Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

My turn for Fine Tuning..... Pleasssse!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 12:54 AM

My turn for Fine Tuning..... Pleasssse!!!

Hey guys,

I finally got everything installed in my new system. I have been reading posts about fine tuning the amps and stuff, but wanted to ask specifics. I am using Boston Acoustics 6 1/2 components in the fronts, and Boston Acoustics 6 1/2 coaxials in the rear doors of my 2K1 Max. I have an Alpine MRV-F407 (40X4) amp pushing them. Questions: Does anyone have any experience with this amp, and if so any suggestions on settings?

Ch 1&2 are front,,,,Ch 3&4 are rears. Do I put the HP on/off for each of them? ON the X-over adjustments,,,,there are LP and HP screws,,,,do I adjust them all, or just what I am using them for,,,I mean these are my mids and highs,,,,do I need a LP adjustment??

I know this is elementary to some of you guys out there, but I don't have much experience with 4 channel amps....Please give me some help,,,,,Thanks,,,,D-MAN

PS--- (I know,,,,)I am using a pass through pre-amp out on the Alpine to go to my Punch 75 on 1-JL Audio 10W3. I don't have the bass I did before when it was run from a high/low converter off the HU. I have 2 converters on the HU now for the front/rear inputs to the Alpine, so should I maybe put Y-adapter on the rears and run a RCA to the punch straight from the HU instead of the pre-out on the Alpine?? Or is there a difference?? Thanks...
Old 02-20-2002, 10:18 PM

Re: My turn for Fine Tuning..... Pleasssse!!!

C'mon guys,,,give me some input here if you can please... Where are all of you at?? Maximadave, MaxStillen, Matt93, Mattattax, Jmax, Sweetsound, Max'n'out???? You guys oughta have some knowledge on this stuff right?? I just wanna be sure I set my amp correctly...

Anyways,,,,thanks for any and all help! D-MAN
Old 02-21-2002, 09:57 AM

relax, we will get to it

Yes, I have the experince with it, I had one.

If you are abusive on your mids then most likely you wanna high pass the fronts around 100hz and up. If you don't abuse them you can go all the way down if you see fit. Then adjust the gain, by first turning the head unit up about half way and then start to turn up the amp to where you think it' sloud enough and not cliping.

For the rear high pass um about 100hz and up, then just barely turn the gain up.

That help enough?
Old 02-22-2002, 12:26 AM

Alllllllmost.....hehehe

Thanks for responding Jayson ,,,the info you gave me is somewhat what I thought,, but what about the little switches on the side of the amp?? Do I turn them ON/OFF?? AND on the X-over adjustments on top of the amp,,,, do I need to adjust both the low and high pass screws if I am only using High pass on the switches or what?? Thanks again bud,,,the help is much appreciated.,,,,,D-MAN
Old 02-22-2002, 12:37 PM

Re: Alllllllmost.....hehehe

Originally posted by DMAN11
Thanks for responding Jayson ,,,the info you gave me is somewhat what I thought,, but what about the little switches on the side of the amp?? Do I turn them ON/OFF?? AND on the X-over adjustments on top of the amp,,,, do I need to adjust both the low and high pass screws if I am only using High pass on the switches or what?? Thanks again bud,,,the help is much appreciated.,,,,,D-MAN
Your gonna have to refresh my memory it's been awhile, what on/off switchs? I only remember the basic controls being on the side. You only adjust high pass, on top.
Old 02-23-2002, 09:23 AM

Re: Re: Alllllllmost.....hehehe

There are small switches on the same side as the RCA's.they read as follows:

CHANNEL-1/2 SECTION
---HP ON/OFF
--- x1/x20
---LP ON/OFF

CHANNEL-3/4 SECTION
---INPUT CHANNEL 1/2; 3/4 ; (1+3/2+4)
---HP ON/OFF
---LP ON/OFF
--- x1/x20

These are on the side, as well as the screws on top for LP frequency,,,HP frequency,,,,and Gains. What would you say might be a good setting on these screws?? I am thinking like 80-85Hz on rear coaxials, and about 85-90Hz on the front components...Yes/No??? I know I will have to try them and reset, and try and reset,,,,but just asking...

Thanks,,,,,,,D-MAN
Old 02-23-2002, 12:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Alllllllmost.....hehehe

Originally posted by DMAN11
There are small switches on the same side as the RCA's.they read as follows:

CHANNEL-1/2 SECTION
---HP ON/OFF
--- x1/x20
---LP ON/OFF

CHANNEL-3/4 SECTION
---INPUT CHANNEL 1/2; 3/4 ; (1+3/2+4)
---HP ON/OFF
---LP ON/OFF
--- x1/x20

These are on the side, as well as the screws on top for LP frequency,,,HP frequency,,,,and Gains. What would you say might be a good setting on these screws?? I am thinking like 80-85Hz on rear coaxials, and about 85-90Hz on the front components...Yes/No??? I know I will have to try them and reset, and try and reset,,,,but just asking...

Thanks,,,,,,,D-MAN
Channel 1/2 hp on lp off

channel 3/4 hp on lp off
1+3 and 2+4 is for bridged mode and your not using that.

I don't honestly remember the x1/x20 at all, so Im not sure what that is.

On the front I'd set them, if your not an abuser, at 75-80 hz and up, on the rear i'd go 100hz and up. As with the gains your gonna have to go by ear, just make sure you don't have them clipping.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:28 PM

That Will Do IT....

Thanks Jayson, for all the help. I am gonna set those today and hopefully be able to finish them today....hehe Thanks again for the help......D-MAN

PS-- a) “X1”: Normal crossover frequency (50 to
400Hz)
b) “X20”: The crossover frequency will be
multiplied by 20 (1k to 8 kHz).

I can probably leave that on X1. I won't be crossing anything at 1kHz or above. I guess that's for like tweeters and stuff, huh??
Thanks Again!!