Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

JBL 15" GTi Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 07:01 PM
Sin

JBL 15" GTi Subwoofer

This is the link to the sub.

http://www.jbl.com/car/GTi/newproduc...at=SUB&ser=GTI

I'm just wondering if anyone is running this, or has heard it before, and any experiences they may have had with it.

I may be able to get one for a good price, and just want some personal experiences with it.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:00 PM

Re: JBL 15" GTi Subwoofer

Originally posted by Sin
This is the link to the sub.

http://www.jbl.com/car/GTi/newproduc...at=SUB&ser=GTI

I'm just wondering if anyone is running this, or has heard it before, and any experiences they may have had with it.

I may be able to get one for a good price, and just want some personal experiences with it.
I hope you have the juice to drive it!! I was reading over the specs, and it seems power hungry. Seems like a 15" would be overkill, but as long as you have room for the box it needs and have the power, it seems ok. If I had that much to spend, I would probably have to go after the high end JL Audio subs. I've heard them and they go so low it hurts!

Post your progress!!
Old 07-05-2002, 08:48 PM
Sin

Re: Re: JBL 15" GTi Subwoofer

Originally posted by Sting_NC_'01Max

I hope you have the juice to drive it!! I was reading over the specs, and it seems power hungry. Seems like a 15" would be overkill, but as long as you have room for the box it needs and have the power, it seems ok. If I had that much to spend, I would probably have to go after the high end JL Audio subs. I've heard them and they go so low it hurts!

Post your progress!!
It will probably be driven by a 1000-1500W competition class amp. The thing is, I used to run 2, 12" Pioneer IMPP subs with a ~600W Alpine amp in my old Volvo. It was a great system, and did 80% of what I wanted it too. I just want to go big and not look back with my Maxima.

It is power hungry, and that's only because it's retardedly powerful. I was going over to a friends house one day, and from abotu 100m away, I could hear (actually feel) the sub. He was powering it with a 500W Soundstream amp (the Davinci) from his basement! Inside his GTP, it blurred my vision!

Another reason I want overkill is because I keep hearing how maxima trunks are really sub deadening.

And yes, the box will take up a tonne of space. An optimal box for this sub powered at its optimal will be about 7 cubic feet in internal volume. It will require atleast 1.5" thick MDF for the box to prevent cracking. The box will probably weigh a tonne. So I'm gonna have tobe creative about my box to maintain atleast some trunk space.

I've always liked this sub, but couldn't afford it. But I may be able to get this MSRP $1100 US sub for $300 Can slightly used.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:17 AM
no more maxima...

Re: Re: Re: JBL 15" GTi Subwoofer

pioneer impp's?....there is a huge huge huge difference between those jbl's and those impp's...that being the jbl is far superior. i hear they are expensive though...you should consider getting one adire audio brhama (i am not sure if that is how it is spelt) and port it in a nice big box @ around 35hz, and run it off of a jbl bp1200.1....that will give you heart stopping bass.

Originally posted by Sin

It will probably be driven by a 1000-1500W competition class amp. The thing is, I used to run 2, 12" Pioneer IMPP subs with a ~600W Alpine amp in my old Volvo. It was a great system, and did 80% of what I wanted it too. I just want to go big and not look back with my Maxima.

It is power hungry, and that's only because it's retardedly powerful. I was going over to a friends house one day, and from abotu 100m away, I could hear (actually feel) the sub. He was powering it with a 500W Soundstream amp (the Davinci) from his basement! Inside his GTP, it blurred my vision!

Another reason I want overkill is because I keep hearing how maxima trunks are really sub deadening.

And yes, the box will take up a tonne of space. An optimal box for this sub powered at its optimal will be about 7 cubic feet in internal volume. It will require atleast 1.5" thick MDF for the box to prevent cracking. The box will probably weigh a tonne. So I'm gonna have tobe creative about my box to maintain atleast some trunk space.

I've always liked this sub, but couldn't afford it. But I may be able to get this MSRP $1100 US sub for $300 Can slightly used.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: JBL 15" GTi Subwoofer

Originally posted by Sin

Wow! That's a significant deal! Sounds like you are aware of what you want, I just wanted to ensure you knew what was involved with a piece of equipment that substantial. Good Luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 07-06-2002, 08:36 AM
jmax

A Brahma brand new will only cost a small amount more. And the optimal box volume is less than half that of the JBL. Sounds like an easy decision to me.

If you want to find one used, go to the for sale forum on www.teamamp.com - or ebay.

Old 07-06-2002, 11:51 AM
Sin

Too Late

Bought it today. Got it, and a 500W Soundstream 2 channel amp for $600 Can.

In a WAY undersized box, it was still tearing my Volvo a part. I can't imagine how it'll sound in my Maxima, in a properly tuned box, with about 3 times the volume.