Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

Customer blackmail, why does it come down to this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 06:57 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Damn, this business if frustrating at times. I'm out of the country dealing with what has turned into a grave family emergency, and I get the message below (like the caps?). If you have any interest in truth and objectivity, (or would like a glimpse into the joys of trying to run a small parts business that has yet to make a dime profit after its second year, while maintaining the full time-plus University position I hold in order to feed my family) please give this long message a read.

Some of you may have read about the original circumstances I posted about a week ago. Without identifying or giving any hint of who the customer was, I asked others if they could imagine, under any circumstances, how a FSTB bar strut tower bolt-down bracket could spontaneously buckle so high that the hood wouldn't close.

As I said then, its bolted to the strut towers, how on earth could they -- under any circumstances -- move inwards toward each other enough to cause this? I was open to any suggestions, but no one else had a clue either. Hundreds, if not housands of these have been sold to Maxima owners by Cattman and other dealers and there is no evidence that I am aware of that 1) its happened before, and 2) its physically possible. Even to the non-mechanically inclined, this should seem questionable and pretty bizarre.

Briefly, it seemed incredible to me and still does, as there are no moving parts -- its just a friggin bar that connects the two strut tower bars for crying out loud, and how could they move towards each other enough to buckle the bar? They waver enough to cause steering yaw, and that's why the FSTB is of value, but that dimensional deformation is involves fractions of inches, not the amount of movement or force needed to severely bend a bracket. My only experience with an issue like this is when my last Maxima got side-whacked directly into the engine compartment, the bracket bent -- slightly, but enough to have to be replaced -- but the car was totalled and the axle punched through the transmission.

My first thought while speaking to this VERY abrasive, rude and argumentative customer on the phone was that a car wreck was involved, and gee, sorry, but that definitely falls outside of my warranty coverage. He demanded to immediately have his money refunded without providing any evidence of what had happened. I held my tongue about seemingly dubious circumstances and simply told him that i would need to inspect the part before I could make any determination about it and that if I could come up with any circumstance that might cause this problem through inspection of asking around about similar situations (the reason for my initial question to the forum), I would make things right with him. Then, when I handed the phone back to the nice lady who takes orders for the ordering service I use, he started threatening her with calling his credit card company and getting the charges cancelled.

What else could I do in response than what I did? Plenty would have told him to bugger off, but I was very reasonable and polite, despite the fact that it seemed very possible that the claim was bogus. What would you do under the circumstances? Some might say, pay him off, its not worth the bother, but as a matter of principle that's not the way I run this business. I don't give in to threats and I don't give in to blackmail. Cattman Performance is a very small business and I cannot afford to establish a pattern of letting people take advantage of us that way.

He didn't attempt to do anything I'd asked him to, he just started spewing to the forums, and sending a long string of obnoxious emails to harass my poor wife, who is struggling to cope in my absence.

I'll be straightforward and address the second issue he raised with me and in his "messages" to the forum. ADDCO apparently placed an incorrect hardware piece in the kit. I've really gotten on them about this, but it happens occaisionally. That's not good, but the flip side is that when it does occur, they are very responsive. I ask the customer to call them directly when there's a parts issue because 1) only the customer can describe the wrong part correctly and respond to ADDCO's questions (since its in front of them, not me) and 2) I don't carry an inventory of spare ADDCO parts, and 3) because ADDCO is very good about responding to these issues and will overnight the correct part immediately directly to the customers address of choice (you don't even have to send back the old one). Its a great bar and one heck of a value for $145 (gold tone)/$160 (black powdercoat), but occaisionally they goof up. I'm sorry when that happens, but want the customer to be taken care of in the most expeditous way, and calling ADDCO up directly is by far the best way to accomplish it. The customer was informed of every aspect of what I write here about it. He chose to scream and cry instead of following a logical and not overly burdensome solution. 24 hours -- all it would have taken to fix this but apparently he still hasn't bothered.

So, after all of this, the guy starts writing to the forums, trying to viciously smear my company. He's been wronged terribly, and what horrible customer service Cattman Performance has. Sorry, we've made our mistakes just like everyone else -- including those companies he's "telling" people to go to instead -- but I'm very attentive to customer issues and Cattman Performance has never left a customer with a legitimate claim holding the bag within the reasonable parameters of our company policies. This is extremely important to me, and I spend from 9pm-1 or 2am every single day giving it my attention. That's after I've finished my 50-60 hour University job and given a woefully inadequate scrap of attention to my wife and little girl. My customer service and product support policies are consistant with, and in many ways more liberal, than industry standards and they are stated in literature sent with every part ordered.

As the message from him below clearly indicates, he doesn't care how truthful the claims sound -- he doesn't even really touch on whether his claim is legitimate or not -- his stated objective is to slander my company until I cave in and send him his money. Not going to happen. Nothing's changed. My policy is that under these circumstances I still need to see the FSTB before I can do anything about that, and that he needs to call ADDCO, the original manufacturer, to source a replacement part.

This is not unreasonable, and it sure isn't grounds for acting so friggin obnoxious about things. He can continue to ignore my original instructions and leave his situation unresolved forever if he chooses, but in the meantime I appeal to the logic, common sense and decency of the forum members, to see through this kind of crap and perhaps walk for a second in my shoes.

Anyway, noting that I don't take any kind of salary or compensation for my time, Cattman Performance only had a net loss of $3000 this last year (better than $12000 in 1999), so I guess that things are getting better. And, with the support of the many loyal Cattman customers and the introduction of several new products this year -- that no one else in this world was willing to risk funding or designing, refining and producing (Quaife differential, some incredible coilovers, and several other upcoming products, adding to several other parts that we were first to produce) -- we really hope to get Cattman Performance into the black for the first time in 2001!

But do me a favor, when someone like this guy starts flipping this kind of crap, take a moment and think what sort of selfish, unreasonable motivations may lie behind it.

Go ahead and read what this charming individual wrote to me below. It will probably sound like I'm whining to some, but things are real tough at the moment and I had to at least tell my side of the story.

Brian C. Catts
Cattman Performance

HI BRIAN... REMEMBER TALKIN TO ME ABOUT ABOUT THE PROBELM I HAD WITH THE FSTB? MY NAME IS KEVIN FROM NY... NOT ONLY AM I STILL MISSING HARDWARE FROM MY RSB THAT I ORDERED FROM YOU AND STILL DOIN YOUR WORK BY CALLIN ADDCO MYSLEF BECAUSE YOUR COMPANY CANT BE BOTHERED TO DO IT, BUT YOU INSISTED ON MAKING A BIG DEAL ABOUT GIVING ME MY MONEY BACK FOR THE FSTB ,AND THEN DECIDED TO GO ONTO A FORUM TELLIN MY LIL 'OL TALE TRYIN TO MAKE ME LOOK LIKE SOME SORT OF FOOL BY TWISTING THE TRUTH. WELL... I DIDNT LIKE THAT TOO MUCH SO IVE TAKEN IT UPON MYSELF TO LOG ONTO EVERY MAXIMA FORUM I CAN FIND POSTING MESSAGES ABOUT HOW BAD YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS AND HOW YOU'VE MADE NO ATTEMPT TO TAKE CARE OF THESE PROBLEMS TO THIS DAY, AND RECOMEND EVERYONE TO GOTO STREETBEAT OR COURTESY NISSAN FOR THEIR NEEDS... CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSLEF MAN.... ALL BECUASE YOU COULDNT EVEN OFFER ME AN EXCHANGE ..
INSTEAD YOU WANTED A PICTURE.. LMAO.. WELL.. JUST TO LET YA KNOW... I HAD ALOMST 300 VEIWS WITHIN THE FIRST FEW HOURS JUST ON THE MAXIMA.ORG FORUM ALONE.. I DONT CARE WHAT THE PEOPLE R SAYING ABOUT ME IN THERE IN THERE.. AS LONG AS IT GETS READ.. CAUSE IF I CAN SWAY JUST ONE CUSTOMER AWAY FROM YOUR BUSINESS ( AND WE BOTH KNOW IM GONNA CONVINCE MORE THAN THAT, CHECK OUT SOME OF THE RESPONSES YOURSELF ) YOU WOULDA BEEN BETTER OFF JUST GIVING ME MY MONEY BACK WITH OUT A HASSLE... OR IN THE LEAST OFFERED ME AN EXCHANGE... BUT INSTEAD YOU WANTED TO PLAY CHILDISH GAMES ON THE FORUM SO NOW THATS HOW ITS GONNA BE. YOU SHOULDA THOUGT ABOUT SOMETHIN FIRST THOUGH.. WHO HAS MORE TO LOOSE FROM THIS?? YOU OR ME?? ANYWAY.. I PLAN ON KEEPING ALL THE FORUM PEOPLE UPDATED ON HOW YOU CONTINUE TO DO NOTHIN TO FIX THE SITUAITON ON A REGUALR BASIS... WANT ME TO POST A RETRACTION? DO THE RITE THING..
Old 04-02-2001, 07:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the response. I'm going to move this to the Dealership and Shop Experiences section, but leave a link here in General for you.
Old 04-02-2001, 07:08 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

A friendly warning

to everyone.

Be VERY careful with how you respond to this.

I will leave it in this discussion for now, but if some choose to make it a "Bash Cattman" thread, your posts will be deleted or edited.

Feel free to state your opinions, but DON'T go down the personal route.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2001, 07:27 AM
Pusssseeeehhhh

It would be a true dissapointment to see someone not buy from cattman based soley on this irrational customer....I think that cattman's response was well written and honest which in itself is more then you get from most companies bureaucratic mombo jumbo. Its the innovators like cattman that make things happen and bring ideas to life.
Old 04-02-2001, 07:56 AM

don't worry about that kid...
Old 04-02-2001, 07:58 AM

For what its worth. I got my RSB from cattman. His service is good. His prices are good. People have to understand that cattman performance is a small operation. He can't do everything those big companies do. But I'm sure he can give you better personal service. I e-mailed Brian about the RSB install and he promptly provided me pictures of the install to help me along and answered all my questions. Anyways, I really don't think providing proof of defect should be a problem. Just take some pictures to prove you're not a liar.. Then you will get whats comming to you.

ZuM
Old 04-02-2001, 08:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My dad owns a small business too and I've had the pleasure (and horror) of working with him during some summer months.

Cattman's response was indeed well written and honest. And it just makes the angry customer seem even more irrational and his demands look just plain looney. The customer is not always right. I've come to realize that when answering some phone calls that sound just like this customer.

Keep up the good work Cattman.
Old 04-02-2001, 08:09 AM

Integrity is worth more than pleasing everyone

You're a great supporter of the Maxima community with products that are tried and true. The problem here is that everyone has an opinion and most people are stupid. Someone in your profession will deal with ignorance at a greater scale then most and I commend you on your behavior thus far. The customer isn't alway right. After all, a true enthusiast wouldn't slander, but rather work to help himself by helping the community by helping the supporters such as yourself.
Old 04-02-2001, 08:21 AM

As of yet, I have not had the please sure of doing business with Cattman Performance but in the coming months I hope to. I, as well as many many other maxima enthusiasts fully appreciate the hard work and effort that guys like Brian and Don and other "small scale" operations put forth to help out the fledgling maxima community. I've been on the boards for a long time and to be honest, have never read more than 2 or 3 complaints about Cattman service and the people complaining all appeared to be the type of person who would complain if the sun wasn't out. Dealing with people on phones all day I see the side of irrational people that disgusts me, but unfortunately these people are a part of life and everyone is going to have to deal with them from time to time. Brian, please don't take one ridiculous customers words or actions personally. I'm sure that most if not all members of this board see through this guy and appreciate the hard work and great service that Cattman Performance has been bringing to the Maxima community. Anyone who doesn't see that and believes a joker like "kevin in ny" - well, Cattman didn't need their business anyway.

Best Regards,
Chris
Old 04-02-2001, 08:49 AM

I'm glad I read this post.

I've been in the same situation where I've received "blackmail" offers from people in this community who are quick to ask for a refund or exchange on a product ( I also sell FSTB,RSTB struts, springs, etc) and do not offer any explaination as to how, what, where, etc. the problem occured or condition of the product.

Whether you guys know it or not, the Manufacturers have warranty guidelines that distributors/dealers have to adhere to in order to get products replaced. No business can afford to ship out parts and just give unwarranted refunds. If this guy had purchased this from Me, Courtesy, Stillen or anyone else, he would still have to produce the parts first, offer explanation, and, in this case, prove how a flat metal bar (that is tight between the towers anyway) bend upward (there's not enough slack for that to happen (unless the towers are closer together now....(wreck)).

These are some of the reasons that we are cautious about our business practices. I have 3 valvebodies here right now that are missing so many parts, that the $500 cores will be charged to the customers cards, simply because they didn't take the time to ensure they sent back all the required parts. Some are missing 8-10 bolts, and the linkage pins. These are delaying other customers orders, so it effects everyone. In my case, I ship out the VB WITHOUT charging the Core fee as a courtesy to the group, but have to change it for these reasons. And these are the problems I have to deal with for trying to make a product easier to purchase, install, etc.

This post seems to be a sore spot for me, and we deal with a lot of younger people in this group that feel the only way to get something resolved is behind closed doors, on a computer, using a fake name. Its much easier to deal with anyone if you don't threaten them first

Don Cooper
(Don in Texas)
MobileTek Racing
Houston, Texas
Old 04-02-2001, 09:48 AM

I know your goal is NOT conflict, so forgive me for suggesting this:

I don't think it's legal for this kid to do his best to torpedo Cattman, under any circumstances, and you may find a lawyer will tell you his efforts are libelous, or illegal defamation at the least. I'm not saying you should look for damages, but you may be able to have a jusge issue an order that he cease such online writings.

As for his rantings' effect ... nobody takes childish behavior like this seriously, especially not intelligent folks who understand how these parts work (not to mention how immature threats work).

Hal
Old 04-02-2001, 10:05 AM
I'm needing a caw

It's plainly obvious that this person really has no idea how to deal w/ aftermarket parts suppliers or makers in general.

It's common policy for the maker or seller to require that a "defective" part be inspected before any warranty consideration is done. I work in purchasing for industrial products so, I should know a "thing" or two. If it's a really small item, then it's sometimes easier just to send another part but doing that adds up for the small business owner too.

Addco: Well it looks like the guy did exactly what Brian told him to do. Then he complains? The point was to get the hardware to him as fast as possible and that was the way. Any questions?

Front strut tower brace: Well no pic? No decent explaination? Nuff said

Regardless of what happened, the way this guy handled himself was plain wrong. I can guarantee you that 90% of all these "views" were just curious people that like to read the drama. My opinion of Cattman hasn't changed and the rantings of one inmature poster isn't gonna change it.
Old 04-02-2001, 12:07 PM
OG and counting...

As a person who was on the Domestic side of the fence and a person who works in a near customer service environment at his current job, I understand the frustrations that people like Cattman and Don go through in dealing with irrational customers.

It takes a lot of patience and cunning to deal with a myriad of customers on a daily basis. Brian, I do applaud you on your response because you tried to handle this situation rationally and fairly and that is all that we as Maxima Owners want.

BTW, Don and Brian, You will be getting some business from me in the coming months.
Old 04-02-2001, 12:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brian:

We know where you are coming from, there are always a few who think they can bully companies into returns or replacements with no backup. We (and most businesses) have found that those that use those tactics are seldom credible and the proof is usually lacking.

When I have had a problem with something I have purchased asking in a nice way usually gets me a better response than the threat or scream approach, especially when I include some proof of my claim.

Dallas WarpSpeed Performance
Old 04-02-2001, 05:44 PM

Re: A friendly warning

Originally posted by bill99gxe
to everyone.

Be VERY careful with how you respond to this.

I will leave it in this discussion for now, but if some choose to make it a "Bash Cattman" thread, your posts will be deleted or edited.

Feel free to state your opinions, but DON'T go down the personal route.

Thanks!
Care to explain what you mean Bill?
Is making a negative comment on Cattman's products/service considered "Bash Cattman"??
Old 04-03-2001, 07:23 AM

I have been researching the aftermarket parts available for the Maxima and compared them to the quality of other makes aftermarket parts. I am glad that companies like Cattman, MobileTek, and others are in business. They provide a high quality product at a reasonable price. The parts for the Maxima are as good as or better than what is available for the other makes. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-03-2001, 02:09 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

A Satisfied Customer

Understanding your frustration. We come across certain 'unreasonable' and out right rude customers from time to time in the retail business, of any industry. I happened to recently purchased Cattman fstb and Addco rsb. The products are sturdy and well made. Other Maxima owners with Cattman products who I know are by large very content with their purchase. Brian, this one goes out to you and the Cattman family.

AnGe
Old 04-05-2001, 08:37 AM

No, not really

Originally posted by WoodEar

Care to explain what you mean Bill?
Is making a negative comment on Cattman's products/service considered "Bash Cattman"??
because I already stated it. Don't like repeating myself.

To answer your other question, a negative comment on experience with products/service is not "Bash Cattman". A negative comment about an experience where the purchaser has screwed something up and tries to blame the seller by being a crybaby and spamming every board on .org is considered a "Bash Cattman" post.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:45 AM

Thanks SprintMax

Originally posted by SprintMax
this is the last time i am going to tell you to stay away from my woman.. do it again and i am going to pull your tounge behind you and shove it up your ***

For keeping that < LICK > quote in your post......I suspect KCTYPHOON has a short time left on the island.