Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

sound dampening/dynamat

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 03:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sound dampening/dynamat

Hi,

Just seeing (besides the spray foam) what is the cheapest online store I can find dynamat or similar product. Thanks!

Sam
Old 06-24-2002, 07:24 PM
Redlinemax Owner

talk to pearl96max he may be able to help
Old 06-25-2002, 12:18 AM

www.edesignaudio.com/edead.htm

eric
Old 06-25-2002, 02:26 PM
jmax

You can find a material called "Peal and Seal" at Lowes in the roofing section. Generally it is less than $1 per square foot, or a fraction of the cost of equivalent dynamat extreme.

Or email Rick, owner originator of Raam Mat. raam@raamaudio.com
Also, you can find his material on Ebay. Look for RAAMmat.

Old 06-27-2002, 09:51 AM

Hey,

Thanks for the suggesttons! So how close is Peal and Seal (the effectivness) compared to dynamat.

Sam
Old 06-27-2002, 01:58 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by toucansma
Hey,

Thanks for the suggesttons! So how close is Peal and Seal (the effectivness) compared to dynamat.

Sam
if you can manage to put it on correctly, it will stay on and works well. i used it and it has not eliminated the rattles completely, but i didn't use on the top of the deck, just the bottom. now since it is a roofing material, some ppl say it will start smelling like tar in the summer. i have yet to smell anything bad. it is definatley cheaper. if you use a heat gun and a roller it will stick just fine and you can probably do the whole trunk and both sides of the deck lid for around 70 bucks..
Old 06-27-2002, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by dba1999us

if you can manage to put it on correctly, it will stay on and works well. i used it and it has not eliminated the rattles completely, but i didn't use on the top of the deck, just the bottom. now since it is a roofing material, some ppl say it will start smelling like tar in the summer. i have yet to smell anything bad. it is definatley cheaper. if you use a heat gun and a roller it will stick just fine and you can probably do the whole trunk and both sides of the deck lid for around 70 bucks..
well i have dynamat extreme and you can DEFINTELY smell it (smells like tar) if i had known about this roofing stuff i would have tried it instead of paying out the **** for dynamat.

Trevor
Old 06-27-2002, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
well i have dynamat extreme and you can DEFINTELY smell it (smells like tar) if i had known about this roofing stuff i would have tried it instead of paying out the **** for dynamat.

Trevor
Dynamat Extreme
I did the roof, a couple layers on the doors and the trunk and the rear decklid and it didn't smell one bit.

I imagine that the roofing stuff would smell more like tar than the stuff that is made for your car. But who knows, I've never used that roofing stuff.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by cwally

Dynamat Extreme
I did the roof, a couple layers on the doors and the trunk and the rear decklid and it didn't smell one bit.

I imagine that the roofing stuff would smell more like tar than the stuff that is made for your car. But who knows, I've never used that roofing stuff.
ok i just though about it for a minute. dynamat extreme is the stuff with the metallic coating so it doesn't smell BUT i bought a trunk "kit" and it came with the regular dynamat as well (for the spare tire well) so that must be what im smelling since it has no metallic coating.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:23 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed

Trevor
the PEEL and SEEL doesn't smell at all. It has been around 92 degrees here in Indy and i have been checking it regularly for smells...nope nothing yet. now i did have a small piece of Dynamat extreme, one of the differences between the two is definately in thickness..PEEL and SEEL isn't as thick, but enough of the stuff and i bet it will do the same as dynamat and be much cheaper
Old 06-28-2002, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by dba1999us
the PEEL and SEEL doesn't smell at all. It has been around 92 degrees here in Indy and i have been checking it regularly for smells...nope nothing yet. now i did have a small piece of Dynamat extreme, one of the differences between the two is definately in thickness..PEEL and SEEL isn't as thick, but enough of the stuff and i bet it will do the same as dynamat and be much cheaper
Peel and Seal is 1/5th the price of Dynamat. That right there should seal (no pun intended) the argument. It's only the same thickness as regular dynamat (not extreme). Big deal. Two layers of Peel and Seal are going to work better than 1 of Dynmat Extreme and still costs a lot less.

It doesn't smell like TAR or anything and it sticks really well. I'm not sure why someone said you need a roller and a heat gun. The roller is good, but the heat gun is certainly not needed. The stuff really sticks.

There also seems to be a common misconception going on here. Dynamat and the like are designed to stop resonances, not reduce noise. Sure they reduce noise some, but they're really just supposed to resonances. If you're looking to kill off road noise you should be looking at Lcomp or Vcomp which are rated to do 20dB of NR.

Stereodude
Old 06-28-2002, 08:22 AM
jmax

The dynamat, raam mat, peal and seal all use a viscoelastic rubber adhesive. Maybe not all the same adhesive, but similar in function. The adhesive damps vibration and the aluminum surface acts as a barrier. The difference in thickness is 1/8th. The Dynamat extreme and Raam mat use 45 mils of adhesive and the Peal and Seal uses 40 mils adhesive. 8 layers of the raam mat or dyna - extreme are as thick as 9 layers of peal & seal. I have had Peal & Seal in my and in my wifes' car's for nearly a year, it does not smell. It is not the end all, but it works wonders some areas. Other areas are better left to other materials, with other properties. Like carpet padding to absord unwanted sound energy.

Old 06-28-2002, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by jmax
Like carpet padding to absord unwanted sound energy.
I just bought some Lcomp from B-quiet. Hopefully it'll silence my trunk.

Stereodude
Old 06-29-2002, 11:20 AM

Lcomp or Vcomp? I don't think there is ANY product on the market that will reduce road/wind/engine noise by 20db. You have no idea how big of a difference that would make. You practically would not be able to hear anything inside your car.
Can you tell me more about these products?

Anton
Old 06-29-2002, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
Lcomp or Vcomp? I don't think there is ANY product on the market that will reduce road/wind/engine noise by 20db.
Anton
You're right...there's not. Was that a typo, Stereodude?

Tony
Old 06-29-2002, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes
You're right...there's not. Was that a typo, Stereodude?

Tony
No Typo.

From http://www.b-quiet.com/lcomp.html
Lcomp Transmission Loss, in dB:
17 @ 125Hz
21 @ 250Hz
24 @ 500Hz
32 @ 1KHz
34 @ 2KHz
36 @ 4KHz
STC = 30

From http://www.b-quiet.com/vcomp.html
Vcomp Transmission Loss, in dB:
15 @ 125Hz
17 @ 250Hz
21 @ 500Hz
28 @ 1KHz
34 @ 2KHz
37 @ 4KHz
STC = 27

Stereodude
Old 06-30-2002, 12:20 AM
jmax

What is important to remember that there is no mention of the scientific method used to derive these numbers. It may even be possible to duplicate these numbers, in a lab. But if you expect to use these numbers in a car look for numbers like DLF, NRC, or STC - Damping Loss Factor, Noise Reduction Coeficient, Sound Transmission Class. And expect the numbers to be much less impressive.

Old 06-30-2002, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by jmax
What is important to remember that there is no mention of the scientific method used to derive these numbers. It may even be possible to duplicate these numbers, in a lab. But if you expect to use these numbers in a car look for numbers like DLF, NRC, or STC - Damping Loss Factor, Noise Reduction Coeficient, Sound Transmission Class. And expect the numbers to be much less impressive.
Umm I see a STC # for both.

Stereodude
Old 06-30-2002, 08:27 AM
jmax

Originally posted by Stereodude
Umm I see a STC # for both.

Stereodude
Yes, and that number can easily be compared to numbers on products. It would have been more beneficial if they had included at least two of these numbers so the product could be evaluated on more than one level. Don't forget, there are three dimensions in space alone. So we need as much data as is available to come close to an accurate evaluation. Unless we have a lab setup in our home and enough money to purchase samples of every available product. The STC's listed are comparable to other vynil and lead barrier materials combined with insulation material.