Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Bose head unit CD problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 11:39 AM

Bose head unit CD problem

I have a 96 with the Bose CD/Tape. I have had the car from day one. Yesterday the CD I was listing to started to become very distorted. I stop it, remove the CD and put it back in. The CD player kept trying to read the CD, but couldn't. I tried a different CD, nothing. I tried using one of those CD laser head cleaning CD's, but no luck. Can someone tell me what the problem is?
Old 05-15-2002, 11:55 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You posted this twice, well sort of. You should have gone back and edited your first post, now a moderator will have to delete it.

Anyhow, the cleaning disk didn't work huh? How many times did you try the cleaning disk, once, twice?

You tried a different CD with no luck either? There are a few placed the repair BOSE equipment. You might have to take it in. Could be a fried laser pick up.

Did you try it again after the unit cooled down?

Get a can of compressed air and blow it in the slot, could be some dirt stuck on the track the laser moves on. Also I'm not so sure of those cleaning disks.. Perhaps try another brand.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:09 PM

my bose cd player did the same thing a few weeks ago i tried everything it is a common problem i have spoken to a few other guys that had the same problem with it..it tries to read it gives and error message and ejects the cd..ive given up and im going to install an aftermarket player and toss the bose
Old 05-15-2002, 12:18 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Another way around a totally new system would be just to add the 6 disc changer to the trunk. I think there still on e-bay for like 200 bucks. USA Spec is the one I picked up. Works perfect with the BOSE unit and it's a snap to install. Comes with the wire harness that just plugs into the back of your BOSE head unit.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Another way around a totally new system would be just to add the 6 disc changer to the trunk. I think there still on e-bay for like 200 bucks. USA Spec is the one I picked up. Works perfect with the BOSE unit and it's a snap to install. Comes with the wire harness that just plugs into the back of your BOSE head unit.
I tried the "Endust CD Lens Cleaner" about 5 times. I even waited a while and treid it again. I even took the fuse out and put it back in to see if it would reset the head unit. Nothing. I am going to try the compressed air later today. I have already started to look for a used on on e-bay or even this forum. A brand new one is $1,900. I don't want to change to a aftermarket unit. I have heard soem horor stories.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:09 PM

for an audiophile music enthusiast, if you change the head unit, you need to change your speakers, too. If you're content with the speakers, just change out the head unit and buy a bose adaptor harness. At least that's what i've heard. If you do it properly, you won't have a horror story about frying your head unit.

My stock bose CD crapped out a couple years ago. I'm finally getting around to changing the head unit. I'll keep y'all posted.

Originally posted by NUGE

I tried the "Endust CD Lens Cleaner" about 5 times. I even waited a while and treid it again. I even took the fuse out and put it back in to see if it would reset the head unit. Nothing. I am going to try the compressed air later today. I have already started to look for a used on on e-bay or even this forum. A brand new one is $1,900. I don't want to change to a aftermarket unit. I have heard soem horor stories.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:42 PM

I tried compressed air, no help. I guess I have to change out the head unit. I have begun to look for a used one on e-bay and this forum. Does anybody know if the A/c controls are interchangable? I mean if I have the regular A/C controls can I get the electronic one and just plug it in? Also, can a 95, 97, 98, or 99 head unit work in a 96?
Old 05-15-2002, 02:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you're an audiophile, you can change the Bose headunit and keep all the remaining Bose speakers and if you use the PD4 here;
http://www.linkmeup.com/pd4.htm

It's the only BOSE adapter that takes the Line out RCAs from your new HU and feeds it to the Bose system, thereby producing the cleanest signal to amplify.

I got one

DW

Originally posted by mango95se
for an audiophile music enthusiast, if you change the head unit, you need to change your speakers, too. If you're content with the speakers, just change out the head unit and buy a bose adaptor harness. At least that's what i've heard. If you do it properly, you won't have a horror story about frying your head unit.

My stock bose CD crapped out a couple years ago. I'm finally getting around to changing the head unit. I'll keep y'all posted.

Old 05-16-2002, 06:38 AM

I'm not sure about the AC controls, but i'm fairly sure that 95-99 head units are interchangeable.

I tried compressed air, no help. I guess I have to change out the head unit. I have begun to look for a used one on e-bay and this forum. Does anybody know if the A/c controls are interchangable? I mean if I have the regular A/C controls can I get the electronic one and just plug it in? Also, can a 95, 97, 98, or 99 head unit work in a 96?
Old 05-16-2002, 06:53 AM

Yeah, the Bose HUs are inter-changeable. The 99s are the prettiest ones if you can find them.

Switching from a Manual AC to Auto is ALOT more work than just replacing the controls. Don't bother, just replace it with the same thing.

DW

Old 05-16-2002, 03:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nuge
One other option is to send the unit to Clarion. For $125 flat fee they will send you a reconditioned unit with a 90 day warranty. I did this with a blown rear speaker. A more expensive option is to have a Nissan dealership send it in for you. You will get quicker turn around and a one year warranty.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:51 PM

Is there a website or phone number you can give me for Clarion.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:30 PM

I just talked ot Clarion. They said that every Nissan dealer will charge a different price. I talked to Gardena Nissan and they siad it would be $ 137.00. It will take 2 weeks and I will get a 1 year warranty.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:44 PM

Wow, sounds good!

I just found this thread. I'm in the market for something to replce my wacked out head unit. The CD player wont work, and now its making the radio stop playing and shutting off. I'd like to get one of these head units either from a dealer or Clarion. I wonder if the reconditioned ones can be trusted tho? I think I hate this Bose/Clarion crappy stereo.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:53 PM

I was at the NE meet yesterday and sold my Bose HU there. Guy who had a 95/96 Max bought it. He installed it right there, too!! Worked like a charm. Total plug N play. He liked the better look of my slightly newer 98 Bose HU.

DW
Old 06-10-2002, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
I was at the NE meet yesterday and sold my Bose HU there. Guy who had a 95/96 Max bought it. He installed it right there, too!! Worked like a charm. Total plug N play. He liked the better look of my slightly newer 98 Bose HU.

DW
I bet it'll last for like 30-90 days then crap out too!!

Nothing personal, but I've been doing a little research and found that many people are getting RICH on repairing these dang things! I think I need to look at getting something else.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Get a can of compressed air and blow it in the slot, could be some dirt stuck on the track the laser moves on. Also I'm not so sure of those cleaning disks.. Perhaps try another brand.
Compressed Air can actually blow dust onto your laser... as I have learned from experience. If your going to do this make sure you have a laser lens cleaner ready to use immediately after blowing in the compressed air or you may run into problems. Just an FYI.