Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Kicker L7 Vs Eclipse 8800 series...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002 | 11:11 PM

Kicker L7 Vs Eclipse 8800 series...

Okay guys, I was looking at getting the following system.. 2 Kicker L7 12"s brand new from this guy off the XS Car Audio Forums, powering them with a JBL 1200.1 amplifer which actually puts out 1300+ watts, but lacks a subsonic filter so cannot be used in ported boxes.. so I'm going with a custom sealed box.. anyway, I noticed in this place's for sale section someone is selling 3 used Eclipse Aluminum 8800 series 12s, used, in a custom box for $600... I'm leaning towards these as I realized today listening to my friend's crappy 2 Kenwood Tornado powered by a Sony 400 watt amp... SPL is easy to do, and isn't really nescessary as I value my eardrums, and he didn't even have it maxed out and I could feel my ears dying.. however I don't know much about Eclpse Aluminums, how are thye on the SPL/SQ and is this a good deal being offered? Any help on this would be great, thanks! Sorry for the rambling post.. I suxor at anglish
Old 03-05-2002 | 09:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Kicker L7 Vs Eclipse 8800 series...

Originally posted by Seraphim
Okay guys, I was looking at getting the following system.. 2 Kicker L7 12"s brand new from this guy off the XS Car Audio Forums, powering them with a JBL 1200.1 amplifer which actually puts out 1300+ watts, but lacks a subsonic filter so cannot be used in ported boxes.. so I'm going with a custom sealed box.. anyway, I noticed in this place's for sale section someone is selling 3 used Eclipse Aluminum 8800 series 12s, used, in a custom box for $600... I'm leaning towards these as I realized today listening to my friend's crappy 2 Kenwood Tornado powered by a Sony 400 watt amp... SPL is easy to do, and isn't really nescessary as I value my eardrums, and he didn't even have it maxed out and I could feel my ears dying.. however I don't know much about Eclpse Aluminums, how are thye on the SPL/SQ and is this a good deal being offered? Any help on this would be great, thanks! Sorry for the rambling post.. I suxor at anglish
3 Eclipse 8800 series 12s for $600 without a box would be one hell of a deal. Most Eclipse 10s cost about $300 - $340 each. Since you are getting the 12s for $600, I would jump on it. I have had many different subs and I can tell you that the only ones I have been satisfied with are the Eclipse, Diamond Audio MacDaddys, and JL Audio W7 series. Kicker is okay, but the L7s lack the sound quality of the ones I just mentioned. I am a Diamond Audio freak as it is and I guess I am a little biased towards them, but I just wanted to help point some things out for you. Oh yeah, even if you use the JBL amp, you would seriously be underpowering the Eclipse subs. They can handle tons more.

C.D.
Old 03-05-2002 | 09:37 AM

Re: Re: Kicker L7 Vs Eclipse 8800 series...

Originally posted by C-Dawg

Yeah I was thinking about that also... I may not have enough power to run those eclipses... although it appears I would almost RMS them all, as they all have an RMS of 500, so 500x3=1500 and the JBL would be running about 1300... think that would sound like crap still?

3 Eclipse 8800 series 12s for $600 without a box would be one hell of a deal. Most Eclipse 10s cost about $300 - $340 each. Since you are getting the 12s for $600, I would jump on it. I have had many different subs and I can tell you that the only ones I have been satisfied with are the Eclipse, Diamond Audio MacDaddys, and JL Audio W7 series. Kicker is okay, but the L7s lack the sound quality of the ones I just mentioned. I am a Diamond Audio freak as it is and I guess I am a little biased towards them, but I just wanted to help point some things out for you. Oh yeah, even if you use the JBL amp, you would seriously be underpowering the Eclipse subs. They can handle tons more.

C.D.