Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Partial Chassis foam results and my opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Partial Chassis foam results and my opinions

Well over the winter/spring when I did my engine bay rebuild, chassis foaming the front of the car was part of my project.

http://forums.maxima.org/oldpost.php...65&postcount=7

(click for that for the details on how I did the foaming)

Now that I've driven and raced the car on a road course I would like to post up my opinions and feelings on it. As far as road course cornering is concerned I have to say one word...

UNDERSTEER

The front end is ALOT stiffer and with the original & tired rear suspension/bushings I had a bad feeling that was going to happen. I ran out of time to do the rear suspension before Maxus and got the car on the road 5/26 then left on 5/30.

As for positive results the intial turn in and lane change of this car is amazing, it doesn't feel sloppy and rides alot more smoothly. However I don't believe the foam is 100% responsible for this. I replaced all the bushings with ES ones, replaced every other bushing that ES doesn't make for us, and installed a rebuilt '99 SE steering rack. (carsteering.com)

Also there was no noticeable change with the ES bushings in regards to the ride harness or increased road noise that I hear about. IMO the foam definitly helps quelch alot of these little problems and makes the car overall much more fun to drive.

Another experiment I did was to fill the center crossmember with 8 pound density foam. This was to see if it would stop the vibration from the PR motor mounts I had installed a while back. Suffice to say I've had several people sit in my car and people say it idles like a stock Maxima. The downside is that when the car is not moving and running it smells like burning hash browns. The Y pipe sits to close to the center crossmember and starts to toast the foam. Covering the Y pipe with header wrap stopped the smoke and reduced the smell by alot, but IMO it's not sufficent. Im going to get another crossmember from a junkyard and swap it out for a comparison to the foamed one.

Later on this Summer I will foam the rear of the car and rebuild the suspension to see what difference it would make. As of right now I don't want to even look at my Maxima, were on a trial seperation.

Last edited by Kevlo911; 04-23-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Conecarver

Thanks for posting. I wonder what filling just the rear portion and lower rails would do? Stiffen the heck out everything rear of the CG but keep the front soft..
Old 06-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Im debating if I should use 8 pound density on the back end to make it more stiff, the front I used 4 pound stuff. It just costs alot more and adds a bit more weight. Also this stuff is permenant !!!

Just a mod list of what has been done-

AGX struts (2/8)
Eibach springs
All 4th gen ES bushings
PR motor mounts
WSP 2nd gen stage 1,2,3 SFCs
Filled side mounts with 94a Flexane
Stillen RSB
weight reduction
Old 06-07-2006, 07:11 PM
retired moderator

interesting....I am more interested in the longitudinal rails, myself, to alleviate the severe body flex the 5th gens are cursed with...

too bad you did all the foam, bushings, etc at once - makes it tough to know what did what, and how much effect each thing had. I always try to do one at a time (even when I have 3 things ready to be installed) and at least do a quick testdrive to see the difference individually.

Of course in your case that would have been tough to do!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by irish44j
interesting....I am more interested in the longitudinal rails, myself, to alleviate the severe body flex the 5th gens are cursed with...

too bad you did all the foam, bushings, etc at once - makes it tough to know what did what, and how much effect each thing had. I always try to do one at a time (even when I have 3 things ready to be installed) and at least do a quick testdrive to see the difference individually.

Of course in your case that would have been tough to do!
It's tough to do things one at a time when the engine bay is down to bare metal and has to be back together in a few weeks for Maxus.

Trust me I was going to do coilovers and a full chassis foam but ran out of time and money. But for now im going to do one thing at a time and see how it does.

Also the foam is hidden, sanded, and the imprefections filled with bondo. You auto crossers couldn't tell its there.