Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Which type of wire for high level amp inputs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 10:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Which type of wire for high level amp inputs?

I'm a newbie here, so I apologize if this has already been covered. I couldn't find it by searching (although I did find how to run the amp power cable through the firewall on my '90, so I won't have to ask that question). Anyway, I'm installing an amp in the trunk and a HU that has only one set of preamp outs. I'll be using the speaker outs to drive the rear amp inputs, and I need to know what type of wire to use from the HU to the amp: speaker wire (unshielded) or shielded RCA wire? Also, to minimize noise problems, do I run this "high level" signal cable near the "low level" signal cable or does it need to be separated? Thank you for your help, and I apologize if this is already covered elsewhere. Jonathan Babiak (Austin, Texas)
Old 04-29-2002, 09:57 PM
jmax

If you are using high level inputs for just the rear speakers you should be able to use the factory speaker wires. Just tap into the wires where the would otherwise connect to the rear speakers. As for the RCA, you will only need one set of high quality shielded cables for the front outputs of the headunit. Another option is to use that set of RCA cables for both inputs of the amp. Either with a Y cable or internal circuits in the amp.

Old 04-30-2002, 01:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks jmax. I found out when my amp arrived last night that I'll be using high level signals front and rear, because the amp has only one hi/lo switch for both front and rear. Thank you for the help. Jonathan Babiak (Austin, Texas)
Old 05-01-2002, 03:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

mann..if your gonna be powering mid/tweet's with that...i would strongly suggest utilizing that RCA output..it sounds much better than a line out coverter / high to low level converter..imo
Old 05-01-2002, 07:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
mann..if your gonna be powering mid/tweet's with that...i would strongly suggest utilizing that RCA output..it sounds much better than a line out coverter / high to low level converter..imo
I may try wiring the system to run off the front preamp outputs driving both front and rear amp inputs like jmax suggested and see what it's like without having a fader. I know this is probably another newbie question, but is there a device available that I can wire into the signal after the amp that will allow me to adjust the rear volume independent of the front? Thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-01-2002, 09:50 AM
jmax

In my old system I had a single set of pre-amp outs. The headunit was bought around 1990. So that was high end in that day. But I used an eq with built in sub crossover and fader. It had a single set of RCA inputs, but three sets of outputs - front, rear and sub. I know similar devices still exist and there may be a cheaper stand-alone fader or similar device that will do the same thing.

Also check: www.davidnavone.com/
There are a lot of adapters and converters on that site.

Old 05-01-2002, 01:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by jmax
<cut>Also check: www.davidnavone.com/
There are a lot of adapters and converters on that site.
That's exactly what I was looking for, jmax! David Navone sells a volume control that I can put between the HU and the amp after splitting the preamp output with a Y. I'll have control of front/rear volume, and I'll still get to use the preamp outputs to drive the amp. I might consider this volume control as well:

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobesp...20whispers.pdf

Either way, I think I'm good to go. Thanks to the max.org forum, of course! Jonathan Babiak (Austin, Texas)
Old 05-03-2002, 03:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

JB...

Just in case you'd like a recommendation for a brand of interconnects (RCA cables), try Stinger's Hyper series. They're not as expensive as some of the other brands out there, and if you check on eBay (like I did) you should be able to score a nice set for small cheese.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your system!

peace2u