Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

First time autocrossing!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 01:50 PM

First time autocrossing!

Had a blast!

Didn't know what to expect taking my car on the crappy street tires, but I was surprised at the times I pulled.

The tech guys ended up putting me in the STO-6 class. This class was for 6 cylinder street tire cars, or turbo 4 cylinder street tire cars.

I ended up running the course in 34.394 seconds and took second place in the STO-6 class. Got a little cone magnet that said 2nd place as a trophy.

I felt pretty good beating some bimmers and 350z's. Everyone was surprised that my car was pulling the times that it was. I drove the hell out of the car and never hit a single cone.

The car that beat me was a wrx. He ran the course in 33.8xx seconds.

Always been a drag racing guy, but this autocross stuff is fun as hell. Now I need to get on a road course.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:52 PM

You're taking the world of autosports by storm, dominating everything you do!!

IMO the 6th gen would be a beast on the road course.... I dont think there are any in KS are there?
Old 04-17-2011, 04:00 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by aackshun

IMO the 6th gen would be a beast on the road course.... I dont think there are any in KS are there?
This one: Drag, dirt, bike and car tracks, drifting, karts .......

http://www.hpt.com/

Old 04-17-2011, 04:45 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by krazy6
Had a blast!

Didn't know what to expect taking my car on the crappy street tires, but I was surprised at the times I pulled.

The tech guys ended up putting me in the STO-6 class. This class was for 6 cylinder street tire cars, or turbo 4 cylinder street tire cars.

I ended up running the course in 34.394 seconds and took second place in the STO-6 class. Got a little cone magnet that said 2nd place as a trophy.

I felt pretty good beating some bimmers and 350z's. Everyone was surprised that my car was pulling the times that it was. I drove the hell out of the car and never hit a single cone.

The car that beat me was a wrx. He ran the course in 33.8xx seconds.

Always been a drag racing guy, but this autocross stuff is fun as hell. Now I need to get on a road course.
nice job....though what kind of classing is that? What club?

Also, no cones is good, but next time cut closer. If you clip a cone or two, it means you're taking the tightest lines you can. No cones means you need to drive even harder

And don't feel bad about losing to wrx's. I occasionally would beat them in my maxima (heavily setup for autocross), but my current wrx is ALOT faster on course than my maxima ever was....and I still lose to alot of better setup wrx's, lol.

heavy + long wheelbase + fwd has inherent limitations for autocross, but is still alot of fun and can be competitive in certain clubs! Tires make a huge difference with maximas though. Typically knock off 2 seconds if you switch from street tires to an aggressive shaved UHP summer, and another 1 or 2 with r-comps!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:47 PM
retired moderator

btw, SCCA autocross nationals are in Topeka, so it would be worth your while to go down there in the fall and watch the REAL fast players with the fully-setup cars run. I'd love to get out there myself, but it's a long way
Old 04-17-2011, 06:11 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by irish44j
btw, SCCA autocross nationals are in Topeka, so it would be worth your while to go down there in the fall and watch the REAL fast players with the fully-setup cars run. I'd love to get out there myself, but it's a long way
And just "down the road" for krazy6........ (and you could make videos for irish44j)... I've been there - it's ballsy what those cars do.

You know, I have a set of four Hoosier track slicks that are 15x12 in good shape. If you could find 10"-12" rims, they're yours and cornering would be scary! (and I already have one pair of M/T ET Drag wheels that are 15x10 - the same wheels on my avatar). Dunno what would mount on your car, but you might be halfway to autocross victory!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun

Thanks man! I try. lol
I want to go to hearland park sometime and road race.
nice job....though what kind of classing is that? What club?

Also, no cones is good, but next time cut closer. If you clip a cone or two, it means you're taking the tightest lines you can. No cones means you need to drive even harder

And don't feel bad about losing to wrx's. I occasionally would beat them in my maxima (heavily setup for autocross), but my current wrx is ALOT faster on course than my maxima ever was....and I still lose to alot of better setup wrx's, lol.

heavy + long wheelbase + fwd has inherent limitations for autocross, but is still alot of fun and can be competitive in certain clubs! Tires make a huge difference with maximas though. Typically knock off 2 seconds if you switch from street tires to an aggressive shaved UHP summer, and another 1 or 2 with r-comps!
Thanks, I don't know much about the classing. It is the salina region of scca.

I felt like I was getting really close to the cones. I was actually surprised I didn't hit any, but I'll get closer next time. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I didn't feel bad losing. He had better tires than me and had auto crossed a lot more than me. So I didn't feel bad losing. lol

I want to get some r-comps but don't have the money. lol

I would definitely like to check that out.
Originally Posted by grey99max
And just "down the road" for krazy6........ (and you could make videos for irish44j)... I've been there - it's ballsy what those cars do.

You know, I have a set of four Hoosier track slicks that are 15x12 in good shape. If you could find 10"-12" rims, they're yours and cornering would be scary! (and I already have one pair of M/T ET Drag wheels that are 15x10 - the same wheels on my avatar). Dunno what would mount on your car, but you might be halfway to autocross victory!
Damn, I would love to have those tires! I don't have a way to fit 15" wheels without downsizing the brakes though. I appreciate the offer!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:50 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

[QUOTE=krazy6;8015146
Damn, I would love to have those tires! I don't have a way to fit 15" wheels without downsizing the brakes though. I appreciate the offer! [/QUOTE]

Well, let's see - I have a pair of BFG drag radials (255/50/16) mounted on ASA 16x7.5 wheels that might fit. I always wanted to hit Heartland Park on a Weekend Warrior track day with those mounted. Bet I could smoke the beemers and porchees with the Shark.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:14 PM

Well, let's see - I have a pair of BFG drag radials (255/50/16) mounted on ASA 16x7.5 wheels that might fit. I always wanted to hit Heartland Park on a Weekend Warrior track day with those mounted. Bet I could smoke the beemers and porchees with the Shark.
I would pay you a rental fee if you let me use those for the import face off at KCIR!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:33 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I would pay you a rental fee if you let me use those for the import face off at KCIR!
Sure that you can't mount the 15" M&H slicks? Either way, you can borrow them for nuthin.... I see that's Sunday May 1, right? I was going to go there and watch, anyway. Let's make a plan.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:27 PM

Sure that you can't mount the 15" M&H slicks? Either way, you can borrow them for nuthin.... I see that's Sunday May 1, right? I was going to go there and watch, anyway. Let's make a plan.
I could try to grind the calipers some more, but don't know how much more I could grind. I'd like to try them anyways. Who knows, they might clear.

Free? Seriously, I appreciate it!

Yeah, it's on May 1st. I'll have to head up there sometime before the race and see what I need to do to make the 15s fit. I think my car would work really well on a 24.5 slick.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:54 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

I could try to grind the calipers some more, but don't know how much more I could grind. I'd like to try them anyways. Who knows, they might clear.

Free? Seriously, I appreciate it!

Yeah, it's on May 1st. I'll have to head up there sometime before the race and see what I need to do to make the 15s fit. I think my car would work really well on a 24.5 slick.
If you can find a 15" Ford wheel, you can use it to check clearances. My M&Hs are mounted on AR 15x8 Ford wheels w/4" backspacing. The slicks will restrict your turning radius a bit, and the same for the DRs.

If you can get to my house by 10AM on that Sunday, we can check wheel clearances then. I'll take the tow truck to KC and we can load the tires, jack, air pump and any other misc in the truck and convoy to KC.

???
Old 04-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Conecarver

Glad you had a great time - yep it's a ton more fun than drag. SCCA stopped using HPT for autox nationals after 2008 when they moved to Lincoln, NE. That was also the site of the road racing Natl Runoff's from 06-08 til they moved to Wisc. I would've killed to live out there those years

I still have (2) 16x8.5" Kosei wheels for sale in the classifieds ($250) if anybody wants em. They'd make great fantastic autox / roadracing wheels (and possibly decent drag too).
Old 04-18-2011, 10:29 AM

If you can find a 15" Ford wheel, you can use it to check clearances. My M&Hs are mounted on AR 15x8 Ford wheels w/4" backspacing. The slicks will restrict your turning radius a bit, and the same for the DRs.

If you can get to my house by 10AM on that Sunday, we can check wheel clearances then. I'll take the tow truck to KC and we can load the tires, jack, air pump and any other misc in the truck and convoy to KC.

???
I don't really have access to any 15" ford wheels. Turning radius won't bother me, I'll just be going straight.
Race registration starts at 10am so I'd like to get to KCIR at that time. What if I got to your house around 8:30am?
It takes an hour to get to KCIR from your house right?

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Glad you had a great time - yep it's a ton more fun than drag. SCCA stopped using HPT for autox nationals after 2008 when they moved to Lincoln, NE. That was also the site of the road racing Natl Runoff's from 06-08 til they moved to Wisc. I would've killed to live out there those years
Yeah it was cool! That is for sure.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

I don't really have access to any 15" ford wheels. Turning radius won't bother me, I'll just be going straight.
Race registration starts at 10am so I'd like to get to KCIR at that time. What if I got to your house around 8:30am?
It takes an hour to get to KCIR from your house right?
OK - 8:30AM would be fine with me. The coffee will be hot. KCIR is 87 miles from my house, so maybe 1 1/2 hours - traffic should be light on Sunday morning! I still have the helmet... I'll have everything else ready to go. I'll PM you with my cell number, if you don't have it....
Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 PM

OK - 8:30AM would be fine with me. The coffee will be hot. KCIR is 87 miles from my house, so maybe 1 1/2 hours - traffic should be light on Sunday morning! I still have the helmet... I'll have everything else ready to go. I'll PM you with my cell number, if you don't have it....
Perfect! That sounds like a good plan.