Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

New Jersey Motorsports Park

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

New Jersey Motorsports Park

Just got back from a two day event at NJMP with the Maxima. I was running with the SVT Cobra Mustang club. It is a brand new track/facility and definitly worth checking out if you are in the area.

A friend of mine with a Cobra invited me and I figured what the hell. Suffice to say my car was the odd ball out. However as always it rasies eyebrows and does a pretty good job of running with real sports cars.

There were a few off track cars and plenty of carnage to keep it interesting. There were two confirmed engine failures and a few cars out on the field with the yellow flag out. I managed to stay on track both days but lost my clear corner lamp on the left side. It got spit out of the bumper under the hard braking and hanged by the wires for a few seconds then ripped off. Track workers found it in the grass off the side of the back straight and gave it back to me. Definitly a good trophy for me to keep.

Also managed to seize some of the front wheel lugs to the studs and had to drive home with the R-compouds and track pads. I did a number on the two piece '04 rotors as well, they have to be turned if possible. There is too much heat and air stagnation in the hub and brake area and im thinking of running ducts from the corner lamp or foglight area to the brake rotors. Has anyone ever done this on a Maxima and can give any idea how to do this? The advanced Mustang track guys all have brake ducting and swear by it so im wondering if it would work on my car seeing as the front of a FWD do 70~80% of the work.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Got around to replacing the stripped out front NISMO wheel studs with these...

ARP wheel studs - M12 x 1.5 pitch x 75 mm

If I damage these im doing something wrong.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:39 PM
VQ30 DE T

Thats funny because my neighbor just invited me to that track.
My car is not set up for a road coarse but I told him I will be out there next year. I have stock calipers ss lines brembo slotted dimpled rotors/metalic pads/ ksports & Z32 wraped in 245 50 16 ventura hr II's.

Hes going in oct so im thinking of riding shotgun for the experiance
in a porsche carrera
Old 09-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by accordingtou
Thats funny because my neighbor just invited me to that track.
My car is not set up for a road coarse but I told him I will be out there next year. I have stock calipers ss lines brembo slotted dimpled rotors/metalic pads/ ksports & Z32 wraped in 245 50 16 ventura hr II's.

Hes going in oct so im thinking of riding shotgun for the experiance
in a porsche carrera
Which track? There are two seperate race tracks down there Thunderbolt and Lightning. Both are pretty good and fast if driven with the proper line. I would dial in at least -1.5 static camber on your Ksports. The front end of the Max struggles for grip on most of the turns. Especially on turn 5 at the Lightning Raceway, it upsets many FWD cars. On my car the Stillen plates were set to -1.4 in July then I went back on Sept 14-15 set to maximum negative camber which ended up being -2.1. The car felt pretty good and almost neutral on turns.

I wouldn't worry about breaking wheel studs unless you end up running R-compound tires and drive the hell out of it like I do.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'll be there instructing Halloween Weekend with NASA @ Thunderbolt.