Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

need expert advice on system...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 10:07 PM
mb1

need expert advice on system...

Right now I have 2 audiobahn alum15x in a sealed 1.5cuf box powered by am MTX 1000d. The subs are in paralel, so they create a 1.5 ohm load. I can't play music loud for too long because the amp shuts down. I read that box size affects the overall impeadence the amp sees. Now my question is, will a bigger box raise or lower the impeadence? Will it do it enough so the amp doesn't turn off? I'm planning on getting a 2.0cuf sealed box. Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-11-2002, 06:51 AM

i have never heard anything about box size affecting the impedance the amp sees. box size does effect the efficiency of the sub though.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:03 AM

Either rewire your subs, or get a different amp. Box size does not affect the impedance.

Stereodude
Old 06-11-2002, 12:04 PM
mb1

Originally posted by Stereodude
Either rewire your subs, or get a different amp. Box size does not affect the impedance.

Stereodude

I've heard differently from termpro.com, and an MTX rep. Maybee I'll cal up audiobahn ans ask them.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Redlinemax Owner

box size does not affect impedence!! impedence is created by the resistance that the subs voice coils produce if you have a 4ohm speaker it will be a 4ohm load no matter how big or small the box is. What is the rating of ohms per speaker? unless you have two 30hm or 4 6ohm voice coils it almost impossible to get a 1.5 impedence. Either way the first question to ask however is does your amp support anything below a 2ohm impedence? if not theres your problem. most amps are only 2 0hm stable. Otherwise i've had quite a bit of experience with MTX amps and they seem to shut down, i think faster than other amps, because of overheating. is your amp properly ventilated?
Old 06-11-2002, 12:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

there were probably trying to draw parallels

box size -> sub efficency -> Sub Power (actually being heard) ->(this is the confusion part is)..... -> Sub Power (ohms)

now for the confusion part, i think that they were just talking in general (not the specifics, which i have in paraenthesis). I mean your two sources are stores/vendors, basically they want to sell theyre product, or something. Im not trying to put down your sources, but i looked at the teampro site, they are trying to sell stuff, and an MTX amp is going to try to convience you to buy MTX crap, im not saying that they dont admit other products are better, but they are paid to promote theyre product.

You can flame if you want, im sure people disagree with my reasoning. I am aware that teampro has forums and you probably talked with someone over there. also this is just a thought to help clarify/tie what other members said together.

Hope this helps clarify the misconception, and if your still doubtful, maybe someone else can expand on this.

also i would listen to these guys, some of them run audio shops, they know there stuff, and before you say that im contradicting myself, these guys are just trying to help out, they arent mentioning selling theyre own stuff and even if they are, theyre on maxima forums giving free help. They can get you good deals and they are only biased on what theyve seen work the best, they try to match you with the best stuff for your budget. I am aware that authorized resellers may be influnced, but ive never seen it from these guys on the ORG.

MrGone
Old 06-11-2002, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by Redmax
Otherwise i've had quite a bit of experience with MTX amps and they seem to shut down, i think faster than other amps, because of overheating.
i have a blue thunder pro 400x5, and the sub channel is rated to 2 ohm. im running it on a 1 ohm sub (actually a very low 1 ohm, cuz the DCR is .65 ohm). i played it thrashed it for 1/2 hr straight, and it was only about 5 degrees above ambient. i have it mounted on the side of the box, in a small space with little ventilation.

i also have a friend with a thunder 2300x, and he's had his shut off 1 time b/c he was running it hard on a 95*+ day (and a dark colored car), and had it in a VERY poorly ventilated area. it hasnt shut off since.

not to flame, but how is that shutting down faster than other amps?

eric
Old 06-12-2002, 07:43 AM
Redlinemax Owner

I have a 2300x and have talked to many people that have these amps (search Sounddomain.com) and have found a conscensus of people that say this amp shuts down quicker than their other amps. My amp wworked decently and of course hit hard but if i went on a 4 hour trip I'd have to shut the radio off because it needed cooling. My other amps in the car would run just fine!the amp is mounted in a very well ventilated amp rack in the middle of my trunk floor. Its now sitting in my garage collecting dust!!
Old 06-13-2002, 08:09 AM
jmax

Actually, the box does affect impedance. But not the speakers nominal impedance. This is the whole idea behind the aperiodic membrane, smoothing out the impedance curve over the operating range of the sub. But I don't think this is the solution for your problem.

Your amp is likely overheating from the low impedance. But, it could be overheating from low voltage. A low voltage signal will require higher amperage. A higher amperage of current going through the power wires will heat up the wires and the amp at a good rate. But that amp is only designed for as low as 2 ohms nominal. Check your volage at the amp when it is first powered up and keep checking as it heats up. Does it drop below 12.5 volts? Redmax, I know someone who may be interested in that amp.