Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Who says 6th Gen Maximas aren't performance cars???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Who says 6th Gen Maximas aren't performance cars???

I am back from the 2006 Lone Pine Time Trials. I have been modding my car for more than a year, but i havent really done a lot of radical mods to the motor or suspension - intake, cat back exhaust, springs and rear sway bar, 300zx brakes . . oh yeah, reflashing ECU . .but we arent talking turbo here!! I havent had much of a chance to REALLY wring out the car to see what it can do . . until this weekend. All I can say is WOW. BIG WOW. You guys really have no idea what this car can do. It absolutely dazzled me and everyone else at the time trials. How good is a 6th gen Maxima in the performance department? Out of over 60 cars, I placed 3rd . . . .3rd TOP TIME OF DAY!!!!! Thats right. I won my class against some superb drivers, guys I have known over 20 years. One guy has been an driving instructor for over 25 years for BMW amd is a great driver and a gentleman. In case ur curious, the two cars that beat me were a go kart and a fully modified 2nd gen RX7 with HUGE slicks . . and they beat me by a couple seconds. And they are both very experienced drivers. Some examples of cars I beat among the over 60 entrants were a CSP 350Z, gutted, loud and fast-looking, BMW M3, V-8 powered 280Z, several 2002 and 320i BMWs, Subaru WRX Sti etc.(all driven by exeprienced drivers).

I give most of the credit to the Maxima. It was amazing. Until I just blatantly drove the wrong line and hit the "marbles" did it spin out on me. Had I not spun, I would likely had top time of day. The performance capabilities of this car is truly astounding. I only race once a year now, so in the hands of a really capable driver, Id really love to see the 6th gen in action.

We can all take a freeway ramp or mountain curve fast, but you guys dont see the true potential of this car until you race it in an organized meet, like a time trial, autocross or road race. When I was done with each run, it left me breathless and amazed and grinning like u cant believe. After each run, my kids came running over and told me how fast the car looked and how low the times were. Other drivers gave me similar comments, including how incredible it sounded. I just had to share with you guys. Hopefully the moderators wont move this thread as its very relevant to the 6th gen forum and NOT the autoX forum.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:08 PM
.org extraordinaire

Atta boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm telling you DEUS this thing has pottential.

This site has some pics of my ride chasing down a TT Supra done up to the ti*s.

http://www.spectrophotography.ca/Han..._MorningII.htm

Chased him all day and last lap of last session I was on his tail. He punched it hard and his back end kicked out and his front end kicked the pit lane wall.

Look over the pics.

Kamski
Old 05-21-2006, 08:18 PM

Sweet Dues!!!!! Good to know your out there representing the max strong!!!
Old 05-21-2006, 09:06 PM

Nice going Deus...way to make us proud!

Kamil, noticed you're from Whitby ON. I used to live in TO from '82 - '86...and I know where Whitby is! Tell me has the weather there been as bad as it has here in Montreal? It has been pissing every day for the last 10 days in a row and even the ducks are leaving. Even people that moved here from VAN are moving back! and to top it off people are jumping out of high rises! Sad...very sad! LOL

I like UR lowered ride...nice!

Majestic: I have the same Grille, I like your wheels. I have four questions;

1. Where did you get those yellow fogs? They look cool. Are they durable? I put on Silverstars and they keep blowing.
2. How did you tint the side marker lights?
3. How did you tint the cornering lights?
4. How did you get the Nissan lettering on the front calipers?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2006, 09:07 PM
GOOSE'05

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
oh yeah, reflashing ECU ..
What exactly does this entell and where did you have it done? $$$?? Congrats on the awesome results and keep up the good work.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by GOOSE'05
What exactly does this entell and where did you have it done? $$$?? Congrats on the awesome results and keep up the good work.
Technosquare reflashes our ECU and the result is great. Im not sure if its perfected. Look for the Technosquare thread on here.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:21 PM

good stuff deus im glad to hear that...when you say times you mean 1/4 times or actual track times? if they are 1/4 post them, and if they are actual track numbers post those as well, and id also really like to know where i can run my car on one of those. i would seriosly love too.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:46 AM

pics or videos? congrats on placing 3rd! great way to represent
Old 05-22-2006, 06:26 AM

Pics will be developed, no vids Im sorry to say. My times were low 1:40's for 2/5 mile course going one irection, and 1:30 the next day going the other direction. Keep in mind, that only a couple cars beat me, and by no more than 2-3 seconds.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:31 AM
Moderator GT-R

I am back from the 2006 Lone Pine Time Trials. I have been modding my car for more than a year, but i havent really done a lot of radical mods to the motor or suspension - intake, cat back exhaust, springs and rear sway bar, 300zx brakes . . oh yeah, reflashing ECU . .but we arent talking turbo here!! I havent had much of a chance to REALLY wring out the car to see what it can do . . until this weekend. All I can say is WOW. BIG WOW. You guys really have no idea what this car can do. It absolutely dazzled me and everyone else at the time trials. How good is a 6th gen Maxima in the performance department? Out of over 60 cars, I placed 3rd . . . .3rd TOP TIME OF DAY!!!!! Thats right. I won my class against some superb drivers, guys I have known over 20 years. One guy has been an driving instructor for over 25 years for BMW amd is a great driver and a gentleman. In case ur curious, the two cars that beat me were a go kart and a fully modified 2nd gen RX7 with HUGE slicks . . and they beat me by a couple seconds. And they are both very experienced drivers. Some examples of cars I beat among the over 60 entrants were a CSP 350Z, gutted, loud and fast-looking, BMW M3, V-8 powered 280Z, several 2002 and 320i BMWs, Subaru WRX Sti etc.(all driven by exeprienced drivers).

I give most of the credit to the Maxima. It was amazing. Until I just blatantly drove the wrong line and hit the "marbles" did it spin out on me. Had I not spun, I would likely had top time of day. The performance capabilities of this car is truly astounding. I only race once a year now, so in the hands of a really capable driver, Id really love to see the 6th gen in action.

We can all take a freeway ramp or mountain curve fast, but you guys dont see the true potential of this car until you race it in an organized meet, like a time trial, autocross or road race. When I was done with each run, it left me breathless and amazed and grinning like u cant believe. After each run, my kids came running over and told me how fast the car looked and how low the times were. Other drivers gave me similar comments, including how incredible it sounded. I just had to share with you guys. Hopefully the moderators wont move this thread as its very relevant to the 6th gen forum and NOT the autoX forum.
Sounds like a good time to me! Good work.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Not for rookies!!

Great job man!!
Old 05-22-2006, 12:13 PM

deus...you should come out to the autoX's with me...although I will admit, I have no idea where upland is, but we have about one every month at fontana (california speedway), but fair warning, they are much tighter, slower speed autoX's...so it's all about the driver and not the car, as maxima's do very poorly in tight autoX's...which make it even more of a challenge! visit www.solo2.com for schedule and signup info...
Old 05-22-2006, 02:22 PM
this place is dead

I just had to share with you guys. Hopefully the moderators wont move this thread as its very relevant to the 6th gen forum and NOT the autoX forum.
What, no love for the auto-x forum? Seriously though, us that do actually frequent this forum really do enjoy hearing your stories. Do they only do this race once a year, or do you just race once a year?
Old 05-22-2006, 02:41 PM
retired moderator

Hopefully the moderators wont move this thread as its very relevant to the 6th gen forum and NOT the autoX forum.
sounds relevant to the autocross/road racing forum to me
Old 05-22-2006, 05:26 PM

Hopefully the moderators wont move this thread as its very relevant to the 6th gen forum and NOT the autoX forum.

uh too late dude
Old 05-22-2006, 06:45 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by irish44j
sounds relevant to the autocross/road racing forum to me
It looks like they moved the thread...then moved it back...but also left it in the auto-x forum.....??????
Old 05-31-2006, 12:46 PM

i'll be doing my first autoX ever in my 6th gen june 11th - hopefully i won't be too embarrased and can represent the car somewhat decently
Old 06-01-2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
deus...you should come out to the autoX's with me...although I will admit, I have no idea where upland is, but we have about one every month at fontana (california speedway), but fair warning, they are much tighter, slower speed autoX's...so it's all about the driver and not the car, as maxima's do very poorly in tight autoX's...which make it even more of a challenge! visit www.solo2.com for schedule and signup info...
Upland is about 10 miles west of Fontana Speedweay. I am familiar with Solo 2 as I raced solo 2 regularly about 20 years ago, but stopped so I could do road racing with Alfa club. For the last 12 years, the only racing I have done is Lone Pine. I have been trying to get back into autox but time is a problem. Also I dont wanna race the Max that much. I have an 80 RX7 that is up for the task. Just need time
Old 06-13-2006, 03:40 PM

I have been trying to get back into autox but time is a problem. Also I dont wanna race the Max that much. I have an 80 RX7 that is up for the task. Just need time
Bring it out when ever you can. Mike and I are out there almost every event. Somtimes we just need a break. I have been auto-xing my 94 se 5-spd for a while but I bought a 70 240z just for auto-x/ roadracing so I am going to be using that from now on.

check out http://www.maximaclubofcalifornia.com for socal meets. We have not seen your car for a while.

-Larry