Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

2 autocross disasters today...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 07:15 PM
retired moderator

2 autocross disasters today...

About 5 org'ers went to the big Autocrossers Inc. event at Ripken stadium (a favorite SCCA venue around here) today...180-car field and a very nice course. Unfortunately, someone didn't pay attention on their walk through, and someone else paid the price. In addition, someone used poor equipment. The result: 3 wrecked cars, 3 ruined days.

In the morning heat, an Integra had a disaster when his front wheel flew off in the middle of a hard turn. Car dropped to the ground, tearing the front fender virtually off....wheel went rolling at high speed acoss the course, hit a curb several hundred feet away, and flew into a field.

The result: Car will need new front fender and door, and probably new rotors and control arms (if not more)
The culprit: Turns out he was using aluminum lug nuts. They WERE torqued to spec, according to the driver (secondhand information). On a hard turn, they all stripped right off. All 4 of them. He was able to bang the fender back in enough to drive home (with 3 lugs on each wheel...). Hope he made it.

NOW....the big show.
The course today had 2-3 cars on at once. Car #1 would be finishing as the 3rd car was starting. As it was setup, the front slalom out of the start gate was a farily quick on (45+mph for the maxima) and made a 180 degree left turnaround at the end...about 100-150 feet from the side of the finish area at the other side of the lot. Well....as we're standing there watching, a black Celica, dropped low and nicely setup (so it seemed) comes HAULING down the straight. I could see about 1/2 way down he coudl NOT make the turn unless he had a miracle suspension setup. As it turned out, he didn't SEE the turn. Flew right through it, probably going close to 60 (WTF was he looking at? No idea).

As luck would have it, a 240SX was decelerating into the finish area (a VERY long finish) after his first run. We watched, as if in slow motion, as the 240 slowed to about 10mph as he approached the end of the finish area toward the grid lane. At the same time, the Celica was hauling right at him. The 240 had no time to do anything evasive...probably didn't see the Celica coming. The celica driver noticed too late that he had missed the turn and slammed on the brakes maybe 30 feet short of the well-marked finish lane. No joy....he plowed right into the side of the 240, at the rear of the front wheel.

Notes:
- nobody was injured, everyone walked away. That's the MOST important point!!
- the Celica's front end was completely destroyed
- because the Celica was so low to the ground, it actually hit the bottom half of the 240's wheel and lower rocker panel, so the 240 didn't take a full body hit. the 240's front right wheel was at about, um....30 degrees POSITIVE camber after it was hit. The whole front of the car was bent (can't see it well int he pics I took). Neither car was driveable.
- the worst part was that both drivers were from out-of-state, IIRC (New York and Delaware....event was in Maryland)...

OF NOTE:
- The Celica was driven, apparently, by a nationally-ranked driver who has run in the nationals before, for what it's worth, and was running in the PRO STS class........that goes to show that no matter how good you are, or how much experience you might have, that accidents can happen. Nobody is immune to it - not me, not you.
- The 240 was driven by a first-time autocrosser on his first run of the day, from what I heard... THAT SUCKS!!!

The course was setup fine, so no blaming the event organizers, course design, or anyone else. It was pure bad luck + bad timing + one driver who got tunnel vision (that, or mechanical failure?), that's all.

Here's the sad pics:

(rought drawing of what happened)

Old 06-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Need A Light?

damn, must have been a crazy day!!
Old 06-17-2006, 07:37 PM

Don't you guys sign a waiver saying if anything happens the track/autocross personell are not responsible and that insurance is voided???
Old 06-17-2006, 07:38 PM

i like that expert crash reconstruction diagram
Old 06-17-2006, 07:51 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by steven88
damn, must have been a crazy day!!
We also had the top M3 BMW blow up his differential (or so it seemed) and a 2005 Mustang Cobra blow something up too, and had to be hauled away on a flatbed. Luckily, all of the maximas escaped unscathed and undamaged (except for George's standard 1quart per hour oil leak )

Originally Posted by Brushedpewter
Don't you guys sign a waiver saying if anything happens the track/autocross personell are not responsible and that insurance is voided???
Yes, somethign to that effect. Same as teh SCCA waiver. The only interesting thing is that after the crash, they added a whole LINE of cones to designate the turn, whereas only 2-4 cones were marking it beforehand. I think is was just some extra precaution, because the turn looked fine to me. Still, I don't think there's a liability issue. Nobody else missed that turn all day (180 cars x 4 runs each).....simply an unfortunate accident, that's all.....

Gabe, that is my mad reconstruction skills in effect, yo!
Old 06-17-2006, 07:51 PM
retired moderator

btw, Gabe et al...will post pics of our cars and others tomorrow in a seperate thread....
Old 06-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wow irish...your brave, the last time we had an accident out by me at an autoX...it was an M3 that hit a pole...and they told us for anyone who is taking photos or video that if we posted it anywhere and they found out, they would ban us for the season (I guess they hate bad publicity)...!

the guy was a newb and lost it on a slalom and hit a poll about 100ft outside of the course...
Old 06-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Driving is the next best thing

That sucks...

Just wondering, how are such accidents handled? Who's paying for the damage, the guy on the Celica? What happens if he refuses to pay; court, police?
Old 06-18-2006, 10:04 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
wow irish...your brave, the last time we had an accident out by me at an autoX...it was an M3 that hit a pole...and they told us for anyone who is taking photos or video that if we posted it anywhere and they found out, they would ban us for the season (I guess they hate bad publicity)...!

the guy was a newb and lost it on a slalom and hit a poll about 100ft outside
of the course...
Yeah, I heard someone say at some point "stop taking pictures" a few minutes after I took mine....I think we've ALL seen the pics of that M3 hitting the pole. It serves as good warning for people to PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU'RE DOING WHEN AUTOCROSSING.

Edit: the person was NOT an AI staff member - just some random lady

It doesn't really matter, at least 2 people got the accident itself on video, and neither of those people were even in the event, just friends of drivers.

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Just wondering, how are such accidents handled? Who's paying for the damage, the guy on the Celica? What happens if he refuses to pay; court, police?
I imagine it will be taken care of "off-the-record." I can't see how he could refuse to pay - the 240 did NOTHING wrong, was going 10mph decelerating into the pit area. Over 600 runs were made that day and NOBODY else missed that turn (a few cut it too short, but none too long), so the Celica has no excuse. Since he's a national-level driver (was Pro class) I assume he'll make things right. He'd never be able to show his face again at an autocross if he tried to screw the 240 guy....
Old 06-18-2006, 12:54 PM

I do hope the celica driver pays for the 240sx car. I don't like these kinds of events because it can get very messy. Especially the fact that insurance doesn't work when you are involved in these events. I'd love to watch but I'm not doing any kind of racing anymore.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:26 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Brushedpewter
I do hope the celica driver pays for the 240sx car. I don't like these kinds of events because it can get very messy. Especially the fact that insurance doesn't work when you are involved in these events. I'd love to watch but I'm not doing any kind of racing anymore.
I've been to probably 100 autocross events over the years (running or watching) and this is the first time I've ever seen a 2-car collision. I've seen a car or two sideswipe a curb or go off into the grass, and one other time have seen a car's wheel come off - but other than that, events are VERY safe for the cars involved. This guy made a monster error that even the most newbie drivers didn't make. No idea what was in his head, but it shouldn't sour people on autocross......There is 100 times the chance that you will wreck your car on the street compared to an autocross event.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:36 PM

very true! of all my autoX events, the only one with an incident was with that M3...never seen anything happen again...
Old 06-19-2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Yeah, I heard someone say at some point "stop taking pictures" a few minutes after I took mine....I think we've ALL seen the pics of that M3 hitting the pole. In any case, I'm not an Autocrossers, Inc. member and if they want to try to "ban" be....whooptie doo. I'll just register using a different name or something I'm only running 1 other event with them this summer anyhow, that I can think of.

It doesn't really matter, at least 2 people got the accident itself on video, and neither of those people were even in the event, just friends of drivers.

I imagine it will be taken care of "off-the-record." I can't see how he could refuse to pay - the 240 did NOTHING wrong, was going 10mph decelerating into the pit area. Over 600 runs were made that day and NOBODY else missed that turn (a few cut it too short, but none too long), so the Celica has no excuse. Since he's a national-level driver (was Pro class) I assume he'll make things right. He'd never be able to show his face again at an autocross if he tried to screw the 240 guy....
Well, I doubt it was an Autocrossers Inc. member who asked you to stop (I'm the VP of the club), and we certainly wouldn't use such a stupid reason to ban someone. I was chief of safety for the event and I have no problem with the pics. Bad things happened and there's no hiding from it. Obviously I had a very busy day. I would be interested if you know anyone with a video of the incident, I need to make a report and I need all the information I can get.

Yes there is a liability waiver which indemnifies the lot owners, event officials, and the SCCA and club as a whole against liability. The property damage is between the two car owners to settle, we don't get involved.

<Comment deleted due to incorrect assumption on my part>
Old 06-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd like to say that we didn't add the extra "pointer" cones after this incident. We added them later in the day because a few people were going the wrong way around the gate after they turned left.
As a note, those cone were added immediatly following the accident.
The pointer cones I am referencing was the row of about 8-10, directly to the left of the first outside cones in the 180deg turn.

Again these cones were added to the course before the two cars were removed from the course. I will gladly state it again.

I would suggest not make false statements as a representitive of the club. It is probably in yours and the clubs best interest to not make any statements, unless through an attorney. But hey, thats just my opinion. There was a family there with a video camera setup in a position to record the entire incident. Whether they recorded or not, I do not know.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:35 AM

well I think they told us to not post any pics or vids cause of the bad publicity, they didn't want new comers to be turned off to autoX'ing by a one time accident which is extremely rare...
Old 06-19-2006, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by teflontb
The pointer cones I am referencing was the row of about 8-10, directly to the left of the first outside cones in the 180deg turn.

Again these cones were added to the course before the two cars were removed from the course. I will gladly state it again.

Yeah the pointer cones were placed immediately after the accident before any other cars ran, in fact you can see where there are no cones in that turn in the second pic, the cones were placed a little past where the man in the red shirt is standing
Old 06-19-2006, 10:04 AM

I would suggest not make false statements as a representitive of the club. It is probably in yours and the clubs best interest to not make any statements, unless through an attorney. But hey, thats just my opinion. There was a family there with a video camera setup in a position to record the entire incident. Whether they recorded or not, I do not know.
No false statements here. I'm a member of Maxima.org and I'm just making general statements. In this case, you and I are talking about different cones, that's all.

Relax.

FWIW I've been autocrossing since 1993, and this is the first time this has happened at an event I attended.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:35 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by BigEnos
No false statements here. I'm a member of Maxima.org and I'm just making general statements. In this case, you and I are talking about different cones, that's all.

Relax.

FWIW I've been autocrossing since 1993, and this is the first time this has happened at an event I attended.
no worries - I thought the event was run very professionally, and there was NOTHING unsafe about it at all! - and went smoother than most SCCA events I've been to at Ripken. The new directional cones outside of the turn were added while the wreck was still on the course, but I'm not suggesting that they were necessary. Nobody else in the morning seemed to be having any trouble with that turn, even the Novice class guys were seeing it fine. The celica driver probably just got "tunnel vision" and screwed up - plain and simple. He went *****-out from the start and obviously didn't pay enough attention during walk-through....

DEFINITELY not a reflection of Autocrossers, Inc - I think the events are well-run and alot of fun (now, if they would ban TEAL HONDA CIVICs I would be happier, haha). **** happens sometimes, on the track, on the street, at the autocross....The only way to avoid it is not to have any cars!

VIDEO- I'm pretty sure that a video was taken. It was not 50 feet away, being filmed by the big family of..um..."southerners" with the loud children and the "plenty of yelling" - they were watching their son (I assume) who had a silver Integra with a big black wing on the back and "red chrome" windshield wipers (I don't recall the car number or class). I'm pretty sure he was filming when it happened right in front of him (I was standing about 5 feet to his left).
Old 06-19-2006, 02:36 PM
retired moderator

is that you, Clayton? :noob:
Old 06-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

who's the noob that brought home a cup
Old 06-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Wild for Width

Cripes!!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

At least no one was hurt. Bet that made a loud crunch noise =\
Old 06-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by irish44j
(except for George's standard 1quart per hour oil leak )
Just to set the record straight: I didn't leak oil on the track BEFORE the accident!

or after, for that matter. It doesn't leak, it burns!
Old 06-30-2006, 11:10 AM

I am just amazed that Celica hit hte 240 so hard he broke off one spoke on hte front wheels.