Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

Torres in Jersey City -> no good

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 12:19 PM

Torres in Jersey City -> no good

Here's my story. I went to Torres in Jersey City, NJ to mount the tires on the wheels that I had a great deal from MaxedUp. First, I went to Pepboys. It was the closer one. And the guy at the Pepboys told me that since my rims didn't come with a "plastic proctection around the wheel" he cannot guarantee that they will not scratch the wheels. And he recommended to go to Torres since they have the equipment to do this.

So I went to Torres. Guys seemed to be cool. I waited about 2 hours. They charged $100 for locks and mounting and balancing. I thought "okay cool" since they had the epuipment and stuff I would pay although it seemed a bit high.

Now for the real story. I went out for a dinner right after the installation. When I was done with the dinner and I noticed my rear left tire seemed a bit flat. I pressed the tire to feel the pressure. It was quite low, but not flat. I stoped by a gas station and put some air in thinking they must have forgotten to completely inflate the tire.

Next morning. Nope they didn't. They just didn't do it right. The tire was completely flat. NO PRESSURE on the tire! I had to go back to the gas station driving on the flat tire to put some more air in so that I can drive to them for re-mounting (they are about 10 miles away). I coudln't use the spare because the stock wrench didn't fit the new wheels.

I showed up at Torres and explained the situation. They told me something about the wheel having tiny screw that holds up the valve stem and said that these would eventually loosen up while driving because of the vibration. I am thinking BS - if that was true how come other wheels are fine! Anyway, I appear agreeing and they say they will fix it. I was thiking as long as you fix it I don't care what BS reason you'd me telling.

I waited about 3 hours. A looong wait to fix one wheel. While I was waiting I tried to keep an eye on what they are doing to my wheel. And to my amzement they were using crow bars to pry the tire off the wheel!!!! Then I thought they must know what they are doing and tried to put it off my mind.

After 3 hours, they remount the wheel on the car and off I go. They didn't charge for this. I was thinking great. Everythins is fixed and I am done with the whole thing.

Boy was I WRONG! First, I took a long distance trip to upstate NY and noticed horrible vibration while driving on the high way. It turned out that they did NOT balance anything. In addition to this, when I arrived I notice this shy streak on the edge of the wheel. At that point I was thinking. It couldn't be. It couldn't be..... My worst nightmare became true. The shy streak I was seeing was bare metal of the wheel. The wheel had scratches. It looked just like somebody used crows bar to pry something

Anyway, I balanced the wheels while I was in upstate NY and this whole deal came to an end. I am not going back to Torres to ask for damages or anything. It's just not worth it. I am just not going to use them ever and I want you to do the same. I am going to use more reputable places like national chains.

Thanks for reading my rant if you cam this far

I'll post some pics the damage later this weekend.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:49 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Greeeeeat! Now I'm even more friggen scared to rebalance my wheels.

Last time they fuked them up and of course I threw the wheel weight a few days later, but I'm so fearful of getting damage I've been driving on it anyways with the vibration. Now I've got a leak on the tire that has a patch but no signs of a foreign object, so I've been nursing it because I don't want to risk them using crowbars like last time.

So, after reading this, I think I'll just buy new rims/tires from Tirerack. Hopefully, between now and next time I need a flat repair/balance, I'll have found a shop that actually cares about not fuking **** up.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1

Last time they fuked them up and of course I threw the wheel weight a few days later, but I'm so fearful of getting damage I've been driving on it anyways with the vibration. Now I've got a leak on the tire that has a patch but no signs of a foreign object, so I've been nursing it because I don't want to risk them using crowbars like last time.

So, after reading this, I think I'll just buy new rims/tires from Tirerack. Hopefully, between now and next time I need a flat repair/balance, I'll have found a shop that actually cares about not fuking **** up.
most of the guys in jersey city go to ACTION TIRES IN LODI.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1

Exactly IceY2K1! I really like the wheels I have, but all this trouble and aggrevation it's just not worth it.

I guess next time (if ever) I'll just order the whole thing from tire rack.

I guess lesson learned....
Old 09-23-2003, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by 97GLES
most of the guys in jersey city go to ACTION TIRES IN LODI.
I should have asked you and the ORG memebers first. I guess I learn my lesson this way...
Old 10-04-2003, 08:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by HKMax
Here's my story. I went to Torres in Jersey City, NJ to mount the tires on the wheels that I had a great deal from MaxedUp. First, I went to Pepboys. It was the closer one. And the guy at the Pepboys told me that since my rims didn't come with a "plastic proctection around the wheel" he cannot guarantee that they will not scratch the wheels. And he recommended to go to Torres since they have the equipment to do this.

So I went to Torres. Guys seemed to be cool. I waited about 2 hours. They charged $100 for locks and mounting and balancing. I thought "okay cool" since they had the epuipment and stuff I would pay although it seemed a bit high.

Now for the real story. I went out for a dinner right after the installation. When I was done with the dinner and I noticed my rear left tire seemed a bit flat. I pressed the tire to feel the pressure. It was quite low, but not flat. I stoped by a gas station and put some air in thinking they must have forgotten to completely inflate the tire.

Next morning. Nope they didn't. They just didn't do it right. The tire was completely flat. NO PRESSURE on the tire! I had to go back to the gas station driving on the flat tire to put some more air in so that I can drive to them for re-mounting (they are about 10 miles away). I coudln't use the spare because the stock wrench didn't fit the new wheels.

I showed up at Torres and explained the situation. They told me something about the wheel having tiny screw that holds up the valve stem and said that these would eventually loosen up while driving because of the vibration. I am thinking BS - if that was true how come other wheels are fine! Anyway, I appear agreeing and they say they will fix it. I was thiking as long as you fix it I don't care what BS reason you'd me telling.

I waited about 3 hours. A looong wait to fix one wheel. While I was waiting I tried to keep an eye on what they are doing to my wheel. And to my amzement they were using crow bars to pry the tire off the wheel!!!! Then I thought they must know what they are doing and tried to put it off my mind.

After 3 hours, they remount the wheel on the car and off I go. They didn't charge for this. I was thinking great. Everythins is fixed and I am done with the whole thing.

Boy was I WRONG! First, I took a long distance trip to upstate NY and noticed horrible vibration while driving on the high way. It turned out that they did NOT balance anything. In addition to this, when I arrived I notice this shy streak on the edge of the wheel. At that point I was thinking. It couldn't be. It couldn't be..... My worst nightmare became true. The shy streak I was seeing was bare metal of the wheel. The wheel had scratches. It looked just like somebody used crows bar to pry something

Anyway, I balanced the wheels while I was in upstate NY and this whole deal came to an end. I am not going back to Torres to ask for damages or anything. It's just not worth it. I am just not going to use them ever and I want you to do the same. I am going to use more reputable places like national chains.

Thanks for reading my rant if you cam this far

I'll post some pics the damage later this weekend.
Dude, sorry to hear about that. You can mess up on your own, you don't need anyone else messing up for you. Can you recommend anyone for general maintenance or even a diagnostic? I'm in Jersey City and thought you may have some ideas.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:10 PM

I really don't know any place around here except Pepboys. I live in Newport area and the area isn't that car friendly. And I do most of my maintenence in upstate NY since I visit there quite often. I know I can't do this forever and it looks like I have to find some reliable place soon. I heard people go to Union city for services...
Old 07-23-2004, 11:18 AM

HKMax, I just bought a 2000 GLE a couple weeks ago.

I’m planning on taking it to the same place I took my last car for regular maintenance over the last 3 years: The Gulf on Willow and 14 in Hoboken.

The mechanic there, John, hasn’t let me down yet and seems like an honest dude.

In fact, my last car had a bunch of problems with the wheels and AC, so I took it in to get an estimate on the repairs.

I told him that if they estimate was really high, I was just going to sell the car.

Sure enough, the car was pretty banged up needing a new AC and new tires.

He told me I’d be better off getting a new car (recommended the Maxima) and didn’t charge me for the inspection.

Again, this isn’t a 100% guarantee that you’re going to have a good experience there, but I imagine you’re better off doing that than hitting up the Pep Boys.

Take care,

Clyde.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:47 PM

guys in northern jersey, i know a great mechanic for you, his name is Dave and he shop is SmileyGarage (www.smileygarage.com). very honest, and he knows wut he's doin.

located in Bergenfield, NJ

for references ask HarrisH or MaxMojo

if u need anything just call him up or stop by and let him know that Parag sent u, or give me a shout and i'll go with u.

hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a NICE & Deep Scratch on my RIM from Mavis Discount Mexican Tire!!! , Balanced the wheels like crap, improper tire inflation.. i had to pay my nissan dealer to rebalance the tires... and i paid 40$ at bookstore @ the mall and buy a smart gauge to make sure my air pressure was 32 stock cold , no one has put the right pressure in my tires, dealer put 34 hot, 30 cold , nice and soft ride but under inflated tires...

buy a air compressor from walmart, a expensive smart gauge not the **** ones at the stores.. digital .
Old 07-23-2004, 08:50 PM

Thanks guys for recommendations. It's been a while since this episode and I have changed the wheels. Got them from tirerack and came balanced and with hubrings. Coudln't be happier.

Hey Clyde, we live pretty close!