Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

Not happy AT ALL with Maximum Tuning, never dealing with them again.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
It needs to be stated that the first person to damage the transmission was Harris himself. He put the transmission in the trunk of his car and drove it back home for a couple hundred

miles and what happened? A shift linkage ended up getting bent. But, despite that...guessed who fixed the transmission without any qualms or issues? Jeff. And not only that, but he fixed

it...for free. Harris claims he called the shop numerous times, but not once did he leave a message for Jeff to listen to. And Jeff emphasized it greatly, NOT ONCE.

Jeff authorized Tilley and [b]only[/b Tilley] to drop the pan and only once -- no more. He never authorized for anyone else to do it. Harris is also making up stories about customers and issues with customers that Jeff never had.

Jeff never had a customer named John with a 3.5L swap and a car that sat there for 4 months. The only person he could think of was a kid named Tino (I think was the name) and he said that that guy had no qualms with him and was very happy. So that's not it.

Because you brought up Sum1Punjabi -- we looked up his record and noted that he never returned back to Jeff for complications with his VB install after it was done in 2004. He did, however, return 8 months later in April of 2005 but for a completely different issue. If Punjabi had an issue with Jeff he should've visited him instantly. It's entirely possible that the guys who took apart his transmission probably never took apart his valve body to rebuild it and clean it out. Then when the MT VB was removed, the problem went away. But Jeff had no idea that there was a problem with Punjabi in the first place, otherwise he'd have rectified the situation.

CMax's engine wasn't rebuilt by MT -- another shop (in Queens, I believe) did that. In fact, when CMax began having issues with his new motor, it was Jeff who informed CMax that the motor he had installed was a junked motor. And Jeff helped CMax out. Once again, Jeff is the good guy here.

Doug's issues were never about his valve body and Jeff ALWAYS attempted to fix the issue and not once charged Doug for anything, aside from the install and purchase of the VB. The VB was NOT at fault, rather there was a faulty wire tapped into Doug's TCM. Issue fixed at no expense to Doug. Jeff's once again the good guy.

TJ's issues didn't have much to do with Jeff either. TJ brought Jeff an incomplete and used supercharger kit, and Jeff custom fabricated TJ the parts that were missing. After the install, Jeff had NO idea that TJ had a minor quip with the SC. Had TJ informed Jeff, he'd have gladly taken a look at it (just like Jeff was taking a look at Max_speed97's SC yesterday). If TJ had transmission work done by Jeff and is having an issue with it now, he needs to go and take it back to Jeff and tell him the issue and not skirt it and talk about it on the forum. Don't make Jeff sound like he won't fix a problem when it's reported to him.

Harris claims he never wants to deal with MT again...yet he runs back to them demanding they fix his torque converter...after he voided the warranty of the transmission? If he doesn't want to deal with MT anymore, why come back to fix the TC? Seems a little arbitrary to me. Especially since now that we know the transmission got a little banged up when it was in Harris' trunk for a few hundred miles.

Now the whole issue with Harris replicating the problem in front of Dan is a sore spot. The first time Harris showed up, he test drove the car with Jeff and neither of them felt an issue -- to
which Harris said it only happened on occassion. Harris later came back another day when Jeff was out sick and Dan was working on 4 cars all by himself. Harris tried to demonstrate the issue again, but to no avail. So Dan claims Harris left and then came back again after 30 minutes and began to tell him to take a look at the car again -- but with 3 cars in the bay and one outside, Dan claims Harris had began to get a little too talkative when Dan was trying to get work done. Dan told Harris that if he wanted to get the car looked at again, he'd have to leave it overnight. For the record...I know two other ORG members who test drove Harris' car twice and also felt no quirks with his transmission.

Harris claims that because Jeff authorized Tilley to drop the pan, he was under the "impression" it'd be ok to change the VB. No. Removing a part and then putting it back in, is completely different than replacing a part altogether.

Why is that when Harris needed something prior, Jeff would pick up the phone, he would talk to Harris, etc etc. Why would Jeff ignore Harris when Jeff had a brand new valve body waiting for Harris for nearly 3 months? A valve body that Jeff paid for out of his own pocket. Where is that logic in that, folks? Harris spoke to Jeff, and told Jeff that once his car was out of the body shop that he'd come to pick up the new VB. And he never did.

Harris also has a little qualm with another Org member whose name I will not mention. But let's just say that there was a good deal of constant nagging and harrassing as Harris tried to press this member for info about MT -- to the point where the member got very agitated, because despite complications he couldn't say anything terrible about MT.

Jeff has a database of 1250 customers -- 700 of those are us enthusiasts from car forums. Out of 700, Jeff says that he's only had problems with about 5 -- two of which being Harris and Zack. Now, however it may seem on these forums, a lot of these people who complain about Jeff never complain to him personally and they end up bashing him instead of trying to settle it with him. Harris...you voided the warranty of your transmission, which is why Jeff wouldn't work with you anymore. On top of that, it seems like you're fabricating stories about Jeff's shop that never happened. That's the simple matter of things.

Wow okay buddy. Geez where do I start?

JEFF IS A LIAR. I will have John post his invoice, there was a white Maxima that was getting a VQ35 Swap there, I saw it with my own eyes, Doug saw it, since you live in his shop I'm sure you saw it. MT DID DO John's VQ35 swap and YES THEY DID MESS UP. Tilley fixed it, I can have Tilley chime in and point their errors too.

THE SHIFT LINKAGE WAS NOT BENT! I have pictures of the whole install the shift linkage was not even slightly bent, the transmission DID NOT MOVE AROUND IN MY TRUNK as it was blocked in by woodblocks. Jeff didn't do a damn thing for me for free as he charged me for the install, and HE TOLD ME OVER THE GOD DAMN PHONE THAT A SPRING INSIDE, note INSIDE, the transmission was not installed correctly!

TJ's issue did have something do with MT BECAUSE THEY DID NOT TIGHTEN DOWN A CLAMP, that has nothing to do with his parts.

Why am I speaking for other people when they can speak for themselves.

I never want to deal with MT again AFTER THIS! Prior to this I was bitter but was willing to work with them, commen sense buddy, AFTER THIS issue ofcourse I never want to deal with them again.

I can post my phone bill up here for the past 3 months, and you tell me how many times you see a call to their shop. I did not leave any messages because their stupid machine would always cut me off!

I NEVER RODE IN THE CAR WITH JEFF, I NEVER EVEN SAW HIM WHEN I BROUGHT IN THE CAR FOR WORK. I clearly told him the problem was when the car had been sitting overnight, when I went to pick up the car, it was acting up and I was replicating the problem, so Dan at a minimum could've shown me courtesy as I drove quite a while to go down there to here some BS story about not replicating my problem. I never met Jeff when I dropped the car off, nor did I meet him when I picked it up.

Now here's where I am really pist off and will escalate this as far as I can.

HOW DARE SOMEONE ELSE DRIVE MY CAR WITHOUT MY EXPLICIT PERSMISSION. HOW DARE MT GIVE MY CAR TO SOMEONE. HOW DARE THEY!!?!?!!!!!!!!?!?!

THERE YOU HAVE IT FOLKS TAKE YOUR CAR DOWN TO MT SINCE THOSE GUYS ARE SO "BUSY" WORKING ON "3" CARS IN THE BAY, THEY'LL GIVE YOUR CAR TO ANYONE THAT WALKS IN TO TEST DRIVE TO SEE IF THEY SEE ANY QUIRKS.

I swear I will take this FAR as I possibly can, and you publicly stated that MT ADMITS to letting strangers, not even mechanics, people not affliated with me or MT AT ALL drive my car.

I know I had a eerie feeling dropping my car off there, now I know why.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:42 PM

And I tried multiple multiple times to have Jeff authorize a installation of a VB other than their own. I was not able to communicate with them.

Jeff did not authorize only "TILLEY" to drop the pan, he said you can drop the pan, never gave me an amount, never said who.

Wow I still can't believe other people were driving my car, what a sleezball.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:46 PM

Why is that when Harris needed something prior, Jeff would pick up the phone, he would talk to Harris, etc etc. Why would Jeff ignore Harris when Jeff had a brand new valve body waiting for Harris for nearly 3 months? A valve body that Jeff paid for out of his own pocket. Where is that logic in that, folks? Harris spoke to Jeff, and told Jeff that once his car was out of the body shop that he'd come to pick up the new VB. And he never did.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? TJ PLEASE CHIME IN HERE AND TELL THESE FOLKS HOW MANY TIMES I WAS TALKING TO YOU AND WERE BOTH FOR SOMETIMES 1 HOUR + TRYING TO GET A HOLD OFF JEFF. I CAN MY FRIEND COME HERE AND REGISTER AND STATE HOW I CALLED IN DAN SAID HE WAS OUT SICK, HE CALLED IN BECAUSE I TOLD HIM TOO FROM HIS # TEN MINUTES LATER AND HE MYSTERIOUSLY WALKED IN. I WILL BE PULLING UP MY PHONE RECORDS AND POSTING THEM TO SHOW THEIR LACK OF COMMUNICATION. AND THEM BLATANTLY IGNORING MY CALLS.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:58 PM

Because you brought up Sum1Punjabi -- we looked up his record and noted that he never returned back to Jeff for complications with his VB install after it was done in 2004. He did, however, return 8 months later in April of 2005 but for a completely different issue. If Punjabi had an issue with Jeff he should've visited him instantly. It's entirely possible that the guys who took apart his transmission probably never took apart his valve body to rebuild it and clean it out. Then when the MT VB was removed, the problem went away. But Jeff had no idea that there was a problem with Punjabi in the first place, otherwise he'd have rectified the situation.
You are right i never went back to MT about this issue, Cause i found out about the VB being the problem the last time i got my tranny re-built. First time i got it rebuilt it was out some shop in suffolk. worked for 3 months. Then blew again. Then i took it to a shop on northern Blvd. which did a rebuild. and gave me a year warranty. so the next three times it blew i took it back to them. One of the time they gave me a whole new transfer case with a "bulletproof" tranny, they saw my engine wasn' stock so they hooked me up. Upgraded clutchs and TC. All these times i insisted they kept the vb in there cause i liked the quick shifts and never imagined they could be the problem. The 3rd time i had it rebuilt from him the tech mentioned to me i was havin problems cause of the VB. I refused to believe him cause everyone swore by MT and their valve body. How these valve bodies make your transmission last longer. Next time it blew i took it to a shop right off 101 ave and 108st out in Richmond hill. After they took the transmission apart they told me the same exact thing how they won't give me any warranty with the same valve body. And i quote they said "This valve body was poorly and cheaply made". He told me the solenoids should have been more powerfull, and the orifice wasnt drilled out correctly. I figured he didn't know what he was talking about and had them rebuild it, going along with MT and their superior knowledge of maximas. last time i took it to a shop in brooklyn off remsen ave i believe. and they did my final rebuild swapped out the vb and it runs like new. I never made this an issue with MT cause i never knew that was the problem. If i had known before i would have been knocking on jeff's door. At this point it was pointless to do anything about it. But i did call jeff and ask him if he had a stock Valve body. and i needed one to swap the Modded one out. He gave me a quote off $300 and installation. i didnt want to pay twice once at the shop doing the rebuild and at MT. I didnt go at it cause i knew it would be next to impossible to prove his product the reason for all my transmission problem. But i will never go back to MT. I can do my own rebuilds, as of right now im building a real bulletproof tranny with lsd.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

At this point both sides presented their stories. It's up to the forum members to determine who they go to for their work.

harris...your call if you want to takethe legal route.
arnold...i assume you're speaking for Jeff here and not paraphasing.

PM me if you have any questions or issues.
Thanks!
Dan