Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

in dash dvd w/ flip out screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 12:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

in dash dvd w/ flip out screen

im heard you can fit thos in dash dvd players w/ the flip out screen in the little storage compartment below the bose unit, has anybody done this or hab pictures? also, ne of u guyz hab recommendations as too which dvd players w/ flip out screens are good? im jus lookin for a basic dvd player w/ a screen and hopefully jus hook that up and still keep mah bose head unit. thanks guyz.
Old 06-08-2002, 03:08 PM

Yes, you can fit a in-dash LCD unit in the coin tray, I haven't seen anyone who's doin this though as almost everyone I've seen with an LCD has replaced their entire stero and put the screen on the top. There are a lot of good screens out there, kenwood, pioneer and alpine make some good units. If you decide to go with one of these, you Bose will pretty much become useless because in order to get sound you'd need to replace your ENTIRE stereo, including Bose speakers. These screens are meant to replace factory headunits and if you take out the Bose then you'll also have to take out your speakers too.
Old 06-08-2002, 04:50 PM

well i was hoping to keep mah bose unit and factory speakers and just hooking up the dvd player w/ screen to that and putting it underneath mah bose unit. jus wonderin if nebody has done this or knows if it can be done. i was lookin at the panasonic dvd player w/ the 7" lcd screen. anybody hab this? alrite, thanks guyz.
Old 06-09-2002, 01:24 AM

If you're going to be spending over $1000, you should at least consider spending another $150-$200 extra to get some decent speakers to go with your new system. If you wanted to hook up a unit to the existing Bose system, you'd have to get an FM modulator to somehow hook into the Bose and then connect that to the audio out of the DVD player that you get. The reason why it gets a little complicated is because the Bose unit is not meant to have anything added onto it and the Panasonic or which ever unit you decide on is meant to replace your stock (Bose)head unit. You will also get better sound quality if you replace your speakers because you don't have to pass the DVD audio signal through the FM. I doubt that anyone has ever done this because usually the first thing that anyone does with before adding a screen is to ditch the Bose and install a new audio system. It can be done if you can figure out a way to get the audio out from the DVD to play through your existing Bose speakers.
Old 06-09-2002, 01:41 AM

on the left side of the bose unit, there's tape, cd, cd changer, etc. i habn't seen the bak of the unit, but would i be able to jus run the audio from the dvd player to a cd changer audio input? and jus select that when i play dvds?
Old 06-09-2002, 02:43 AM

The cd changer does not have a normal audio input, you can only buy certain changers that will work with the Bose controls. I think the only way to get audio into the Bose is somehow through the FM Antenna input with an FM modulator and an adapter or you could use one of those old cassette to mini plug adapters that come with portable CD player car kits. Audio quality will be compromised with either of those setups. Your best bet would be to call a local audio shop and see what you can do, but I think the only real option you have is to ditch the Bose and replace everything. Why not ditch the Bose? The new system will get a lot louder without distortion and should be around the same price considering that you will have to find some special adapters. Also, your shifter will get in the way if you have a fold out unit, I'm not sure if any screen would end up hitting the shifter as it comes out of the pocket. If you're want it to look better, you could get a seperate screen & dvd combo that would fill up both DIN slots that the Bose currently uses.

Originally posted by aznsap
on the left side of the bose unit, there's tape, cd, cd changer, etc. i habn't seen the bak of the unit, but would i be able to jus run the audio from the dvd player to a cd changer audio input? and jus select that when i play dvds?
Old 06-09-2002, 03:06 PM

okay, thanks gates