Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

Hats off to Ken Athas at Jerry Rome Nissan (JRNissanParts)

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 06:13 PM

Hats off to Ken Athas at Jerry Rome Nissan (JRNissanParts)

This one is long so please get your coffee. I apologize for the length of the post but the read is well worth it.

I purchased a CD Changer from Ken back in May as my original one was on its way out (it still works but only reads pressed or Sony media). The purchase date was 05/29/2003. I received the package which included the Changer itself and the Install kit. The install kit was included in the deal and I have been using a 95 install kit so that the changer installs on the roof of the trunk. I opened the bigger box and saw a pretty much new CD changer box and a sealed new install kit box so I packed it away (without opening the CD changer) in my garage. I had no reason to open everything as I was buying from a dealership and not from fleabay.

Well, three weeks ago, I decided to open the package and lo and behold, there was no Changer in the box. I bit my tongue. I know I know. I should have checked the contents. Now here I am 9 months later with only the install kit.
It was a Saturday and finally, very embarrassed, I picked up the phone and dialed the number on the receipt. I talked to a gentleman there who said Ken did not work Saturdays.

So, on Monday, I call Ken. He is as baffled as I am but you know after 9 months who can do anything for you. So, as expected I heard the worst from Ken and I chimed in saying "the whole idea of calling you was to check if you came up with an extra changer in you yearly inventory". To which he said there were no adjustments done to the inventory. So, I thanked him for his effort and said "I suppose I will chalk this one up as an expensive lesson learnt" and he claimed that he was as baffled and embarrassed as I was. He asked me to hold on and put me on hold.

Less than a couple minutes later he comes back and announces that it was my lucky day that day. When I asked to clarify here is what he had to say.
The Changer was sitting in his display shelf. Apparently, the person who had shipped the changer had shipped me the empty box of the display unit. He shipped me the changer the same day.

All I could do was try to pull me out of the shock. I had no hope of getting the changer. Ken did NOT have to say it was their mistake as I was already SOL due to the fact that I failed to notice that the CD changer box was opened and the changer was actually not in there for NINE months. But he owned up to the mistake and sent me a changer after a whopping 9 months.

Thanks a lot Ken. I have never seen this level of customer service from anybody.

I purposely made a separate post as I felt this needed its own post. Also, I came back after a while to post as with the server issues and no search I had pretty much stopped visiting the ORG. But I felt that I owed Ken at least this much for his honesty.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by dvpatel99se
This one is long so please get your coffee. I apologize for the length of the post but the read is well worth it.

I purchased a CD Changer from Ken back in May as my original one was on its way out (it still works but only reads pressed or Sony media). The purchase date was 05/29/2003. I received the package which included the Changer itself and the Install kit. The install kit was included in the deal and I have been using a 95 install kit so that the changer installs on the roof of the trunk. I opened the bigger box and saw a pretty much new CD changer box and a sealed new install kit box so I packed it away (without opening the CD changer) in my garage. I had no reason to open everything as I was buying from a dealership and not from fleabay.

Well, three weeks ago, I decided to open the package and lo and behold, there was no Changer in the box. I bit my tongue. I know I know. I should have checked the contents. Now here I am 9 months later with only the install kit.
It was a Saturday and finally, very embarrassed, I picked up the phone and dialed the number on the receipt. I talked to a gentleman there who said Ken did not work Saturdays.

So, on Monday, I call Ken. He is as baffled as I am but you know after 9 months who can do anything for you. So, as expected I heard the worst from Ken and I chimed in saying "the whole idea of calling you was to check if you came up with an extra changer in you yearly inventory". To which he said there were no adjustments done to the inventory. So, I thanked him for his effort and said "I suppose I will chalk this one up as an expensive lesson learnt" and he claimed that he was as baffled and embarrassed as I was. He asked me to hold on and put me on hold.

Less than a couple minutes later he comes back and announces that it was my lucky day that day. When I asked to clarify here is what he had to say.
The Changer was sitting in his display shelf. Apparently, the person who had shipped the changer had shipped me the empty box of the display unit. He shipped me the changer the same day.

All I could do was try to pull me out of the shock. I had no hope of getting the changer. Ken did NOT have to say it was their mistake as I was already SOL due to the fact that I failed to notice that the CD changer box was opened and the changer was actually not in there for NINE months. But he owned up to the mistake and sent me a changer after a whopping 9 months.

Thanks a lot Ken. I have never seen this level of customer service from anybody.

I purposely made a separate post as I felt this needed its own post. Also, I came back after a while to post as with the server issues and no search I had pretty much stopped visiting the ORG. But I felt that I owed Ken at least this much for his honesty.

Thanks so much for the post. We here truly VALUE our customers, and intend to do what it takes to show that we are the Nissan dealer to do business with, both locally and via the web.

Thanks again.