Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Trip to MSR-Houston in Sept (56k... ummm. have fun.)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:37 AM
STFU n00b!

Trip to MSR-Houston in Sept (56k... ummm. have fun.)

I'm moving in a couple weeks (again). I'll live less than 10 minutes from this track.

Chasing down Spec Miatae Funnage:

The IT-7 was nice and let us all by at once.

Dammit!! LET ME BY!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:37 AM
STFU n00b!

Momma always told me not to play in traffic. She just didn't know how much fun it was!

Whatever you do on the track, DO NOT EVER DO THIS!!!!!

More pics here, but those were the highlights: http://blehmco.com/pics/track_pics/M...uston/9-20-09/
Old 10-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Very sound, Mike

That red car in the first pick (same one who let you pass) was also there when i last visited (i think). And a gutted out CRX that kept spinning out. lol.

All this track time makes me realize even more that power is nothing unless you can properly put it down. And MSR doesn't seem to be the course that favors power that much.

Can't believe you're moving out of that mansion of yours. LOL! Anything to get closer to a track huh?
Old 10-07-2009, 02:59 PM
STFU n00b!

LOL!
It's no mansion! It's only ~1850sq ft actually. Just has a huge street presence because it's tall and wide- it's just not deep at all. The upstairs is only about 18' deep (one bedroom on either side of the stairs, bathroom in the middle).

I don't know whether I told you about the house situation or not- I'll save that for email or OT of you don't know- but the realtor who sold us the house got caught trying to screw us. we took 'em to court on it. They're buying the house back. Thus the move. I like the area and the neighbors, just not the house!

And back to the topic.. you're exactly right. that yellow Miata in the photos I was running down would usually SMOKE me around that track. I don't know what he was doing that day, but he was 'only' running 1:53-1:55 laps that day. I was running 1:52-1:53 hot laps with about a 1:54 average. That guy's been known to run 1:49s and faster during qualifying and when he's running hard. I guess he was just out cruising or fiddling with setup that day...

Anyway, that NASCAR looking thing has 600+hp and we were running circles around the guy driving it (it's for sale.. guy was test-driving it pre-purchase).. That car DEFINITELY has the potential for some major speed, but it's got to be driven right. No chance when the guy jumps around on the pedals. with that much power, you gotta be smooooooth.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Very sound, Mike

Seriously? I never made it out to your (old) new place, the pictures made it look quite grand. I didn't realize you had issues with the place either. Did they not disclose an issue with the place when you signed the line or something?

I noticed in your vid, did you just time yourself with a wrist-watch? That's a great idea! I need to review my vids and see how well i did, although i don't think i came anywhere near that. Sounds like a good lap time.

Are you done with the 240, or do you have other goodies planned for it?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:39 PM
STFU n00b!

The 240 is just beginning the work.
It's still not even SCCA legal, and I'm going to build it for a pretty open class so I can basically do what I want to the car and still stay class legal. I'll definitely be an underdog in the class, but that'll be part of the challenge!!

The sellers didn't disclose many of the probelms the house had. several "minor" problems they did disclose turned out to be major problems. they also refused to fix things after closing that they said they fixed between inspection and closing and really didn't.
so we had them on about 10 counts of breach of contract, fraud, and deceptive trade practices. it was ugly.

and yes, I just timed myself with a wristwatch. pick an easy to note spot on the track where you have plenty of time to take one hand off the wheel/shifter and go to town. (start/finish would have probably been a better spot, but I picked one of the marker cones from the turnoff instead and I shift right about the start/finish line too IIRC)

I put my watch on top of my gloves to make it easier as well.

I have just a basic Timex Ironman Triathalon with a 30 lap memory on it. they're like $25 at wal mart or something.

Doing it this way isn't incredibly accurate, but you can get within a second or so. And honestly, don't start timing your laps just yet. with your experience, you need to concentrate on making good turns and getting the driving right- don't worry about trying to go fast. be smooth and drive right and the speed will come with that.