Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

with a Kenwood KAC-648s, is redoing wire speakers necessary

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 10:30 AM

Kenwood amp, 25 w x 4 channels, do I have to rewire the speakers?

If I am going to have a Kenwood KAC-648s amp powering my speakers, is it necessary that i rewire it through the car. The amp only pushes out about 25 watts per channel. I am not sure what the factory unit pushes out to the current speakers (Panesonics i believe).

Let me know

It was recommeneded that i go to radio shack and by about 30 feet worth of 16 gauge speaker wires, but i am not sure if i necessarily have to do that.

thanks
bryan
Old 03-27-2002, 07:11 AM

correcto....if pushing the inside speaker off an amp, you'll have to run speaker wire from the amp to the new speakers. The factory wires that are hooked up to the factory speakers isn't needed. And i would get alittle more than 30 ft just to be safe.
-blake
Old 03-27-2002, 07:13 AM

Ok. Sweetsound also told me that i didn't have to do it for my front 2 speakers, but i probably should for my rear speakers. I am just trying to figure out how a re-wiring would be done.

bryan
Old 03-27-2002, 07:21 AM

If you plan on putting the amp on all 4 speakers, then yes, re-wire the speakers from the amp. The reason for this is because the amp is sending the speaker signals to play the music. The speakers won't work wire the speaker wire from the amp AND from the HU wired to the speakers...I tried with the rears, but i could be wrong. Maybe you can just put the amp on the rear and have the HU power the front, then only re-wire the rears. I dunno if the HU will give out more power to the fronts if the rears are not getting power from it anymore.
-blake
Old 03-27-2002, 07:50 AM

Im sorry, but you lost me on that one.

So you are saying that i can have the factory speakers that are going from the HU and the wires from the amp work together? or the amp will take over? that is what confuses me.

bryan
Old 03-27-2002, 08:15 AM

sorry...i can get carried away with stereo stuff sometime.....No, it's either one or the other, Hu or amp. The speaker won't work with speakers wires from both...i think the signals cancel each other out or something.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:25 AM
jmax

Yeah, HU or amp, not both. I think there is also an issue of the amp pushing power to the HU, and the HU pushing to the amp. One or both will burn out. There are a few amps designed so that they can be daisy chained, but not many. And don't worry about those. 15 ft or wire per side should be plenty for the front speakers but I would get 16 to be safe. Then cut off the exces after the wire is run. You will probably need betwwen 3 and 10 ft each for the rear speakers depending on wher the amp is mounted and which way the wires are run. If you go completely around the perimeter of the trunk to keep wires out of site, you may need a little more.

Old 03-27-2002, 10:05 AM

Ok, so let me get this straight. I will install the Eclipse head unit. Then i will attach the Nissan 1995 and higher wire harness to the back of the unit, matching the colors. Then, I will take the 16 gauge speaker wire, which i can buy from radio shack for like 4 bucks, and run a section of it from the wire harness to the amplifier, a 4 channel amp. Do that for all 4 speaker wires. Then i will run a section of the 16 gauge speaker wire from each amp channel to the designated speakers. FR, FL, RL,RR.

Is that correct?

I still don't know where i am going to mount my amps. In my grand am, before i got the maxima, the seats that folded down had wood in the back of them, so it was able to mount to that, but i don't see anything like that in the maxima. Will something have to be made?

thanks
bryan