Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Event #1 - Chicago Region SCCA Solo2 AutoX

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Fire in the hole!

Event #1 - Chicago Region SCCA Solo2 AutoX

... is only 4 days away!!!

Woot!

174 registered drivers, out of a possible 170. 4 ppl are on a wait list.

Looks like BEJAY1 and I will be the only ones vying for the "Fastest Maxima" at the event....

Hope he eats his wheaties.

--Evan
Old 04-12-2007, 04:41 PM

I'm so happy I live in FL this is from event #4
Old 04-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Fire in the hole!

looks like you were not set up for the next gate at all... more of a drift run, than a timed run?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:51 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by z32drifter
you clearly don't know how to drive

Old 04-13-2007, 06:48 PM

I should have added the "3rd gear might not have been the best choice" comment to the picture. I was on the fun (rev) limiter the previous run before the finish.... so I decided to shift on my final run. I'm just glad I didn't take out the finish lights or flat spot my race rubber. Cone count was 8 since pointers don't count, not my fastest run...lol. I ended up 7th in the PAX for the 3rd event in a row, would like to stay in the top 5 but there are some fast guys in my area.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Fire in the hole!

I.
Got.
SMOKED.

First event on coilovers, 60K mile all-season tires, and a sh*tload of over-driving the car put me at the back of the pack. For the most part, the car was fairly dialed in. There's only so much you can do with ContiTouringContact 205/60-16 tires. Race rubber would have gotten me into the 50's, maybe 49's. Instead, my best time was 54.309 clean. Times were anywhere from 44 to 58's today. Since I was in S-EP, I was in the Street Tire class, with an EP index. Going against GS and HS cars with street tires too kinda bit me in the *** in the index.

But, I had a LOT of fun. That's what it's all about.

BTW, 197 drivers FTMFL. Today took FOREVER. Registration/Check-in/Tech started at 7am. First car was out at 9:30am. Event was over at 6:00pm. 5 runs. It was a LONG day of racing, that's for sure.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:52 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Chefasaurus
I.
Got.
SMOKED.

First event on coilovers, 60K mile all-season tires, and a sh*tload of over-driving the car put me at the back of the pack. For the most part, the car was fairly dialed in. There's only so much you can do with ContiTouringContact 205/60-16 tires. Race rubber would have gotten me into the 50's, maybe 49's. Instead, my best time was 54.309 clean. Times were anywhere from 44 to 58's today. Since I was in S-EP, I was in the Street Tire class, with an EP index. Going against GS and HS cars with street tires too kinda bit me in the *** in the index.

But, I had a LOT of fun. That's what it's all about.

BTW, 197 drivers FTMFL. Today took FOREVER. Registration/Check-in/Tech started at 7am. First car was out at 9:30am. Event was over at 6:00pm. 5 runs. It was a LONG day of racing, that's for sure.
nice.....as long as you had fun, that's what really matters. Throwing the maxima around a course takes some practice and some adjustments, that's for sure..

How'd Brian do?
Old 04-15-2007, 07:53 PM
retired moderator

I'm just glad I didn't take out the finish lights or flat spot my race rubber..
We had a guy in an STI-swapped Subaru SVX (the funky one with the small windows), who launched too hard out of a turning start and took out the START lights. Then he almost did it AGAIN on his second run. Absolutely hilarious, but the time spent fixing all the timing equipment probably made be get gypped out of a run, dammit!
Old 04-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Fire in the hole!

49-51 all day long. I think he got 4th in STS.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:23 AM
this place is dead

I've been to Gainesville numerous times...I don't envy you at all....

where I live, no bugs, I can ski, I can walk outside in the summer, I don't have to worry about tornadoes, I don't have to worry about the odd hurricane that cuts accross the state, fire ants can't live up here, I can drive 4 hours and be in multiple places...not just Miami, and Daytona doesn't count, etc..etc..etc..

If you're on the water, like in Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater...well then I would envy you a little.....
Old 04-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Conecarver

Nice to have met you Evan! Yes that was a long day but sorta typical for Chicago events (~1000 runs/day). With your aggressive driving style you need MUCH wider than 205's to get moving in the right direction. 275's perhaps I was in the van 4th heat and watched you light em up good at the start. Sorry again bout the struts blowing.

I took 50th on index and 2nd in class (.3 back from first). Not bad for my 2nd time out in the past 18 months. It was close; not showing in the STS results is first place Greg's third run of 49.8 being thrown out when he got a rerun. That next run proved to be his fastest of the day. I know with either an extra run, or better tires I could've gone deep into the 48's myself. It was decent weather and overall a fast "high speed" course. I know I was almost on the revlimiter on that backstraight.

Here's all the results.
Event #1 Class results
Event #1 Index results

Only pics I've found so far
Evan at the start
Brian 4th row up in grid
Old 04-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Fire in the hole!

Yeah, I neglected to mention in my previous post about BOTH of my rear KSports blowing. Sucks. But, they're under warranty. I've only had them a month, and under 1500 miles. Manufacturer's defect.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Fire in the hole!

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Nice to have met you Evan! Yes that was a long day but sorta typical for Chicago events (~1000 runs/day). With your aggressive driving style you need MUCH wider than 205's to get moving in the right direction. 275's perhaps I was in the van 4th heat and watched you light em up good at the start. Sorry again bout the struts blowing.

I took 50th on index and 2nd in class (.3 back from first). Not bad for my 2nd time out in the past 18 months. It was close; not showing in the STS results is first place Greg's third run of 49.8 being thrown out when he got a rerun. That next run proved to be his fastest of the day. I know with either an extra run, or better tires I could've gone deep into the 48's myself. It was decent weather and overall a fast "high speed" course. I know I was almost on the revlimiter on that backstraight.

Here's all the results.
Event #1 Class results
Event #1 Index results

Only pics I've found so far
Evan at the start
Brian 4th row up in grid

Really? I was bouncing off of it! Tire spin could have been part of that, though.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by Chefasaurus
Really? I was bouncing off of it! Tire spin could have been part of that, though.
Unless you had your throttle wide open on the turn it might've been for real. IIRC your Conit's were near full tread. With stock ECU you were doing 71mph to bounce the limiter. That's a nice trap speed exiting a slalom and coming into a right hander. I didn't even bounce 65mph at that point.