big hole. the opening where the stereo is is a double-DIN opening, then the A/C controls fit in another single-DIN opening. (the 4th gens are different too, so they're even weirder than my car, but I know for a fact they don't have a 3-DIN opening for the head unit).

the dash kits are pretty much the same brand, no matter where you buy them.
Scosche, Metra, and a couple others.. they run about $10+ shipping online, or $12-19 from your local car stereo shop. might as well buy one locally and save yourself the hassle of purchasing online.

as for looks, I dunno. I just made some new metal HU mounting brackets and stuck the head unit right in the middle of the double-DIN space, then put a piece of black plexiglass inside the rest of the opening. I had some good pics somewhere, but I can't find them anymore.
here's the only pic I've got of it.
http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...ear_window.jpg

I'll have more in a couple weeks, when I get around to installing the rest of the system in my current Max. (that pic was in the car I wrecked last year)
Old 02-18-2002, 01:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Matt93SE
close, but not right..

Micah said they have 3 DIN spaces, but they're not all one big hole. the opening where the stereo is is a double-DIN opening, then the A/C controls fit in another single-DIN opening. (the 4th gens are different too, so they're even weirder than my car, but I know for a fact they don't have a 3-DIN opening for the head unit).
4th gens had another DIN opening just below a little bar that separates the double-din slot, in the bottom one, there is a fold down pocket normally

depending on the year maxima you're looking at, you can just replace the extra din space with stock pieces - cupholder, tray, pocket, whatever it was for that particular year
Old 02-18-2002, 09:25 PM

Thanks for all the great replies guys!!!
I think i am going to get the panasonic cd receiver (not sure if 602, 701, or 801 yet, suggestions are welcome) I will try to install the single din unit after i get my car next week. Just wondering, has anyone done this on the 2k2 maxima yet?