Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Anybody else running the JL Audio 12W7's???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 08:11 PM

Anybody else running the JL Audio 12W7's???

If so, do you have trunk space anymore???

Not me
Old 05-15-2002, 08:58 PM

Re: Anybody else running the JL Audio 12W7's???

Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
If so, do you have trunk space anymore???

Not me
Actually, I had made a post a few days ago asking for some opinions on what amp i could use to power the sub i planned on getting, a 12W3. However, I only today just realized that I'm a complete idiot and must have been smoking some good s*^t b/c I meant to say 12W7. How much did you guys pay for yours? I think I will be getting one for around $580, good deal? Also what amp you using to drive this kind of beast? I really don't want to rattle my car to pieces...any advice? Thanks. You don't happen to have a pic of your W7 trunk setup, do you?
Old 05-15-2002, 09:13 PM

Re: Re: Anybody else running the JL Audio 12W7's???

Originally posted by GetSome681

Actually, I had made a post a few days ago asking for some opinions on what amp i could use to power the sub i planned on getting, a 12W3. However, I only today just realized that I'm a complete idiot and must have been smoking some good s*^t b/c I meant to say 12W7. How much did you guys pay for yours? I think I will be getting one for around $580, good deal? Also what amp you using to drive this kind of beast? I really don't want to rattle my car to pieces...any advice? Thanks. You don't happen to have a pic of your W7 trunk setup, do you?
All you will see from a pic is my amp rack/capacitor and GREY CARPET!!! The whole trunk is gone except for about 10" across...

I was wondering about the JL12W3???

Anyway, you can pick up a sub alone for 550-600 on the net but it's all on you if you blow it... Make sure they are a JLAudio authorized retailer...

I paid about 800 for the sub and box with a lifetime warranty (friend of mine)... JLAudio also designed a new type of "slotted" ported enclosure to use with the 10W7 & 12W7... It comes sold with the sub in it...

As far as power.... I have a Fosgate 1000bd amp powering it and it pushes it good... I may need another 1 farad capacitor...

Let's say this... It reproduces the 120 cycles pretty effecient and clean but when you get to 30's and lows, HOLY ****!!! That thing is incredible. It has 3" of excursion for a reason...

Power it with a fosgate.. It has a nice "punch bass" remote that allows you to have instand DB increase...
Old 05-15-2002, 10:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Anybody else running the JL Audio 12W7's???

I paid about 800 for the sub and box with a lifetime warranty (friend of mine)... JLAudio also designed a new type of "slotted" ported enclosure to use with the 10W7 & 12W7... It comes sold with the sub in it...

I'll have to take a look at this enclosure y'ou're talking about. Also, in your sig it says "subs"....you have 1 or more in your trunk? I was only looking at getting one. Also only about a 500 amp since I was under the impression that it would be more than enough for this sub b/c of it's awesome sound quality, and high signal to noise.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:46 PM

Hey Eddie,

I personally am running just a 10W3. Not too much, but I have trunk space, and it's good enough for me. Sounds like you got a pretty good sub there. I recently went to a sound off competition, and a guy had one 10W7 in, I think,,,one of those pre-made boxes. It was grey carpet with like a red oval cut out around in front of the sub. I have seen others in these boxes too, so I guess that's the ones. Anyway, this guy had like 500 watts going to the 10W7 off of a multi channel amp pushing highs on the other channels. He hit 147.8 on the meter and took 1st in his group. Sounded pretty nice if you ask me. I can only imagine that 12W7 with like 1000 watts going to it

Sounds good from here........DMAN
Old 05-16-2002, 07:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anybody else running the JL Audio 12W7's???

I'll have to take a look at this enclosure y'ou're talking about. Also, in your sig it says "subs"....you have 1 or more in your trunk? I was only looking at getting one. Also only about a 500 amp since I was under the impression that it would be more than enough for this sub b/c of it's awesome sound quality, and high signal to noise.
Sorry 'bout that... I have two but am only running one. I updated the sig pic before I decided to only run 1.

Anyway, you NEED at LEAST over 750w from a GOOD amp (Don't go getting a Pyramid) to move this. 500w is a bare minimum but you will not see it's potential.

Signal to noise doesn't mean anything when you don't have enough wattage to the VC.

If it's a Fosgate Class D Power BD amp, then it 's actually about 30% more wattage than advertised... The 500bd will actually be around 650-750- watts...

Rockford understates all of their amps..
Old 05-16-2002, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by DMAN11
Hey Eddie,

I personally am running just a 10W3. Not too much, but I have trunk space, and it's good enough for me. Sounds like you got a pretty good sub there. I recently went to a sound off competition, and a guy had one 10W7 in, I think,,,one of those pre-made boxes. It was grey carpet with like a red oval cut out around in front of the sub. I have seen others in these boxes too, so I guess that's the ones. Anyway, this guy had like 500 watts going to the 10W7 off of a multi channel amp pushing highs on the other channels. He hit 147.8 on the meter and took 1st in his group. Sounded pretty nice if you ask me. I can only imagine that 12W7 with like 1000 watts going to it

Sounds good from here........DMAN
I plan on hitting about 150-160 db. I will let you know... The thing REALLY hits the lows like I never heard (felt). My windows are beginning to flex... (It's more like 1200-1300 watts also...)
Old 05-16-2002, 02:13 PM

I saw the box made by JL that you mentioned, looks not bad. Do you have this box? Where did you get it? Any places for deals on JL equipment. I think you mentioned something about trying to buy from a dealer or such b/c of warranty..but if the product is brand new, wouldn't I have some kind of warranty from JL itself? All I know is that I can taste the W7 right now!!!
Old 05-16-2002, 02:46 PM

I saw the box made by JL that you mentioned, looks not bad. Do you have this box? Where did you get it? Any places for deals on JL equipment. I think you mentioned something about trying to buy from a dealer or such b/c of warranty..but if the product is brand new, wouldn't I have some kind of warranty from JL itself? All I know is that I can taste the W7 right now!!!
You should have a JL warranty if it was purchased from an auth retailer. I know Alpine harps on products purchased "off the street"...

I got it from my friend that works at Custom Auto Radio in Saugus, MA. He gave me a good deal...

They are a special order pretty much anywhere. It took him a week to get mine in. It does fit in the max's trunk with a little effort (PITA).
Old 05-16-2002, 04:42 PM

You should have a JL warranty if it was purchased from an auth retailer. I know Alpine harps on products purchased "off the street"...

I got it from my friend that works at Custom Auto Radio in Saugus, MA. He gave me a good deal...

They are a special order pretty much anywhere. It took him a week to get mine in. It does fit in the max's trunk with a little effort (PITA).
If it doesn't fit too well, would it be better to just get a custom box built? Maybe something that would fit more with the max's trunk design? Just curious. Either way I'll be paying for the install.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:44 PM

If it doesn't fit too well, would it be better to just get a custom box built? Maybe something that would fit more with the max's trunk design? Just curious. Either way I'll be paying for the install.
No, it fits... Actually fits perfect... Make sure to install it with the woofer facing the front and pull down your rear pass-through.... oh yeah...
Old 05-16-2002, 06:12 PM

No, it fits... Actually fits perfect... Make sure to install it with the woofer facing the front and pull down your rear pass-through.... oh yeah...
So you're saying that you put it in through the back seat? I definitely want to be able to take this beast out when need be (ie - at the track). Where do you have the amp? Is it on the box, or what? Sorry for my lack of knowledge. You don't happen to have a pic of it in your trunk, do you? Sorry for being a bother, but I appreciate it, and just want some W7-lovin of my own!!
Old 05-16-2002, 09:04 PM

JLAudio also designed a new type of "slotted" ported enclosure
im sorry, but this information is INCORRECT. the slot ports are not a new design, and they sure as hell were not designed first by jl.

now, if you meant that it is one of jls new products, then i remit my former statement.

eric
Old 05-17-2002, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by nismo240sx

im sorry, but this information is INCORRECT. the slot ports are not a new design, and they sure as hell were not designed first by jl.

now, if you meant that it is one of jls new products, then i remit my former statement.

eric
I'm sorry but I was referring to JL Audio's new product.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:52 PM

So, went to go talk to the JL Audio dealer today, and they wanted to sell me that special JL box for close to a grand!! Screw that! I'm just going to have them build me a nice sealed box, with the JL and W7 emblems on the sides, and maybe through some plexi o the top, with some neon inside or something, for around $500, plus it won't take up the entire darn trunk. I'd really like to just go with the JL 500/1 amp, but is this going to be enough for this W7 sub? I mean, I want some serious sound, but I'm not the most demanding. Does it makes sense to try and get this amp somewhere, else and save like $200, or in terms of warranties, is it better to just get from the dealer? What's people's opinions? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2002, 05:02 PM

So, went to go talk to the JL Audio dealer today, and they wanted to sell me that special JL box for close to a grand!! Screw that! I'm just going to have them build me a nice sealed box, with the JL and W7 emblems on the sides, and maybe through some plexi o the top, with some neon inside or something, for around $500, plus it won't take up the entire darn trunk. I'd really like to just go with the JL 500/1 amp, but is this going to be enough for this W7 sub? I mean, I want some serious sound, but I'm not the most demanding. Does it makes sense to try and get this amp somewhere, else and save like $200, or in terms of warranties, is it better to just get from the dealer? What's people's opinions? Thanks.
I only got the price because I knew someone... I will hook you up with the info and tell him I sent you... See what he can do...

If you are into sound, this box was made for that speaker... What's with the neon & JL badges...???? You're not competing so presentation doesn't matter. SAve a few bucks...

You can do what you want, just make sure they build a good box for that speaker... It will rattle right apart if it's cheap...

The JL 500/1 will NOT be enough to power it. You will not be pushing the W7 to it's potential... If you want to save a few bucks & SPL doesn't matter, go with a different setup and use the 500/1 for it if you need that amp.

If you end up with the W7 & 500/1, you've wasted cash because you could have gone with the 500/1 and a dual sub setup (get Adire, everyone loves them ) for less money. But you won't have a W7... The woofer is unreal... You know where that cash went.... I do...
Old 05-17-2002, 06:21 PM

I only got the price because I knew someone... I will hook you up with the info and tell him I sent you... See what he can do...

If you want to, you can email that info to gte908m@prism.gatech.edu. Guess I'll be looking more at that 1000/1 amp then.. hmm.
Old 05-18-2002, 08:48 PM

If you want to, you can email that info to gte908m@prism.gatech.edu. Guess I'll be looking more at that 1000/1 amp then.. hmm.
You get it homie???
Old 05-18-2002, 09:13 PM

You get it homie???
Sure did...thanks a million. I tried calling today, but he'd already left. I'll be trying on monday. All I know is that I want a W7 in my trunk NOW!!
Old 05-18-2002, 09:37 PM

Cool, I'm glad... I hope he can give you a good deal and I'm glad you're taking my advise. I can honestly say that the thing sounds incredible...

He actually is a winning IASCA competitor. He is in the new Rockford Fosgate catalog.

Here is an install:

Name of Truck/Car: The Shaker
Type of Vehicle:Chevy S-10 Blazer
Name Of Driver: He calls himself The Shaker
Power Class: 1001+ Watts
Headunit(s)Unknown (help us)
Woofers Used: Rockford DVC 15's
How Many of THOSE?!?: Eighteen!
Amp(s) Make/Model 18 Rockford 250x2 running 1/2 Ohm mono
Additional Equiptment: 18 Stinger Accumatchs
3 count em 3 200+ amp alternators, some forklift Batteries, and the biggy
A couple of nice steel straps to strap the doors shut during SPL showdowns
Current SPL Record: 159.6 DB drag racing at the USAC finals ,for the WIN!