Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

changing speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 09:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

changing speakers

Guys, I know someone knows this. I have a 95 max with bose, i already changed the HU out using the converter so that i could keep the bose speakers for the time being. Now since bose blows so badly I need new speakers. What is the best way to do this. Do I just need to replace the speakers or do I need to rewire from the HU back. Thanks in advance for the help
Old 03-27-2002, 11:08 AM

Re: changing speakers

Originally posted by maxima42
Guys, I know someone knows this. I have a 95 max with bose, i already changed the HU out using the converter so that i could keep the bose speakers for the time being. Now since bose blows so badly I need new speakers. What is the best way to do this. Do I just need to replace the speakers or do I need to rewire from the HU back. Thanks in advance for the help
Yes, when you install new HU, it can't work with the small amplifiers, which run your Bose speakers. You need an amplifier for the speakers (I beleive you need new speakers) so you can run it with no distortion!!!
Old 03-27-2002, 10:01 PM

1st: you wanna get to the Bose amp and disconect the harness(one big clip) at each speaker and cap the harness with electrical tape.

2nd: cut out the two speaker leads from that Bose-harnes(two middle small/skinnier wires)and extend them to your new speaker. Do this for all 4 Bose amps/harness's and youll be fine. Just be sure you cap off that harness cause it will still be live with power. UNLESS you pull the headunit out and disconnect the remote lead for AMP turn on.

But believe me I have done this more times than i can count, to 3rd and 4th gens at my shop. Works like a charm everytime.

have a nice day!

Ant
Old 03-28-2002, 04:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ny96max
1st: you wanna get to the Bose amp and disconect the harness(one big clip) at each speaker and cap the harness with electrical tape.

2nd: cut out the two speaker leads from that Bose-harnes(two middle small/skinnier wires)and extend them to your new speaker. Do this for all 4 Bose amps/harness's and youll be fine. Just be sure you cap off that harness cause it will still be live with power. UNLESS you pull the headunit out and disconnect the remote lead for AMP turn on.

But believe me I have done this more times than i can count, to 3rd and 4th gens at my shop. Works like a charm everytime.

have a nice day!

Ant
Thanks Ant, I was hoping there was a simple solution, and this one will work perfectly. Thanks again

Brian