Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

4th Gen Bose - options for a new head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 08:23 AM

4th Gen Bose - options for a new head unit?

I'm not an audiophile, so take it easy on me.

I have a '96 Max with a Bose HU thats going bad. I want a BETTER HU and I do understand that the Bose is not compatible with most other stereos and it has a HU, amp and non standard speakers.

I heard a guy here that used a '98 Max HU in a 4th gen. Will that work? He said it was just plug n play. If so, whats the part # for it? Whats it look like?

He also said that a Clarion mod DXZ815MP was a direct install. I can't seem to find that model anywhere, are there others that would just pop in too? (I assume that it fits in the dash without adapting it?)

I have found this adapter, powerdriver PD4 for like 150 bucks. Any input on how these perform? Good idea to get or skip it?

Any other options that let me keep my bose speakers and amp(s)?

Is it true that any system that has a non amplified audio out will work? Any info on how easy a new unit goes in the existing dash hole would help too.

I'm not a real head banger and don't need 100s of watts, but I would like a nice radio that does what the Bose was supposed to, and I'm not afraid to put out some $ to get one, just need to know what my options are.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You must be talking about me

Here are some answers;

Any 95-99 Bose HU will work in any 4th gen. A guy at the NE meet put my 98 Bose HU into his 96 Bose system, plugged it in and that's it. If I were you, I'd look in the for sale section for someone getting rid of their 99 Bose HU. It's the prettiest one. the 98 was cool looking too, if I say so myself

Clarion does not make the 815 anymore. It's been replaced by another newer model, iforget the model number. Anyhow, the Clarion 815 is not specially made for Bose, it is just a standard DIN sized stereo just like all the JVC, Alpine, PIONEERs etc out there. You can put any of those systems in your Bose setup once you get a Bose adapter. I got a pretty expensive one, the PD-4 from www.linkmeup.com. but you can get others. In fact, the guy who has my old HU used one of those cheaper ones. It didn't sound half bad at all. And he had a sub-woofer in the trunk. You knew his systemn had something extra the moment the bass started kicking!

To find other Bose adapters, do a search for LOC, or line output converter and bose, using google or other search engine. A whole bunch should pop up. Or, look at sounddomain.com or look at the LOC also at www.linmeup.com.

HTH

DW
Old 06-24-2002, 07:03 AM

Thanks, I guess it was you.

Thanks for all the input. I want to know my options before I decide. I guess the PD-4 is a real option for me then, I'll consider it. The '98 or '99 HU might be a plan as well. Thanks again, man! Ya gotta love the 'org!