Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Should I replace the Bose? With what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 12:39 PM

Should I replace the Bose? With what?

All:

I know this may have been asked before, but I searched the archives to no avail. In my 97 SE, the sound is okay, but I was wondering about getting something XM ready. I dunno. . .

What do you guys replace the Bose system with? Something with startling realism preferably. Not mad bass, and not any of that Dolby Digital stuff. I don't need a center channel in the car. haha

Thanks for the advice,

B
Old 04-26-2002, 02:41 PM

Your question is just to wide open. There are a few head units now that come with XM. Are you looking soley to replace the head unit, or everything. Budget? Stuff like that, more details will help. It's kinda like going to a car dealer and asking for a car.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:00 PM

Well I heard that if you replace one thing in the Bose system, you must replace it all. They are built with such a synergy. . . But I was just interested in other people's experiences. . .

Thx!

B
Old 04-29-2002, 06:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If your not into mad bass then I don't see a reason to replace the bose speakers because thats their only weakness.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:29 PM

If you decide just to buy a new head unit you don't have to change the whole bose system .They have a special adapter you will have to buy to connect the bose speakers to the new radio so you can hear music

I changed my head unit at first then i just changed the front and rear speakers because the front speakers got blown
Old 04-29-2002, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by RapidMax
If your not into mad bass then I don't see a reason to replace the bose speakers because thats their only weakness.
RapidMax is right. There is no reason at all to replace the Bose system unless your looking to get some subs and play things loud. The Bose system will be as good or better than anything your put in the car if don't go all out. The only place the Bose may fall behind the aftermarket is in volume level, thats it. I am an audiophile so I had no choice but to replace the Bose. I can say the system was sufficient for the month I had to put up with it untill I picked some equipment up and saved my money. Maybe you could clarify exactly what type of sound you wanted. What you don't like about the Bose, or what you were planning on doing to your car so we can help you out a little better?
Old 04-29-2002, 08:10 PM

Nip. . .

I am in your boat. I too am an audiophile, and enjoy the world's greatest sound in my living room. So, I suppose I would like to have a taste of that in my car. And the other day I was looking at some newer head units, and they were impressive enough to warrant the thought. But I had heard that the Bose system, like Naim, or Linn has a synergy, and doesn't really do well when one piece of the chain is changed.

That's all I'm saying. For me, it's all about realism. .

B
Old 04-29-2002, 08:34 PM

You do have to replace the whole system if your going to do it. I have an alpine deck and infinity speakers. I have JL subs and run 65 watts to the 4 primary speakers and 150 to each sub. The sound is amazing. The maxima has very good speaker placement and acoustics, for a car. Get yourself a respectable deck, amp all of your speakers and get a subwoofer or two and set it to a moderate level if your not a bass fanatic. You will surely enjoy it! I have some crappy pics of my stereo if you want them. Email me and I can get you the link, or email me if you want need some recommendations. I could write forever about this topic. nipp0005@umn.edu